Do ACT and SAT scores really matter? New study says they shouldn’t

If it is your intention to engage in discussion that is one thing.

Such was NOT my intention. My intention was to inform you that you were wrong in suggesting that the Writing section of the SAT is merely subjective. Not only does the writing section contain elements like sentence correction and identifying sentence errors that are answered by multiple-choice like other parts of the exam, but the essay is graded (as I've already informed you) based on a rubric and not mere subjectivity.

Informing you that your statement was inaccurate is not trolling, it's doing you a favor. An adult with some control over his ego would be able to accept it as such.

Such was NOT my intention. My intention was to inform you that you were wrong in suggesting that the Writing section of the SAT is merely subjective. Not only does the writing section contain elements like sentence correction and identifying sentence errors that are answered by multiple-choice like other parts of the exam, but the essay is graded (as I've already informed you) based on a rubric and not mere subjectivity.

Informing you that your statement was inaccurate is not trolling, it's doing you a favor. An adult with some control over his ego would be able to accept it as such.

Project, much?

Your essay will be evaluated on the evidence it gives of your ability to do the following:

express judgments by taking a position on the issue in the writing prompt
maintain a focus on the topic throughout the essay
develop a position by using logical reasoning and by supporting your ideas
organize ideas in a logical way
use language clearly and effectively according to the rules of standard written English

Your essay will be scored holistically—that is, on the basis of the overall impression created by all the elements of the writing. Two trained readers will score your essay, each giving it a rating from 1 (low) to 6 (high).

The sum of those ratings is your Writing subscore, which is reported on a scale of 2 to 12.

If the readers' ratings disagree by more than one point, a third reader will evaluate your essay to resolve the discrepancy.

Writing | Writing Test Scores | ACT Student

And yet there is still controversy.

Project, much?

No. Thank you for asking.

You have to understand too that teachers commonly help students grade wise, they don't necessarily push them to their full limits, and simply give them beyond easy work if they are failing. Teachers will commonly just give retakes on tests that the students previously bombed, thus raising their grade.

SAT's really challenge this, it puts kids on the direct spotlight, if they do not put forth the effort and study, then they wont pass, simple as that. There is no going back, you need to actually work hard and there is no one there with you holding your hand.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Some teachers and classes allow students to retake a test. I don't think that this is allowed for those states that have standardized end of course testing.

In my district, it is required for all teachers to allow students to take retakes atleast once, now, I am sure all districts are not this way, and that isn't necessarily my point, my point is that a majority of places issue retakes, and actually encourage it. I have had teachers even issue class retakes, last week in Science, over 70% of the kids failed the test, as a result, the teacher decided that it would be smart to give everyone time to correct their papers in class, this resulted in a majority of the students exchanging answers and finding out what was right, thus, they weren't actually putting effort in, they were simply trading answers. At the end of class, these "corrections" were accepted as a grade. He also gave all the students a chance to retake the test at their own leisure, I am not a 100% sure if the tests were the same, but I am sure they were identical.

Now you see my overall view in regard to this topic, I believe it is common for teachers to go easy on students, causing them to truly not learn, especially in lower grade classes like IEP. The SAT's do a good job at finding out the true knowledge of a student, and how well they work under pressure, key factors in my opinion.

Well, there is a "re-test" and then there is a "re-test."

If they are given the SAME TEST a second time, then the teacher is a lazy incompetent, and the results are bogus. If they get a new test on the same overall block of material, then there may be some justification for adjusting their grades.

Regardless, if too many people in the class fail a test, then there are a lot of potential culprits and it is worthwhile to examine as many of them as possible. It is not unheard of for a teacher to have forgotten to give a block of instruction.

You have to understand too that teachers commonly help students grade wise, they don't necessarily push them to their full limits, and simply give them beyond easy work if they are failing. Teachers will commonly just give retakes on tests that the students previously bombed, thus raising their grade.

SAT's really challenge this, it puts kids on the direct spotlight, if they do not put forth the effort and study, then they wont pass, simple as that. There is no going back, you need to actually work hard and there is no one there with you holding your hand.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Some teachers and classes allow students to retake a test. I don't think that this is allowed for those states that have standardized end of course testing.

In my district, it is required for all teachers to allow students to take retakes atleast once, now, I am sure all districts are not this way, and that isn't necessarily my point, my point is that a majority of places issue retakes, and actually encourage it. I have had teachers even issue class retakes, last week in Science, over 70% of the kids failed the test, as a result, the teacher decided that it would be smart to give everyone time to correct their papers in class, this resulted in a majority of the students exchanging answers and finding out what was right, thus, they weren't actually putting effort in, they were simply trading answers. At the end of class, these "corrections" were accepted as a grade. He also gave all the students a chance to retake the test at their own leisure, I am not a 100% sure if the tests were the same, but I am sure they were identical.

Now you see my overall view in regard to this topic, I believe it is common for teachers to go easy on students, causing them to truly not learn, especially in lower grade classes like IEP. The SAT's do a good job at finding out the true knowledge of a student, and how well they work under pressure, key factors in my opinion.

AGAIN, the SAT is not pass/fail, and students can take the test three or more times if they register and pay.

Forum List

Back