Detroit's Mayor concedes that city needs EM

EM are a terrible idea. They do more harm than good.

How can it possibly be worse than the leadership detroit has had for decades? The worst part is some republican will improve things, and then when it's improved enough, liberals will drive it into the ground again, blaming everyone but themselves.

It's worse because it doesn't solve the problem. Having an outsider come in, and fix things does nothing to help the elected officials learn to do their jobs.

An EM comes in, pushes elected officials to the side, digs in and gets things done then sweeps outta town and drops everything back into the hands of the people. People who , at this point, have been out of the loop for months, were flailing before he came in and become totally lost when he leaves.

It's worse because it doesn't solve the problem. Having an outsider come in, and fix things does nothing to help the elected officials learn to do their jobs.

An EM comes in, pushes elected officials to the side, digs in and gets things done then sweeps outta town and drops everything back into the hands of the people. People who , at this point, have been out of the loop for months, were flailing before he came in and become totally lost when he leaves.
As though their being in the loop has done the city any good?

Seriously?

What cities in trouble need is a teacher, someone to go in and show them what works best for them. How would you learn if every time I posed a question I answered it before you could figure it out?.

It's why cities that have EM on average end up needing an EM over and over again.

What cities in trouble need is a teacher, someone to go in and show them what works best for them. How would you learn if every time I posed a question I answered it before you could figure it out?.

It's why cities that have EM on average end up needing an EM over and over again.

It's like that saying, give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for life. The people there need to figure things out for themselves, but until they can do so..

It's like that saying, give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for life. The people there need to figure things out for themselves, but until they can do so..

Exactly.

These cities need to be taught to fish.

<<<Having an outsider come in, and fix things does nothing to help the elected officials learn to do their jobs.>>>

Once an EFM is appointed, extra powers are given that are not available under normal operation. It's not a matter of helping elected officials "learn." They don't have the proper authority.

For example, how could elected officials possibly deal with 48 separate union contracts which obligate the city to pay considerably more than it has. None of these unions wants to step up and to be first to make a concession? So it doesn't happen.

But with the powers of and EFM contracts can be rewritten. The same would be true with a bankruptcy, however, it is believed an EFM can resolve the problem more quickly, fairly, and efficiently than a bankruptcy court.

The thread title is false. The mayor never said the city "needs" an emergency manager. He said he thought it was not fruitful to fight it.

The idea behind an EM is that cities are being poorly run, and are in need of an experienced individual to step in and take charge, and yes, you're right, that individual is granted powers others don't have( something I don't agree with btw). I agree that the cities are poorly run. However having an EM ride in like a white night, take over, fix things, and sweep out again is only a bandaid on the bigger problem, the issue of elected officials who aren't well enough trained to do their jobs.

It would be far better to keep elected officials in place and have an EM come in, run audits, make recommendations, and train the men on the ground.

<<<Having an outsider come in, and fix things does nothing to help the elected officials learn to do their jobs.>>>

Once an EFM is appointed, extra powers are given that are not available under normal operation. It's not a matter of helping elected officials "learn." They don't have the proper authority.

For example, how could elected officials possibly deal with 48 separate union contracts which obligate the city to pay considerably more than it has. None of these unions wants to step up and to be first to make a concession? So it doesn't happen.

But with the powers of and EFM contracts can be rewritten. The same would be true with a bankruptcy, however, it is believed an EFM can resolve the problem more quickly, fairly, and efficiently than a bankruptcy court.

And by "more quickly, fairly, and efficiently", you mean more in line with the desires of unionbusters.

And by "more quickly, fairly, and efficiently", you mean more in line with the desires of unionbusters.

Is it better to be insolvent and unsustainable with unions or functional without unions?

Is it better to be insolvent and unsustainable with unions or functional without unions?

I always hear you guys talk about important contracts are. Guess that doesn't apply when the other party isn't a major corporation.

The situation in Detroit is that without the Emergency Financial Manager, the city would soon be in bankruptcy. So take your choice, and EFM or a federal bankruptcy judge.

No offense to Mayor Bing, his powers don't give him the authority to solve Detroit's financial mess. Maybe as a compromise, he should be the one appointed EFM.

I always hear you guys talk about important contracts are. Guess that doesn't apply when the other party isn't a major corporation.

Obama nationalized GM so that it couldn't go through bk to get the contracts amended.

Hmmm....Kinda like the professional poor welfare cases on a bigger scale, huh?

<<<I always hear you guys talk about important contracts are.>>>

Here's the problem with Detroit and their unions. There are 48 of them. Their contracts expire at different times.

How does the city get an agreement that meets their ability? An across the board cut? What if some or most of the unions won't agree to an across the board cut, then does the city ask other unions for a bigger cut....etc.

If you get my drift, the situation is unmanageable without extra powers.

As far as your comment about major corporations, there aren't many left that have a union, so what's the point?

Forum List

Back