Do you fear God?

Satan gets to torment those who don't follow God now.

In the hereafter, he'll be punished, along with all those who denied God in life.

"Do I fear God? No. Do I fear Satan? Yup."

But if god created everything, didn't he also create satan? So the god of love created satan and hell and actually sends people there to burn for all eternity? Gee, Nice guy. With friends like that...

Nice, Tofu Brains.........you have managed to butcher and fuck up yet another thing.........

The SaTan isn't so much an evil person as he is a prosecutor. If you'd actually bother to read the Bible, you'd understand that.

Whenever a person sins, the SaTan is there to go tell God what happened and that is what sets you up to be judged.

Like I said.......prosecutor, or district attorney if you will.
Most "district attorneys" don't rebel against their superiors. Additionally, Satan (שָׂטָן) means adversary. You know as little about Judaism and Christianity as you do about Islam.

שָׂטָן adversary; yes that would be consistent with the subtle God made beast in the garden. A perfect God made deceiver who may only be overcome through knowledge of God's perfect truth.

He is also a prosecutor/accuser.

Both descriptions are accurate.

Fear God and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man.

Man, you guys are funny. So satan is like a lawyer? lol, so I have to exorcize my lawyer to get rid of him? lol, sounds about right, lol.

"Satan gets to torment those who don't follow God now.
In the hereafter, he'll be punished, along with all those who denied God in life."

Dude, we're all going to the same place when we die, stop deluding yourself that you're better than the rest of us and that some magical being is going to save an asswipe like you and not others.

The bible is full of things which have already been proven, and eventually everything in it will be proven.

All but one of the disciples died hideous deaths, and nobody during their lifetimes..the people who lived at the same time as Christ...contradicted what was said about Christ. Including the miracles. In fact, the following continued to grow and grow, as it continues to today.

Think about that.

Allie, but the bible was written 350 years AFTER the events, minimum. So that's a lot of word of mouth. Try getting 15 of your friends together and play the game 'telephone" (where I come from it's called "Arab telephone", lol). And don't forget to drink a jug of wine beforehand like they used to back in the day. So maybe when it says: Moses parted the red sea, it was actually: Moses partied with sexy Sheila.
So it can't be a factual, witnessed account. More like folklore.

Your ignorance shines through. The disciples were speaking to the people immediately after Christ died. The most ancient of the gospels was written 70 some years after the death of Christ. While people who were alive during Christ's life were still around.

Not ONE contradictory statement from anyone about the events the disciples were preaching about. Not when they were preaching, not ever. Not until (as the bible predicts) man became so full of himself and enough time had passed that idiots like yourself could deny it ever happened and assume that nobody would notice your ignorance because gosh darn it, just so much time had passed.

There was a member of the Hell's Angels who got shot then had his funeral in a Montreal church. So the reporter asked the priest: why would you let a drug dealing murderer have a christian funeral? The priest reply that the guy MIGHT have repented just before he died. True story.

I hear people talking about fearing God and I don't think I understand why. I don't fear God, I trust God to do what is right for me. Sometimes I need lessons that aren't very pleasant, but I don't fear them or God for giving them to me. So I'm wondering if there's some way to take the phrase that I'm not understanding.

Atheists and other non-believers I would really appreciate it if you could not derail the thread, I really want to hear what other believers think without the usual flaming that accompanies "religious" threads.

Oh... no opinion needed, huh?
Well, I won't derail anything. Promise.

I WOULD fear God if he exists as he has been described to me by "believers" (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Catholic, mostly).

If 'it' exists how I think a supreme being would likely be, then no - I certainly would not fear.

I hear people talking about fearing God and I don't think I understand why. I don't fear God, I trust God to do what is right for me. Sometimes I need lessons that aren't very pleasant, but I don't fear them or God for giving them to me. So I'm wondering if there's some way to take the phrase that I'm not understanding.

Atheists and other non-believers I would really appreciate it if you could not derail the thread, I really want to hear what other believers think without the usual flaming that accompanies "religious" threads.

I WOULD fear God if he exists as he has been described to me by "believers" (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Catholic, mostly).

If 'it' exists how I think a supreme being would likely be, then no - I certainly would not fear.

Right, I don't care what atheists or other non-believers have to say on the subject. if I was going to buy a Toyota Camry I'd want to talk to people that owned them, not people that drive Chevy Suburbans.

