Democrats try to ram through Puerto Rican Statehood bill before Jan 3rd

The bill that passed the house does not allow for the people of PR to choose the status quo.
Thus, it does not allows the people the right to self-determination.
Of course it does, as making them a state would align with their majority opinion as recorded in referenda and alow them all the trappings of self determination that come with being a state. And seeing that it is the only path to statehood, it is the only option. So, wrong on mutplie levels.

Nope, that's not it. You want more senate seats. Just like DC. You want to cut it up into a jigsaw puzzle so you can extract another 2 seats there .

Like was stated, you wouldn't do this is you had even a hint that this could give more power to the Republicans.
Has anyone noticed that the only people talking about this in terms of Senate seats are Republicans

Has anyone noticed that the only people talking about this in terms of Senate seats are Republicans

And we shouldn't?

You know, the problem with our country is when your party puts lipstick on a pig, you people actually think you're looking at a woman. You completely rule out the obvious and preach whatever lie they present to you. You refuse to look at the man behind the curtain as obvious as he may be. My rep and party are never wrong. They would never do anything so devious just for power. Don't you see? There is obviously a much more superficial reason for their actions.

Until we call out or own when they do wrong, our country is doomed, because you're going to stick up for your party no matter how evil and un-American their actions may be.

And we shouldn't?

You know, the problem with our country is when your party puts lipstick on a pig, you people actually think you're looking at a woman. You completely rule out the obvious and preach whatever lie they present to you. You refuse to look at the man behind the curtain as obvious as he may be. My rep and party are never wrong. They would never do anything so devious just for power. Don't you see? There is obviously a much more superficial reason for their actions.

Until we call out or own when they do wrong, our country is doomed, because you're going to stick up for your party no matter how evil and un-American their actions may be.
What the fuck are you babbling about?

You hate Dems

You hate equality?

"My party is never wrong"?

You partisan sycophant

What the fuck are you babbling about?

You hate Dems

You hate equality?

"My party is never wrong"?

You partisan sycophant

How do I hate equality? Again, I hate very few people in life. Disagree? All the time, but that's a far cry from hatred.

You see the difference between you and me is I can look in the mirror and say I've been honest with myself. That's something you can't do.

Well is either statehood or independence at this point. The people of Puerto Rico aren't going to tolerate having to pay federal taxes but get no representation anymore. And they're not going to tolerate Congress having the authority to overrule any of their laws at any point.

Especially when they have a much higher population than quite a few States.

The very fact that republicans openly admit that the sole reason That they don't want Puerto Rico to be a state is because of the fact that they tend to vote Democrat more than Republican says a lot.

The bad part about this bill is that the current status quo is not an option, the proposal would commit Congress to accept Puerto Rico into the United States as the 51st state if voters on the island approved it. Voters also could choose outright independence or independence with free association, whose terms would be defined following negotiations over foreign affairs, U.S. citizenship and use of the U.S. dollar. Not that it matters, cuz this bill ain't going to get 60 votes in the Senate anyway.

Will Puerto Rico be the next US state? Independence bill goes to US House vote today - as Dem representatives 'look forward to making history'

A bill to vote on Puerto Rico's status within the United States is headed to the house for a vote after being approved by a House committee on Wednesday.

The Puerto Rico Status Act will determine whether the island becomes a state, and independent nation, or a sovereignty associated with the US

Puerto Ricans could move a step closer to a referendum on whether the island should become a U.S. state when the House of Representatives votes Thursday on a bill outlining the process.

A House committee approved the Puerto Rico Status Act on Wednesday, paving the way for the full House vote. The bill was cosponsored by Representative Nydia Velazquez, a Democrat from New York.
The bill was also lead by Rep. Steny Hoyer, a Democrat from Maryland.

If the bill passes the House, it will need 60 votes in the closely divided Senate and Democratic President Joe Biden's signature to become law.

Puerto Rican independence bill goes to US House

No problem, we will just divide a red state up into four states.....Six new GOP Senators. ;)

I see no problem with making Puerto Rico the 51st state.

That was 24 years ago. There has have been four since than. Do try and keep current!
Link...and results of each 4.

Prove PR wants to be a state now.

The way Biden and Democrats ate screwing states, would YOU want to be a state right now?

Not me, if I were them.

I have no problem with Puerto Rico having a referendum on statehood, independence or maintaining the status quo. Note: maintaining the status quo is not an option in the latest PR statehood bill that the House passed. BUT - that referendum should not result in a binding commitment on the US Gov't to make them a state if they decide to become one, the final decision for that should rest with the Congress and the President. If they want to be independent then so be it, they should become their own country and their own gov't. If they decide to keep things the way they are then that's fine too. But if they want to become the 51st state, then Congress needs to decide that, not them.

Forum List

Back