Do You Know the Value of Stray Cats ?

I have often posted in favor of putting down excess dogs and cats rather than warehousing them in so-called "no kill shelters". Its a matter of money. It is always a matter of money. You can spay/neuter many more with the same amount of money that would feed only a few. So while I would prefer they all be born to a world that wants them, I am not in favor of letting unwanted animals starve.

Having said that, its simply a fact that not all "stray" dogs and cats KNOW they are strays.

They don't know how inhumane, inhuman and how utterly UN-christian human beings are.

Yes, I will always advocate for those animals and children who cannot do for themselves.

You seem to think I enjoy shooting cats when in actuality it's just something that has to be done. Same with the feral hogs,I would prefer they just go away because they are a pain in the ass to dispose of.

Please stop deciding that I am saying things I am not saying.

I agree with control but I know that shooting doesn't really address the problem. I have explained that s/n feral populations tend to even out but you like shooting them so you defend shooting them. I also know that most crack shots can't hit the broad side of a barn with both door standing open so spare me the crap about clean kills.

And, for Pete's sake, do you really believe that feral cats do the same damage as feral hogs?

Please.

Yep. Cats kill a shitload of wildlife. After thinning the herd so to speak,rabbits,roadrunners,horntoads,painted buntings,squirrels,turkey and a host of other wildlife returned to my property. Hogs mainly destroy crops and create erosion problems.
Wild hogs do costly damage,cats kill native species. Not sure I can say which is worse. You can make up your own mind.

Do Not Feed stray cats

give them water only

why?

If you want them to hunt down vermin, hunger motivates them.

FALSE! Cats will hunt whether they are hungry or well-fed. It's just what they do. Born to be wild.

Once I put out a food plate for Teddy, one of the strays that was a regular to my front patio. It was filled more than I usually fill it. I looked out my window and saw Teddy eating there. Amazingly, he ate the whole thing (enough for 2 meals). 5 minutes later, I looked out my back window, beyond my back yard to a large empty field with tall grass where the cats routinely hunt, and there was Teddy - happily bopping along with a snake in his mouth, swinging back & forth like a pendulum, in time with his stride.

You seem to think I enjoy shooting cats when in actuality it's just something that has to be done. Same with the feral hogs,I would prefer they just go away because they are a pain in the ass to dispose of.

I agree with control but I know that shooting doesn't really address the problem. I have explained that s/n feral populations tend to even out but you like shooting them so you defend shooting them. I also know that most crack shots can't hit the broad side of a barn with both door standing open so spare me the crap about clean kills.

And, for Pete's sake, do you really believe that feral cats do the same damage as feral hogs?

Please.

Yep. Cats kill a shitload of wildlife. After thinning the herd so to speak,rabbits,roadrunners,horntoads,painted buntings,squirrels,turkey and a host of other wildlife returned to my property. Hogs mainly destroy crops and create erosion problems.
Wild hogs do costly damage,cats kill native species. Not sure I can say which is worse. You can make up your own mind.

Where I live the only things cats kill are nuisance vermin that we don't want around or in our homes (snakes, rats, mice, palmetto bugs, lizards). They don't kill toads, or even touch them, because toads have poison glands in their skin, and cats can smell it. To us, th cats are round the clock pest control workers working for free (except we pay them by feeding them) :)

I paid 3.99 for some questionable orange chicken the other day so I would say that's what a stray cat is worth.

It is when all the stray cats suddenly disappear that we find out what they are worth. When you start getting rats, mice, large bugs, lizards and snakes inside your home, then you realize the only reason that wasn't happening before was because of the cats.

I don't like shooting strays either, but it's a job that needs doing. Mainly I do it for disease control, when you get to many cats around pretty soon they get sick and it wipes out most of them at once. I wish people would quit dropping them off on the road.

Cats create disease control. without them, you get the vermin that spread the disease. What do you think caused the bubonic plague of the 14th century that killed millions of people in Europe ? Rats. And it was cats that brought it to an end.

Dudley would expect you to corral all the cats and have them spayed and neutered.

I had to thin out the cats at my place,they were killing all the native wildlife many of which are endangered.
I treat em the same as feral hogs.

I have often posted in favor of putting down excess dogs and cats rather than warehousing them in so-called "no kill shelters". Its a matter of money. It is always a matter of money. You can spay/neuter many more with the same amount of money that would feed only a few. So while I would prefer they all be born to a world that wants them, I am not in favor of letting unwanted animals starve.

Having said that, its simply a fact that not all "stray" dogs and cats KNOW they are strays.

They don't know how inhumane, inhuman and how utterly UN-christian human beings are.

Yes, I will always advocate for those animals and children who cannot do for themselves.

If you get caught shooting cats, you'll do jail time, and I'll be the first one to haul your ass in to the pokey for it.

When I was a wee lad of about 9 years in age we lived out in the country. Mom and dad both worked full time jobs but we also had a garden and raised sheep, goats and fowl for food on the table (when I got older, we had hogs to). Dad didn't like cats because he thought they would mess with the fowl. One day, a pregnant cat showed up. She wasn't feral because she was people friendly. Dad wanted to get rid of her, but he couldn't resist the pleas of four children wanting to keep her. We named her Mama Cats.

