Did the creation of the universe violate the laws of conservation?

Can you give an example?

Say, a time when the half-lifes we observe now did not hold, and why?

Or, like, when mass was different?

How would the same laws appear to act differently? Something would have to change, if not the forces themselves.

Trying to understand this .
The Ancient Greeks had no clue about nuclear decay, they could not describe a "law of physics" that governed nuclear decay. It does not mean nuclear decay was not taking place.

From the time particles could be formed and assemble into atoms, the "laws of physics" have been unchanged- meaning the way matter behaves has not changed.

There was a time when all the matter in the universe was in the form of a quark-gloun plasma. The laws of physics (as we describe them) do not govern the behavior of matter in this form- quarks and gluons cannot bind into protons and neutrons, there are no nuclei for electrons to bond to and form atoms, etc. QGP is a very weird form of matter that can only be described in terms of lattice gauge theory. Quantum physics cannot describe matter in this form. There is no nuclear decay because there is no weak nuclear force and no nuclei to decay, etc. The "laws of physics" as we know them do not exist yet.

That does not mean interactions are not happening- this was a time of continuous high-energy collisions of quarks and anti-quarks being produced and colliding and forming new quarks, photons, electrons and anti-electrons, mesons, etc- a very energetic time when matter was behaving like a super-fluid.

When the universe had cooled to the point where the 4 forces could emerge and govern the behavior of matter, the "laws of physics" that we know emerged simultaneously and have held sway ever since.

Last edited:
The Ancient Greeks had no clue about nuclear decay, they could not describe a "law of physics" that governed nuclear decay. It does not mean nuclear decay was not taking place.

From the time particles could be formed and assemble into atoms, the "laws of physics" have been unchanged- meaning the way matter behaves has not changed.

There was a time when all the matter in the universe was in the form of a quark-gloun plasma. The laws of physics (as we describe them) do not govern the behavior of matter in this form- quarks and gluons cannot bind into protons and neutrons, there are no nuclei for electrons to bond to and form atoms, etc. QGP is a very weird form of matter that can only be described in terms of lattice gauge theory. Quantum physics cannot describe matter in this form. There is no nuclear decay because there is no weak nuclear force and no nuclei to decay, etc. The "laws of physics" as we know them do not exist yet.

That does not mean interactions are not happening- this was a time of continuous high-energy collisions of quarks and anti-quarks being produced and colliding and forming new quarks, photons, electrons and anti-electrons, mesons, etc- a very energetic time when matter was behaving like a super-fluid.

When the universe had cooled to the point where the 4 forces could emerge and govern the behavior of matter, the "laws of physics" emerged simultaneously and have held sway ever since.
Okay,, but expansion had to happen, at some rate or another. The inflationary period fits the observations. Unless we find a way to undermine our measurements of time, there isn't a better explanation. Is there? There is disparity in the Hubble Constant, but not THAT much disparity.

Okay,, but expansion had to happen, at some rate or another. The inflationary period fits the observations. Unless we find a way to undermine our measurements of time, there isn't a better explanation. Is there? There is disparity in the Hubble Constant, but not THAT much disparity.
Cosmic inflation is an undescribed phase of the big bang that was invented to make the theory fit the observations. It is the "Bang" part of the Big Bang.

The Hubble constant and normal spatial expansion is something else completely. The disparity is actually considered a crisis in cosmology, because there is no overlap between the estimates if you start with the CMB and work forward, compared to starting at the present day and working backwards. The disparity is about 10%, way beyond any measurement error. Something has to give...

That is a different problem though. What I don't like is when we insert things into the theories that cannot be reconciled by experimentation. Dark matter and Dark energy, and Cosmic Inflation to me are gimmicks- tuning knobs. We have no idea what they are and what causes them, or what rules they follow. We just put them in because the observations don't conform to the theory.

Last edited:
Cosmic inflation is an undescribed phase of the big bang that was invented to make the theory fit the observations.
Correct. We call that, "a hypothesis".

How to rule it out? I keep asking. It seems to pass every test. The timeline works. The physics works.

The Hubble constant and normal spatial expansion is something else completely. The disparity is actually considered a crisis in cosmology, because there is no overlap between the estimates if you start with the CMB and work forward, compared to starting at the present day and working backwards. The disparity is about 10%, way beyond any measurement error. Something has to give...

That is a different problem though. What I don't like is when we insert things into the theories that cannot be reconciled by experimentation. Dark matter and Dark energy, and Cosmic Inflation to me are gimmicks- we have no idea what they are and what causes them, or what rules they follow. We just put them in because the observations don't conform to the theory.
So, if I understand, you say we can't test it directly? Okay, fair enough, I don't disagree, same for cosmologists. But it isn't a random guess pasted onto theory. It is derived from the theory. It explains the smoothness of our universe that we observe.

The scientific world awaits a better explanation.

I'm not familiar with that. Do you have a reference? I vaguely remember reading a disparity maybe a year ago, but it wasn't clear.

An unsolved problem that I think is worse is that there is a consensus that the universe is flat, but if it has no boundary it can't be finite, yet the CMB, etc. definitely say the universe is flat. If we assume it's locally flat like your neighborhood is and the universe is spherical, then the sphere has to be much larger than what the CMB and the expansion would indicate. There is no topology that fits.

I'm not familiar with that. Do you have a reference? I vaguely remember reading a disparity maybe a year ago, but it wasn't clear.
Here's one piece from Scientific American.

An unsolved problem that I think is worse is that there is a consensus that the universe is flat, but if it has no boundary it can't be finite, yet the CMB, etc. definitely say the universe is flat. If we assume it's locally flat like your neighborhood is and the universe is spherical, then the sphere has to be much larger than what the CMB and the expansion would indicate. There is no topology that fits.
Yep. And most likely unknowable since the expansion is happening faster than information can travel. All we can do is see into the past.

Thank you. I will read it tomorrow.
This is a more recent piece- nothing new in it, but shows that the problem is as yet unresolved.

More ding "science:" One a minute as usual.

1725682694701.png
1725682694701.png

`

Forum List

Back