Denmark bans kosher slaughter

I think this bans halal as well. Isn't killing the animal the cruel thing not the method?

So basically Jewish people who want to follow Kosher or Muslims who want to remain halal have to either go vegetarian or buy imported meat.

I would guess a lawsuit would be in order, under the US system, dont know how Denmark works.

It has to do with the method of killing the animal. Danish law demands that all animals slaughtered for market be stunned first. Both halal and kosher mandate that the animal be fully conscious.

It has to do with the method of killing the animal. Danish law demands that all animals slaughtered for market be stunned first. Both halal and kosher mandate that the animal be fully conscious.

It is a pretty cruel way to kill an animal.

You hang them upside down and cut their throats. Then let them bleed out.

Is there a pleasant way for an animal to be deprived of its life?

It is gruesome and should only be reserved for human refuse. For an animal it is unthinkable. One would have thought that religion would have thought of some sublimation of the act, like a ceremonial drawing of a rubber knife over the throat of an unconscious animal.

It seems something is amiss with any religion that demands that an innocent animal must suffer needlessly. Possibly its a case of tradition from times gone by that was meant to ensure that butchering was only performed on healthy livestock. And, being conscious was a good way to show that. But, they did not have guns or electrocution way back then. (Although they did have large wooden blocks to knock out the critter.)

I think the leaders of many religions of all types seem to lose their common sense as they grown in power and forget that it too is one of God's gifts to us.

NO. There is no 'hanging upside down. And as far as 'letting them bleed out' - if the throat is cut so the main arteries are severed, the animal will lose consciousness before it realizes it's in pain.
Compared to the 'stun' method where the animals are penned and can see, hear and smell what's going on, it is NOT 'cruel'.

I think this bans halal as well. Isn't killing the animal the cruel thing not the method?

So basically Jewish people who want to follow Kosher or Muslims who want to remain halal have to either go vegetarian or buy imported meat.

I would guess a lawsuit would be in order, under the US system, dont know how Denmark works.

It would fail as soon as the videos of halal slaughter were shown to the court. Were the animal is seen to thrash about in pain and suffering for up to 2 minutes as the blood is pumped out of its body. That is what they are trying to stop the animals pain and suffering, both religions have been told they can continue as long as they stun the animal first but they are loathe to do so.

Hang upside down?
I've seen halal many times but the animal was never hung upside down until after the death.

For the stupid, Kosher and Halal are pretty much exactly the same so, if you want to ban halal, you must also ban kosher.

American methods are so much better.

Still, you can always get chicken from KFC, where you're assured there's no cruelty.

Last edited by a moderator:

It would fail as soon as the videos of halal slaughter were shown to the court. Were the animal is seen to thrash about in pain and suffering for up to 2 minutes as the blood is pumped out of its body. That is what they are trying to stop the animals pain and suffering, both religions have been told they can continue as long as they stun the animal first but they are loathe to do so.

Because it is not halal or kosher according to some interpretations of their religious texts to have the animal out cold when you slaughter it.

Doesn't Denmark have anything better to do than piss off Muslims and Jews?

Because it is not halal or kosher according to some interpretations of their religious texts to have the animal out cold when you slaughter it.

Doesn't Denmark have anything better to do than piss off Muslims and Jews?

If you read the stories leading up to this it seems that Denmark has a very active animal rights lobby, and it those who have managed to pressure this pieve of legislation through rather than just trying to piss off religious groups. It's probably why killing a healthy giraffe made such a world wide splash in the news, most zoos would do the same and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Forum List

Back