She gave birth on my sisters bed at 2:00am, it was the first time I ever witnessed live birth. She had five kittens. The runt of the litter died within 24 hours. It was the first time I experienced death with enough comprehension to understand it. 4 kids, 4 kittens, we all had our own favorite and our own pet. Over the next few months, Mama Cats taught her kittens to hunt, and guess what they hunted. It was the mice and rats that were getting into the feed for the goats and sheep that were hunted, never the fowl. Even a well fed cat will hunt mice and present them as a gift to the family. Dad didn't have such a negative outlook on cats after that.

When the kittens were about 9 months old, Mama Cats disappeared. Was she a gypsy that trained her progeny then left? Did a coyote bring about her demise? Was she run over by a car on the country road? Regardless of that, she delivered four kittens to four kids that loved them, and she delivered a rodent control solution. The kittens became cats, dead mice and rats appeared regularly on the doorstep although fewer offerings as the population of rodents dwindled.

It was about year after Mama Cats disappeared that she reappeared again. Checking up on her kids perhaps. But she showed up at the homestead. We were all surprised to see her. Where had she been? Why did she leave? She was healthy so obviously somebody had been taking care of her. A cat shows up, gives birth, sticks around for about 9 months, disappears, than shows up again a year later acting like she was never gone. Quite the mystery.

A few months later, my parents decide to host a cookout for our distant neighborhood. A whole goat cooked in a pit, kind of a Hawaiian luoa style. Kids running around being annoying, adults enjoying some adult beverages as they solve the worlds problems and eat good food. We're all eating and enjoying company when Mama Cats wanders into the party.
This is where it gets real fun.
The Davis's lived 2 miles from us and Mrs Davis looked at the cat and says, "Mama Cass, where have you been? I've missed you."
The Stead's lived a mile in the other direction, Sarah Stead (13 years old) picked up Mama Cats and said "Cassie, Cassie, your alive, I love you, we'll take you home.

Three families, one cat. Cassie, Mama Cats, Mama Cass, how crazy is that that we all gave her similar names? She also delivered kittens to each family. The Davis's were the ones that had her spayed after she delivered a second litter of kittens to them. The adults decided that kitty Cass would decide where she lived. Mama Cats remained the eternal gypsy, traveling from family to family, staying a few months, then moving on to the next family. She did that for a few years then nobody saw her again.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for cats.

I think cats are yummy.

they're better slow cooked.

We'll visit you at the County jail, where you'll share a cell with that 6'9" cat lover with a mean disposition. :badgrin:

You know................I've always liked cats.

Not only are they pretty intelligent, but they also seem to be remarkably self sufficient and can take care of themselves. If I go on a trip for a day or two, I can fill the food dish, make sure the water dish is full, empty the cat box, and can be assured that I will come home to a house than hasn't been torn apart by a lonely animal.

A few years back (around 2002/2003), a stray Siamese cat came up to my apartment and started hanging around, so, because she looked skinny, I started to set out a plate of milk for her in the evenings. Eventually, I asked my landlord if I could keep her, and he said yes.

A couple of months later, she had a litter of 6 or so kittens and stuck around long enough to make sure they were cared for and being raised well, and then she left to go live somewhere else. Around 4 or 5 months later, she showed back up looking for food, but didn't want to come into the house anymore, because it had pretty much been taken over by the 3 cats that I kept of hers.

One by one, they decided to go and find other homes (would see some of them running around the neighborhood once in a while looking well fed and happy), and the one that remained was a big black one that I called Cement (dang thing was almost 8 inches high at the shoulder, a BIG cat), and he was my faithful friend until he had to be put down because he'd broken his hips. I still miss him.

Fortunately, before his accident, one night when my room mate came home and I walked out to greet her, Cement came up to both of us and meowed loudly. We then looked at him and started asking what he wanted, and he went across the street and picked up a really cute tuxedo kitten and led him to us. He then meowed at the both of us, while looking at the tuxedo kitten (whom we now call Underfoot).

I told my room mate that if Cement let Underfoot into the house, we were going to keep him, and she agreed. Cement led Underfoot up to the door, sat down until we opened it and Underfoot came in, and then followed Underfoot inside.

Underfoot lived as the only cat for a couple of years after Cement was put down, but towards the end of last summer, Underfoot brought home a white kitten and did the same thing with him (we call him Ichabod), that Cement had done, which was to bring another cat into the family.

Yep................cats are smart. I think they're even smarter than dogs.

If I catch you jail time would be the least of your worries.
Exactly. He thinks he can just go around shooting cats and think nothing of it. I guess he doesn't realize there a lots of us cats lovers around, with military training, and we might not be in a good mood that day.

Not only are they pretty intelligent, but they also seem to be remarkably self sufficient and can take care of themselves. If I go on a trip for a day or two, I can fill the food dish, make sure the water dish is full, empty the cat box, and can be assured that I will come home to a house than hasn't been torn apart by a lonely animal.

