denier recants ideology and accepts science

Al-Gore-Crazy.jpg
Holy crap, eat another pizza Al!

Confessions of a Former Climate Change Denialist Canadian Science Writers Association
(snip)
I, a scientist with a PhD in Microbiology and Immunology, was a climate change denialist. Wait, let me add, I was an effective climate change denialist: I would throw on a cloak of anecdotal evidence and biased one-sided skepticism and declare myself a skeptic. Good scientists are skeptics, right?I sallied forth and denied every piece of evidence that was presented to me, for a relatively long time.
It feels strange when I look back — I inadvertently fell into almost every pitfall of pseudo-science, shutting my eyes and repeating a series of mantras, such as “I don’t believe it!”“Why does it even matter?” and “I don’t care!”.
Thankfully, those days are over, but the memories linger. Although the evolution of my thought, from ignorance, to denial, to skepticism and finally to acceptance was a continuum, in retrospect I can distinguish certain phases that are worth listing and discussing. I hope my experience encourages others to loosen up some strongly held beliefs and listen to the din of evidence.. Here are the prominent phases of my climate change denialism:

come to the light deniers!!!

One cannot accept "science." One can determine a scientific theory is valid, that's about it.

For starters, the man's article is published in the Canadian Science Writers Association, not the Canadian Writers Association. Here is the "About Us" page from CSWA:

We are a national alliance of professional science communicators in all media.

Our mission is to cultivate excellence in science writing and science journalism.

Our goal is to increase public awareness of science in Canadian culture.

Specific Goals and Objectives:

• to promote and reward balanced and accurate science reporting in Canada
  • to create opportunities for members to meet and exchange ideas
  • to initiate educational and training opportunities for science communicators in all regions of Canada
  • to encourage communication between scientists and journalists
  • to encourage greater awareness among editors, producers and other gatekeepers of the need for science coverage
  • to nourish the growth of a membership that reflects Canadian society with respect to gender, race and region

Radical lefties for sure.
For me it's simple, show me one of his denier articles dated back at the time he states he was...a denier. Anyone can say anything. Doesn't make any of fact without evidence. Show me the evidence man!!!!!

This isn't my thread and I probably wouldn't have posted it, but the man makes some good observations. You know a lot of what he describes are processes you and other deniers have gone through, are going through or will go through. The reasons he describes for denying AGW are your reasons. They reasons he describes for which they failed him are the reasons for which they they will eventually fail you.

You seem to think every argument can be countered by a call for evidence. You need to work on this stuff. Really.

This isn't my thread and I probably wouldn't have posted it, but the man makes some good observations. You know a lot of what he describes are processes you and other deniers have gone through, are going through or will go through. The reasons he describes for denying AGW are your reasons. They reasons he describes for which they failed him are the reasons for which they they will eventually fail you.

You seem to think every argument can be countered by a call for evidence. You need to work on this stuff. Really.
^ that

Confessions of a Former Climate Change Denialist Canadian Science Writers Association
(snip)
I, a scientist with a PhD in Microbiology and Immunology, was a climate change denialist. Wait, let me add, I was an effective climate change denialist: I would throw on a cloak of anecdotal evidence and biased one-sided skepticism and declare myself a skeptic. Good scientists are skeptics, right?I sallied forth and denied every piece of evidence that was presented to me, for a relatively long time.
It feels strange when I look back — I inadvertently fell into almost every pitfall of pseudo-science, shutting my eyes and repeating a series of mantras, such as “I don’t believe it!”“Why does it even matter?” and “I don’t care!”.
Thankfully, those days are over, but the memories linger. Although the evolution of my thought, from ignorance, to denial, to skepticism and finally to acceptance was a continuum, in retrospect I can distinguish certain phases that are worth listing and discussing. I hope my experience encourages others to loosen up some strongly held beliefs and listen to the din of evidence.. Here are the prominent phases of my climate change denialism:

(snip)

This sure looks like fraud to me. What is the name of this so called scientist who was calling himself a denialis? Who calls himself a denialist?

Forum List

Back