Did Lefty, Kill Pancho?

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
I've had this song stuck in my head all day loooong! It isn't new to me. I've known it word for word since childhood. But for some reason it popped into my head at work today and I can't shake it!
The story it tells is quite leading. Yet ambiguous. It kinda glosses over Panchos death. The character the song starts out telling you about... Seems important to the story. But then it shifts to telling us about Lefty. And doing so in terms that make it seems like Lefty isnt doing so well, after that day in the desert.
It isn't often a song comes along and poses such an interesting "whodunit".
But this one has me kinda stumped.
At this point I'm ready to chalk it up to; Pancho pulled off a job too big and dangerous, the only way out for Lefty was to kill Pancho and split with the spoils, which he wasted away in seclusion, in regret for his betrayal?
Any thoughts?

Here's the Lyric version of that helps...

Last edited:
Did Lefty, Kill Pancho?

no lefty and pancho are the same guy

the product of a split personality disorder

pancho was his better self

and lefty is what he became through depression drugs and alcohol

the best version is by the original artist

probably the best country song writer ever

Townes Van Zandt

I think I see I now in the last verse where it states “they only let him go so long”...
So lefty sold him out...
Damn.

Great song. Pancho was hung by the Federales, Lefty betrayed him...

Pancho and Lefty - Wikipedia
I looked at the link and couldn’t find what you alluded to. The song states clearly that the Federales could have had him any day, and let him slip away...

The song states clearly that the Federales could have had him any day, and let him slip away.

yes that was part of Townes mental illness the feeling of being persecuted

I looked at the link and couldn’t find what you alluded to. The song states clearly that the Federales could have had him any day, and let him slip away...

Van Zandt is the only one who knows what the song meant, and he's not in a speaking mood right now.

It will probably be debated for decades to come...

Willie Nelson - Pancho And Lefty Lyrics | SongMeanings

Van Zandt is the only one who knows what the song meant, and he's not in a speaking mood right now.

One of the great mysteries in music history.

One of the great mysteries in music history.

it is a great song

Pancho died of dehydration in the desert.

Perhaps Lefty knew where his stash was, and with Pancho not needing it anymore....

It so (the song) reminds me of Jimmy Buffet for somereason.

Well the first thing I have to say is Vastator, if a fellow was going to have an earworm couldn't pick out a better song imo…

Lyrics and the interpretation of them are very subjective... My thoughts are of a bond of two bandito's who had a business relationship... Pancho was a Professional and Lefty was, well Lefty... Lefty done Pancho in down in Mexico for a few peso's, well at least enough to get back to Cleveland... I question why Cleveland, but that is for another OP... Lefty felt remorse after the deed (couldn't sing the blues anymore)… In my version he went back to Cleveland and played piano in a whore house...

Great Tune in my book...

Even though I love the song, sadly I can not answer what is being asked about it. Can anyone answer this question for me since were are on the subject of song lyrics? I recently paid more attention to the song named "Ode To Billy Joe" from Bobby Gentry (This song was big way before I was even thought of.) and I have wondered ever since if the boy being sung about was pushed off of that bridge. Right me if I am wrong about any of this, but Bobbie sings the song from the perspective of a person who was there at the bridge and it sounds like she admits to being the reason why he went into the water and led everyone else to think that he jumped off of that bridge all on his own. Am I right?

God bless you and Bobby always!!!

Holly

Another Van Zandt explanation...

Even though I love the song, sadly I can not answer what is being asked about it. Can anyone answer this question for me since were are on the subject of song lyrics? I recently paid more attention to the song named "Ode To Billy Joe" from Bobby Gentry (This song was big way before I was even thought of.) and I have wondered ever since if the boy being sung about was pushed off of that bridge. Right me if I am wrong about any of this, but Bobbie sings the song from the perspective of a person who was there at the bridge and it sounds like she admits to being the reason why he went into the water and led everyone else to think that he jumped off of that bridge all on his own. Am I right?

Holly

My take on it was that he got her pregnant, they threw the baby in the river, and then he committed suicide by jumping in the river.

Holly
I just gave the song a listen. I guess his reason for jumping could center around whatever he and the girl threw over the bridge. It being a baby is interesting, but the perspective of the song seems to rule this out for me. The singer's is talking to her own mother. Surely her mother would have noticed her own daughters pregnancy, and the birth of a grand daughter. Yet none of that gets mentioned.... Hmmm....

Holly
I just gave the song a listen. I guess his reason for jumping could center around whatever he and the girl threw over the bridge. It being a baby is interesting, but the perspective of the song seems to rule this out for me. The singer's is talking to her own mother. Surely her mother would have noticed her own daughters pregnancy, and the birth of a grand daughter. Yet none of that gets mentioned.... Hmmm....
To deepen the mystery of "The Ode To Billy Jo"... It's also rumored that Bobby Gentry didn't actually write the song; but rather stole it. And that for decades there has been rumoured to be a seven minute version of the song, presumably the original which has yet to see the light of day... Pretty intriguing....

Last edited:
I just now googled the "Ode To Billy Joe" lyrics and yeah it says that the guy jumped, but when you really think about it, he could've been pushed too by the girl who is telling the story. She says that her mama told her the news, but if no one witnessed what happened and he was just eventually found dead, everyone may have just automatically thought that it was a suicide. Why would she want him dead? Maybe she wanted the baby, but it got discarded any way or maybe she didn't like him getting her pregnant at all.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back