Democrats propose nationwide 10-cent tax on plastic bags

How about just going back to paper bags I like those better anyway .
You'd think it was asking people to give up their right arms the way they act

Paper has its own problems but i think.most would say they are, at this time, preferable
At the very least go back to the time where you were offered the choice of paper or plastic.

Changing back-and-forth would damage people's sense of security.

I still like a good old fashioned Coke out of a glass bottle. I also remember drinking milk out of a glass bottle. It seemed so much better tasting or maybe I simply destroyed my taste buds with hot sauce.

When I lived in Chicago for awhile in '89, they still had the 5-gallon glass water containers. I carried it more than half a mile from the health food store on my back 'cause my car didn't work, and I was flat broke.

Lead by example. Petition stores to give incentives for using re-usable bags.

Don't go running to government to force the rest of us to follow your moral code.
We often make selfish decisions that have little negative impact individually but cause great harm when the masses act that way.

It's called the tragedy of the commons

plastic bags are not going to be the cause of the demise of the commons. There is no reason the feds need to get involved in this, except to please some busybody environmentalist rich twats who haven't probably shopped on their own in decades.
Right. Plastic bags have no negative impact on the environment. There is not a giant floating mass of plastic in the pacific.

Do you agree that it would be environmentally beneficial to use fewer plastic bags?

It would be environmentally beneficial if a few million people killed themselves, want to make a federal law mandating that? Want to volunteer?
This is why you can't be taken seriously. You want to equate a small tax on an environmentally unfriendly product that has inexpensive and more friendly substitutes to mandatory suicide.

You have gone completely off the deep end here

Exaggeration is often used to emphasize a concept.

The imposition of a tax on people because of your "feels" is not the point of the federal government.

Go out and convince people yourself if you believe in it so much, stop using government to bully people.

Thank God I only use bags made from baby seals and spotted owls.

House Democrats have introduced legislation that would impose a 10-cent tax on plastic bags nationwide.

Rep. Alan S. Lowenthal, California Democrat, introduced the Trash Reduction Act of 2015 on Thursday in an effort to “dramatically reduce plastic trash nationwide,” according to a press release. He said he hopes the plastic bag models in California and the District of Columbia can be expanded nationwide.

Democrats propose 10-cent tax on plastic bags nationwide - Washington Times

More of the Democrats war on the poor and the middle class. More taxes.
right. because the poor and middle class can't be bothered to use a paper or canvas bag. that's for rich folk

You have to remember to take the re-usable bags, you have to clean them, you have to schedule your day better. You have to know exactly how much you will be shopping for.

That's all well and good for the limousine liberals who have their servants do the shopping, but I guess the poor and middle class can inconvenience themselves some more so you can feel better about "doing something"

It would be environmentally beneficial if a few million people killed themselves, want to make a federal law mandating that? Want to volunteer?
This is why you can't be taken seriously. You want to equate a small tax on an environmentally unfriendly product that has inexpensive and more friendly substitutes to mandatory suicide.

i only object because it micromanages our taxes instead of solving a problem through Infrastructure.
I think there is a place for both. There's no reason a usage tax to encourage behavioral change couldn't be coupled with improvements in waste management. In fact i'd say that one without the other is an incomplete solution

The problem is to get everyone on the same page with simple instructions easy enough to remember.

Then everyone should use reusable bags. How easy is that? So people stop whining about 10c or 25c.

Who the fuck are you to decide how a person shops?

The gall of you progressive twats is just stunning.

House Democrats have introduced legislation that would impose a 10-cent tax on plastic bags nationwide.

Rep. Alan S. Lowenthal, California Democrat, introduced the Trash Reduction Act of 2015 on Thursday in an effort to “dramatically reduce plastic trash nationwide,” according to a press release. He said he hopes the plastic bag models in California and the District of Columbia can be expanded nationwide.

right. because the poor and middle class can't be bothered to use a paper or canvas bag. that's for rich folk

You have to remember to take the re-usable bags, you have to clean them, you have to schedule your day better. You have to know exactly how much you will be shopping for.

That's all well and good for the limousine liberals who have their servants do the shopping, but I guess the poor and middle class can inconvenience themselves some more so you can feel better about "doing something"
Seriously? You consider it a big deal to throw a grocery bag in the laundry? To keep them in your car?

You're making stupid excuses. It is not a terrible, life changing inconvenience to not use plastic bags. It does require a little personal responsibility. Once people accepted it as the norm it would be a non issue

We often make selfish decisions that have little negative impact individually but cause great harm when the masses act that way.

It's called the tragedy of the commons

plastic bags are not going to be the cause of the demise of the commons. There is no reason the feds need to get involved in this, except to please some busybody environmentalist rich twats who haven't probably shopped on their own in decades.
Right. Plastic bags have no negative impact on the environment. There is not a giant floating mass of plastic in the pacific.

Do you agree that it would be environmentally beneficial to use fewer plastic bags?

Exaggeration is often used when a person doesn't have reason on their side

Seriously? You consider it a big deal to throw a grocery bag in the laundry? To keep them in your car?

You're making stupid excuses. It is not a terrible, life changing inconvenience to not use plastic bags. It does require a little personal responsibility. Once people accepted it as the norm it would be a non issue

Fine, then convince me to do it, don't use government to force me to do it or pay a fine.

And all those plastic bags get dual use in my house, I use them as small garbage bags, and they are used for people to take leftovers home for sunday dinner. I know a lot of people who use them to pick up dog crap as well.

You are just mad because I called you out for the progressive busybody you are.

Fine, then convince me to do it, don't use government to force me to do it or pay a fine.

And all those plastic bags get dual use in my house, I use them as small garbage bags, and they are used for people to take leftovers home for sunday dinner. I know a lot of people who use them to pick up dog crap as well.
Again, as individuals we often make selfish choices that individually have little negative impact but in the aggregate are very destructive.

Right. I believe government has a place in encouraging responsible behavior.

We take care to keep them clean like make sure the egg carton is not leaking, and although I rarely eat meat and my wife almost never does, those packages can be placed in plastic bags. Either way, the meat should be separately placed in bags.

Also, what do you know, we actually use brainpower to remember and figure out what we will buy and how many bags to bring. :)

I can't stand those plastic bags. I have a separate recycling container that is nothing but plastic bags. It seems to fill up faster than any of the others. There is also the negative environmental and health impact these common plastic products/packaging have. That's why I have switched over to the canvas bags. They are bigger and stronger. That being said, a national law isn't required. Stores could have their own deposit system. Several, like ABikerSailor noted are giving incentives to bring your own. Gives BYOB a new meaning.

Again, as individuals we often make selfish choices that individually have little negative impact but in the aggregate are very destructive.

So the correct response is oppressive government persuasion so you can feel all warm and fuzzy.

Got it.

Right. I believe government has a place in encouraging responsible behavior.

Of course you do, you are an authoritarian twat.

We take care to keep them clean like make sure the egg carton is not leaking, and although I rarely eat meat and my wife almost never does, those packages can be placed in plastic bags. Either way, the meat should be separately placed in bags.

Also, what do you know, we actually use brainpower to remember and figure out what we will buy and how many bags to bring. :)

Then convince people to do it by dialogue and incentive, not punitive federal tax measures.

Or if you feel so strong about it, how about you go out and buy bags for people for them to use? and offer to clean them for them?

So the correct response is oppressive government persuasion so you can feel all warm and fuzzy.

Got it.
If you feel a slight tax on a convenience item to be oppression i dont think we can really discuss the issue

Forum List

Back