You couldn't derail what was derailed since the 1st page. Thanks to all the atheists and non-believers for being respectful. Oh wait, you weren't, nm.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I don't fear God either Amanda. I do at times fear my own actions though. I don't take the Bible word for word, so some may say that I am not a true Christian, but I've always believed that the underlying lessons such as loving thy neighbor as myself were much more important than every little so called doctrine.

Honestly, if we should fear God, then I'm not certain I want any part of God. As a parent, I love my kids with all my heart. They do bad things at times, but that does not make me stop loving them. No matter how bad of an act a parent's child might commit, I don't believe it is possible for most to stop loving their own child.

As God is our Father, even if we commit the most terrible acts, does He become vengeful and hateful toward us? I don't know the answer to that; no one does. But if He does, then I'm not sure any of it makes sense. If it were my belief that God is just another power hungry dictator that wants us to worship him to stroke His own ego, then I'll have to pass on Him.

However, it is my belief that we are here for a purpose. That purpose is to make mistakes and learn from them, so that we may become better people, beings, entities, whatever you want to call us beyond our human bodies, because I believe this is just the beginning, or possibly even a continuation of who we are and who we will eventually become.

Assuming that our life does continue after our bodies die, do you believe that our learning process is over, that we have learned all there is to know? Or do you believe that we may well have much more to learn in our next life, so that we can become even better?

If life does go on, are we just here to be subjects of God's Kingdom, or will we grow in our thinking in order to become closer to God? I can't believe a truly loving and understanding God just wants a bunch of subjects to praise how wonderful He is. I believe that He wants us to attain a level of understanding as close to His own as possible.

I guess that is what makes religion, our beliefs, and faith so interesting. We don't know who is right or wrong, or if our mixed beliefs are partially on track. All we can do is have faith that we are on the right path and trying to better ourselves to make us better human beings.

Right, I don't care what atheists or other non-believers have to say on the subject. if I was going to buy a Toyota Camry I'd want to talk to people that owned them, not people that drive Chevy Suburbans.

You couldn't derail what was derailed since the 1st page. Thanks to all the atheists and non-believers for being respectful. Oh wait, you weren't, nm.

How is it you think you ought to be respected because you label yourself a Christian? Wouldn't you rather be respected for how to relate to others and demonstrate positive qualities?

We'd all like to have respect, but it's a two way street. You have to give it to get it. When you say you don't care what non-christians have to say about God you are disrespecting them.

Christians seem to think they are entitled to respect. No one is entitled to respect. Respect is earned and the best kind is across the board, regardless of what religious or non-religous labels you offer yourself.

Entitlement is the issue here. Equality kind regard.

Last edited:
As I have said before. Almost every person I've ever come across who scoffs at religious scholars and claims to have knowledge of the bible is either a disgruntled schoolboy who bases all their "knowledge" of the bible on verses gleaned as children and/or during adolesence (we all know how open young minds are at that age, and how wise) or read it once in a rush in order to gain some ammunition to use while tormenting Christians.

The bible isn't something you read once and then claim "Gosh, I know everything it has to offer now, I don't need to revisit it...I'm an EXPERT!" It's something you continue to study, if you want to be considered a person of biblical knowledge.

No.

Only problem is that 10 people can read the same verse and come up with 15 different interpretations.

How is it you think you ought to be respected because you label yourself a Christian? Wouldn't you rather be respected for how to relate to others and demonstrate positive qualities?

We'd all like to have respect, but it's a two way street. You have to give it to get it. When you say you don't care what non-christians have to say about God you are disrespecting them.

Christians seem to think they are entitled to respect. No one is entitled to respect. Respect is earned and the best kind is across the board, regardless of what religious or non-religous labels you offer yourself.

Her thread was about getting some perspective from others who actually believe. It wasn't about non-believers adding their two cents about how her belief is just a bunch of nonsense anyway. It certainly had nothing to do with entitlement either. It was a request for those responding to be of the faith and give their perspective, not for non-believers to ridicule Christian beliefs or make jokes about Gunny being god.

So i guess, in your view, anytime someone starts a thread, we should all just do our best to hijack or derail it. That is the kind of respect you seem to be supporting.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007

Hi Sky. I don't care what you think on this subject either, you're not the demographic I was addressing. But thanks for stopping by.

BTW, I didn't ask anyone to respect me because I'm Christian. I asked them to be respectful regarding the purpose of the thread. I don't think I mentioned anything about Christians specifically, only atheists and other non-believers. I would be happy to hear the opinions of Jews or Muslims or any other "believer" types.

Forum List

Back