Diversity declining in baseball

Good point.

All I'm saying is this:

If you can hit the ball a long way and it goes over the fence, you have a home run. Umpires can't take that away.
If you beat the ball to first base, 99.5% of the time, you're safe. Umpires can't take that away.
If you drop the ball in the outfield, it's an error and umpires don't call the batter out.

But when you're a pitcher, borderline calls that you're not getting force you to lob the ball over the plate. If the ball is too high, you have to toss it lower...if the ball is judged to be too low, you have to throw it higher. This is a judgment call made by an umpire hundreds of times a game.

Maddux and Glavine got 3-6 inches outside the plate consistently.
Hundreds of white pitchers didn't get the calls Glavine and Maddux got either, I know.

Mariano Rivera gets 3-6 inches outside the plate consistently. How do you explain that?

M_Rivera-757508.jpg

Many times it's the movement on the pitch and the perception it gives umpires. Great pitchers make the balls look like strikes and the strikes look like balls.

Disagree. Spotting where a ball crosses a plate is pretty easy to do. I disagree that Glavine, Maddux, Rivera routinely got 3-6 inches. But if they got 1-3 inches it is because they were consistent and umps are less inclined to reward wild pitchers.

Also, MLB give umps a remarkable amount of latitude when it comes to being assholes. When Doug Eddings effectively robbed the Angels of a World Series appearance in 05; they didn't even take him out of the rotation.

In many cases, you'll get umps that call b.s. so that they can move a game along and get out to the club before it gets too late.

That you could even take a small step of nuancing is a big, big step for you, TGG.

Congratulations!

I disagree with the title of the OP. There is more diversity in baseball than there ever was. There are less blacks that are part of the mix. It is pretty easy to understand why...i.e. football, basketball and college programs and scholarships.

I really enjoyed watching the World Baseball Classic. It was fascinating to see how other culture add their own flair to the game. The Japanese with constant music, Latino countries with their exuberance, emotionalism and aggressive hitting.

qlEHpua.png

Baseball is alive and very well.

And one thing that is hard to dispute, the epicenter of baseball resides in the Caribbean.

celebrate_480_oqd1et3e_89j8o2u2.jpg
cano_480_kwdirl3z_tc99sapd.jpg

Well, when you look at the amount of top black athletes in football and basketball already; then it becomes pretty amazing that blacks are at 7.7 percent; almost the percent of what they represent in the country to begin with.

What is really happening is that African American players are marginalised by the increasing number of international players and the percentage of international players in MLB on 2012 opening day rosters was 28.4%, a 11% increase from 1998. As a result, the percentage of African American players was reduced from 19% in the late-1990s to just 8% this year but MLB is diverse enough as 40% of MLB players are of minority background, which has been consistent for the past 20 years.

Last edited:
What is really happening is that African American players are marginalised by the increasing number of international players and the percentage of international players in MLB on 2012 opening day rosters was 28.4%, a 11% increase from 1998. As a result, the percentage of African American players was reduced from 19% in the late-1990s to just 8% this year but MLB is diverse enough as 40% of MLB players are of minority background, which has been consistent for the past 20 years.

That and the culture swing. If blacks are going to play more football and basketball; then they're not going to just magically keep the same numbers in baseball. Racism in baseball is not a problem. In fact, it's less of a problem in baseball than probably a lot of other businesses; b/c employers truly look at production. If a black guy can play and he has a good attitude then he's golden. Same with any other race.

Forum List

Back