Do You Exist?

Philosopher and mathematician René Descartes is regarded as the father of modern philosophy for defining a starting point for existence, “I think; therefore I am.”

http://www.biography.com/people/rené-descartes-37613

René Descartes walks into a bar. He orders une bière.
Bartender asks, "would you like a glass with that?"
Descartes muses on the offer, then answers "I think not". And disappears.

If I don't exist, and I am nothing more than an illusionary construct, then my place is to act out my 'life' as I would act it out. Till the show is over and they turn out the lights.

I exist ..for a while....

then this body dies...

and I go to another dimension

and I don't care anymore about this kind of questions

with all respect

what does the OP wants to achieve asking

we exist or not??

i mean

do you know what I am trying to convey

to you???]

why?

what is this

Didn't scientist come to the conclusion the universe is a giant hologram? Or was it a tenuous dance made up out of nothingness? Hard to say, when you are caught up in this mess. Finish your taxes? How are the kids?

The probability that you can be aware of your location and type a nonrandom post without existing is extremely small.

Unless I'm an imposter with intent of malice. :muahaha:

I'm not, of course, but human intellect certainly skews the probabilities.

Whether or not you are an imposter is irrelevant ... You do exist to the extent that you exist.
For instance ... You are a staff member ... And can take certain actions accordingly.

You ... As AVG-JOE ... Certainly exist to that extent.

If we were dreaming, everything in our dream would convince us the dream was reality. Isn't until we awake that we realize we were dreaming. Problem is, that when we're awake we're convinced we're awake and not dreaming, but it's actually the same thing as when dreaming. Everything we might point to or choose to do to establish reality might just be our minds convincing ourselves the dream is reality. Operating a machine to effect physical reality to prove this is real could just be our imagination convincing ourselves the dream is the reality.

Nothing an individual can do or say proves their reality is real. Everything's done by way of interpretations our brain makes. What we see isn't reality. Humans only see a small fraction of the light spectrum. And it's not what enters our eyes that's what's seen, but what our brain then tells us we're seeing is. Sensation of touch isn't what we're actually touching since matter doesn't literally touch other matter. Atoms being empty space no matter how far in you 'zoom' is just a dot in the middle surrounded by empty space down to the infinite. But Atoms aren't physically touching other atoms, so the sensation of touch is just something made possible by our brains.

Anything we might use to establish reality and existence is simply our brains reacting to some stimulus.

Nothing is real. - John Lennon

Forum List

Back