Democrats want the power to ban books, repeal first amendment

Are Democrats aware of the implications?

• No, it was an accident.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
In a dependant and enslaved country.
Cruz: ?Fahrenheit 451? Democrats are playing with fire | Southeast Texas Record

Never before has Congress tampered with the First Amendment.

When a similar proposal was considered in 1997, the famed liberal lion of the Senate, Ted Kennedy, reminded his colleagues that never before had the Bill of Rights been amended and “now is no time to start.”

I agree with Ted Kennedy. Where are the Democrats who agree with him today? Not a single one has spoken out against this. Groupthink has taken over their party.

The American Civil Liberties Union, however, has sounded the alarm. The ACLU says the Democrats’ amendment would “severely limit the First Amendment and lead directly to government censorship of political speech.”

Cruz then cited the ACLU’s stance on the issue, which is that the proposal would, “severely limit the First Amendment and lead directly to government censorship of political speech,” before drawing attention to the Citizens United case during which Deputy Solicitor General Malcolm Stewart said the federal government had the power to ban books and movies.

The proposal seeks to prohibit corporations from contributing unlimited amounts of money to election campaigns, but Cruz sees the move as a backdoor attempt by Democrats to eviscerate the First Amendment because it could ban publishers, movie producers and political groups from being able to engage in political free speech.

Labeling the amendment, “the single most radical and most dangerous proposal that has been introduced in the 113th Congress,” Cruz warned that if it was adopted it would repeal the First Amendment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think money plays too large of a role in American politics. The Supreme Court, for whatever reason, disagrees. And so does yous twos. But that's cool.

How do your beliefs justify gutting the 1st Amendment.

It's possible that someone hacked Mr. H's account, it was very unlike his normal posting. If not, he fucked up, it happens sometimes, so I;m not going to blast him.

I think money plays too large of a role in American politics. The Supreme Court, for whatever reason, disagrees. And so does yous twos. But that's cool.

How do your beliefs justify gutting the 1st Amendment.

It's possible that someone hacked Mr. H's account, it was very unlike his normal posting. If not, he fucked up, it happens sometimes, so I;m not going to blast him.

As I understand it, before 2010 there were limits on contributions. What's so bad about that? This wouldn't be "gutting" the 1st Amendment. Come on.

Nah nobody hacked my account, and yes I'm sober. :D

It costs big money to get a message out to more people, but limiting contributions doesn't kill the deal all together.

The proposal seeks to prohibit corporations from contributing unlimited amounts of money to election campaigns...

Big whoop.

No connection with burning books, or repeal of the 1st Amendment. Cruz is grubbing for media attention, as usual. Why would he believe the Court will uphold any law contrary to Citizen's United, or that is would get pass the corporate owned House?

The proposal seeks to prohibit corporations from contributing unlimited amounts of money to election campaigns...

Big whoop.

No connection with burning books, or repeal of the 1st Amendment. Cruz is grubbing for media attention, as usual. Why would he believe the Court will uphold any law contrary to Citizen's United, or that is would get pass the corporate owned House?

The ACLU made the statement, Cruz only repeated it...

Big whoop.

The ACLU made the statement, Cruz only repeated it...

That's a rather extreme reaction from the ACLU. I just don't see a whole lot of detail here.

Forum List

Back