A few years back (around 2002/2003), a stray Siamese cat came up to my apartment and started hanging around, so, because she looked skinny, I started to set out a plate of milk for her in the evenings. Eventually, I asked my landlord if I could keep her, and he said yes.

A couple of months later, she had a litter of 6 or so kittens and stuck around long enough to make sure they were cared for and being raised well, and then she left to go live somewhere else. Around 4 or 5 months later, she showed back up looking for food, but didn't want to come into the house anymore, because it had pretty much been taken over by the 3 cats that I kept of hers.

One by one, they decided to go and find other homes (would see some of them running around the neighborhood once in a while looking well fed and happy), and the one that remained was a big black one that I called Cement (dang thing was almost 8 inches high at the shoulder, a BIG cat), and he was my faithful friend until he had to be put down because he'd broken his hips. I still miss him.

Fortunately, before his accident, one night when my room mate came home and I walked out to greet her, Cement came up to both of us and meowed loudly. We then looked at him and started asking what he wanted, and he went across the street and picked up a really cute tuxedo kitten and led him to us. He then meowed at the both of us, while looking at the tuxedo kitten (whom we now call Underfoot).

I told my room mate that if Cement let Underfoot into the house, we were going to keep him, and she agreed. Cement led Underfoot up to the door, sat down until we opened it and Underfoot came in, and then followed Underfoot inside.

Underfoot lived as the only cat for a couple of years after Cement was put down, but towards the end of last summer, Underfoot brought home a white kitten and did the same thing with him (we call him Ichabod), that Cement had done, which was to bring another cat into the family.

I just brought a new stray home who I named Pepper. He's all black, and apparently was abandoned by someone, because he lets you pet him, and is very lovable (feral cats run away from you). One day I came home and found him eating dry cat food on my kitchen floor, which came out of a hole in the cat food bag that he ripped open. Smart cat.

I just brought a new stray home who I named Pepper. He's all black, and apparently was abandoned by someone, because he lets you pet him, and is very lovable (feral cats run away from you). One day I came home and found him eating dry cat food on my kitchen floor, which came out of a hole in the cat food bag that he ripped open. Smart cat.

Yeah................if there is food around, and they think they are hungry, they will figure out someway to get it.

You've also got to be careful about setting up routines with cats, because they catch on quickly. A few months back, we started to get into the routine of whenever we went to Wal-Mart, we'd pick up some chicken finders or chicken bits at the hot bar to bring home for them. Well.................after a month or two, if we walked into the house carrying Wal-Mart bags (which rattle), the cats would figure that there was something in there for them as well.

Now? If we go to Wal-Mart and forget to bring something home for them, we both get the hairy eyeball from them.

We get stray cats showing up a lot. Mostly it's assholes just dropping them off on the road. We normally have 12-15 barn cats so I shoot the strays to keep the pop. at a managable number.
I feed my cats just enough to keep them here ,they have to hunt for the rest of their food. They kill rats,mice,bugs and a lot of birds. They don't get all of the pests but they do help.

Dudley would expect you to corral all the cats and have them spayed and neutered.

I had to thin out the cats at my place,they were killing all the native wildlife many of which are endangered.
I treat em the same as feral hogs.

The administrators of this forum should turn this guy's Identification in to his local police department, and use this forum as evidence for prosecution. He's already submitted a open, public confession.

If I catch you jail time would be the least of your worries.
Exactly. He thinks he can just go around shooting cats and think nothing of it. I guess he doesn't realize there a lots of us cats lovers around, with military training, and we might not be in a good mood that day.

Yeah...............I'm a military veteran as well, and if I see anyone being cruel to an animal (no matter what kind it is), I'm inclined to have a discussion with them to see if I can't help fix their point of view.

Please.

Where I live the only things cats kill are nuisance vermin that we don't want around or in our homes (snakes, rats, mice, palmetto bugs, lizards). They don't kill toads, or even touch them, because toads have poison glands in their skin, and cats can smell it. To us, th cats are round the clock pest control workers working for free (except we pay them by feeding them) :)

So you train feral cats not to attack native wildlife where you live?
Sounds like utopia.......:lol:

put up a sign that says you will shoot cats on sight.

people will stop

???? Stop what ?

PS - shooting cats is a crime.

PS. No it's not. Thats like saying it's illegal to kill feral hogs.
As they say...Location,Location,Location.
I had around twenty five scrawny cats on my property the previous owners left.
They decimated the local wildlife. Killed all but three,the wildlife came back and the three remaining cats are well fed.
All perfectly legal.

I don't like shooting strays either, but it's a job that needs doing. Mainly I do it for disease control, when you get to many cats around pretty soon they get sick and it wipes out most of them at once. I wish people would quit dropping them off on the road.

Cats create disease control. without them, you get the vermin that spread the disease. What do you think caused the bubonic plague of the 14th century that killed millions of people in Europe ? Rats. And it was cats that brought it to an end.

Nobody is saying cats are bad. We're saying to many cats are bad,just like any invasive species they have to be thinned when they become a threat to the ecosystem.

I dont understand liberals. They'll deny someone the right to property to save a salamander,but dont care if a bunch of stray cats wipe out native wildlife.

Forum List

Back