do we need a big R&D investment for our militaries anytime soon?

I bet our satellite's are fine and we can destroy satellites anytime we want
(1) you don't go placing bets on the integrity of your satellite systems, not GPS, not military comms satellites, not civilian comms satellites. it's just not done.
(2) what point is it to be able to shoot down satellites if this is just going to feed into the propaganda machine of your enemies *WHILE YOUR OWN SATELLITES ARE ALREADY DISABLED*?!

(1) you don't go placing bets on the integrity of your satellite systems, not GPS, not military comms satellites, not civilian comms satellites. it's just not done.
(2) what point is it to be able to shoot down satellites if this is just going to feed into the propaganda machine of your enemies *WHILE YOUR OWN SATELLITES ARE ALREADY DISABLED*?!
We've got a lot of satellites, bro. And we probably don't know about 90% of them.

it's not cheap yet.
and that's gotta change, for the reasons i indicated earlier.
its cheaper than fossils currenly being used,,

why do you think they wont build anymore nuclear plants??
it not because of the environment, its because its so cheap and would put tens of thousands out of work,, every coal worker railroad, trucker involved in supplying the fossil plants would loose their jobs overnight,

a nuclear plant can run on a cpl hundred workers if not less,,

its cheaper than fossils currenly being used,,

why do you think they wont build anymore nuclear plants??
it not because of the environment, its because its so cheap and would put tens of thousands out of work,, every coal worker railroad, trucker involved in supplying the fossil plants would loose their jobs overnight,

a nuclear plant can run on a cpl hundred workers if not less,,
"dumb" workers can be re-trained for other types of "dumb" work.
"experts" can not.

and with the stakes as high as these environmental catastrophes looming, i say we start relying more on those experts in fusion tech for our energy needs.
i'd even let the Chinese and Russians steal the civilian versions of that tech, just to give them an incentive to step off coal as well.
to retain the moral highground, which imo is very important in the larger picture.

"dumb" workers can be re-trained for other types of "dumb" work.
"experts" can not.

and with the stakes as high as these environmental catastrophes looming, i say we start relying more on those experts in fusion tech for our energy needs.
i'd even let the Chinese and Russians steal the civilian versions of that tech, just to give them an incentive to step off coal as well.
to retain the moral highground, which imo is very important in the larger picture.
it isnt about the workers getting different work,, its about the industry behind them loosing their gravy train and why they lobby against nuclear,,

as I said I think it already exists and is being suppressed,,

it isnt about the workers getting different work,, its about the industry behind them loosing their gravy train and why they lobby against nuclear,,

that does make me wonder about my own support for the fossil fuel industry.
up until now, i've been on a "hybrid energy economy" model of thinking.
maybe i'll switch it to all-electric after this.

as I said I think it already exists and is being suppressed,,

that could well be.

that does make me wonder about my own support for the fossil fuel industry.
up until now, i've been on a "hybrid energy economy" model of thinking.
maybe i'll switch it to all-electric after this.

that could well be.
I've always been and all in guy,, theres a place for all three

I've always been and all in guy,, theres a place for all three
well, if fusion tech would be a lot more efficient in it's output, a lot more economically viable, then we simply don't need fossil fuels anymore.
so i'd literally tax big corporations and wealthy entrepeneurs to make that happen.
even rich kids need a planet that's actually pleasant to live on.

at the same time though, i recognize that no campaign promises can be made yet to turn the development of economically-viable fusion power tech into a national project.
the future is certainly too uncertain in R&D for that.

well, if fusion tech would be a lot more efficient in it's output, a lot more economically viable, then we simply don't need fossil fuels anymore.
so i'd literally tax big corporations and wealthy entrepeneurs to make that happen.
even rich kids need a planet that's actually pleasant to live on.
like I said,, I think it already exists and is being suppressed,,

so for now, you're right, progressive hunter .... there's a place for all 3.
but that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep fusion tech R&D stocked with all the money they need to efficiently go through their motions of research! :D
if it already exists theres no need,,

when the fossils really start to run out then we will see both nuclear and fusion getting put into use,, but thats hundreds of yrs down the road,,

if it already exists theres no need,,

when the fossils really start to run out then we will see both nuclear and fusion getting put into use,, but thats hundreds of yrs down the road,,
according to the science behind it (yeah, i know science got a bad rep since covid, but hear me out on *different* scientists' analyses),
it's simply not technically or economically viable enough to be put to commercial use.
so it needs more R&D time and/or money.

what will it take for you people to back that 'money' aspect of the needs of the fusion R&D communities? :)

Forum List

Back