My Cat Samantha Died Last Night

8 - 10 is on the low side for a house cat, but things happen. My first one (as an adult) went into renal failure at 8, and I was devastated. Still, I make myself feel better by reminding myself that cats don’t know that they’re being robbed of years. They only know that they are cared for and well-loved while they are here, and miserable when they get severely ill.

I had another who died at 11, and although that’s not horrible, it still struck me as a short life (but a well-loved one). My last one made it to 17, and I was grateful.
I would like to have a cat, preferably a kitten. Too bad they can't stay kittens.. :)

I would like to have a cat, preferably a kitten. Too bad they can't stay kittens.. :)
But if you adopt a kitten, you would commit to it for the rest of its life, won’t you? The animal shelters are full of cats who had been adopted out as kittens, only to be returned when they’re no longer “so cute.” And what was their crime? Just…..growing up.

It’s so sad.

View attachment 992589
Born ? - Died 8-9-24
My cat Sam (Samantha) died last night. She was a stray that used to live in an old condenser unit behind our apartments. We brought her home in 2014 sometime around August. I kept her in a cage till she got used to my home. I brought her into my bedroom after a week and for years she rarely left my bedroom. She counted on me to keep her safe. I have other cats and a couple of my other cats would pick on her. So she felt safe as long as she could see me. She knew I would protect her.

I'm not sure how old she was. Probably 12-15 years old,

She usually slept in my arm every night. A few months ago she stopped sleeping in my bedroom. She moved out to a bed I put next to a window in the kitchen and usually she was laying there enjoying the Sun. She had been sick and wasn't feeling well for the last few months. Night before last she spent all night in my arm staying warm and not moving a lot.

She stopped eating normally a few weeks ago, and the last couple of days she wouldn't eat anything.

I put her in her bed last night knowing she would die soon. I just wanted her to be someplace she was familiar with instead of taking her to the vet to put her to sleep. I just wanted her to die where she was loved. Not in a strange place.

We will miss you Sam. Thanks for all of the warm nights.
It's good you are capable of so much love for a fellow living creature.

View attachment 992589
Born ? - Died 8-9-24
My cat Sam (Samantha) died last night. She was a stray that used to live in an old condenser unit behind our apartments. We brought her home in 2014 sometime around August. I kept her in a cage till she got used to my home. I brought her into my bedroom after a week and for years she rarely left my bedroom. She counted on me to keep her safe. I have other cats and a couple of my other cats would pick on her. So she felt safe as long as she could see me. She knew I would protect her.

I'm not sure how old she was. Probably 12-15 years old,

She usually slept in my arm every night. A few months ago she stopped sleeping in my bedroom. She moved out to a bed I put next to a window in the kitchen and usually she was laying there enjoying the Sun. She had been sick and wasn't feeling well for the last few months. Night before last she spent all night in my arm staying warm and not moving a lot.

She stopped eating normally a few weeks ago, and the last couple of days she wouldn't eat anything.

I put her in her bed last night knowing she would die soon. I just wanted her to be someplace she was familiar with instead of taking her to the vet to put her to sleep. I just wanted her to die where she was loved. Not in a strange place.

We will miss you Sam. Thanks for all of the warm nights.
Condolences

Losing a pet is gut wrenching

Any thought to another one? There were so many deserving kitties at the animal shelter, in need of homes. It would be a win-win for both of you.
Whenever I lose a pet, I always feel like a traitor even thinking about replacing them.

Eventually, after a long period of time, I start looking. And I always get a rescue. I started a topic about that a while ago.

I'm still grieving the loss of my dog from a few months ago. I miss him terribly. He was so sweet and we loved each other so much.

One consolation is that I still have my mother's little Yorkie dog I inherited when she passed in 2016. This little dog is indestructible. My oldest daughter has taken the little dog for herself. But I have ended up taking care of her the most as happens to every parent.

My youngest daughter just adopted a pit bull mix who was found abandoned. This dog is the funniest dog I have ever encountered. He makes me laugh a dozen times a day. I think he may also be the smartest dog ever. He's just over a year old so it's too soon to tell. But I see signs of real brilliance.

I had a dog like that once. He was so smart that if he started talking it would not have phased me one bit.

The funny thing is, every time I feel myself falling in love with this new dog, I feel that traitorous feeling come over me. I have to say a silent prayer to my old dog, apologizing.

Whenever I lose a pet, I always feel like a traitor even thinking about replacing them.

Eventually, after a long period of time, I start looking. And I always get a rescue. I started a topic about that a while ago.

I'm still grieving the loss of my dog from a few months ago. I miss him terribly. He was so sweet and we loved each other so much.

One consolation is that I still have my mother's little Yorkie dog I inherited when she passed in 2016. This little dog is indestructible. My oldest daughter has taken the little dog for herself. But I have ended up taking care of her the most as happens to every parent.

My youngest daughter just adopted a pit bull mix who was found abandoned. This dog is the funniest dog I have ever encountered. He makes me laugh a dozen times a day. I think he may also be the smartest dog ever. He's just over a year old so it's too soon to tell. But I see signs of real brilliance.

I had a dog like that once. He was so smart that if he started talking it would not have phased me one bit.

The funny thing is, every time I feel myself falling in love with this new dog, I feel that traitorous feeling come over me. I have to say a silent prayer to my old dog, apologizing.
I have gotten a new cat within weeks of losing the previous one, and the way I got beyond the “traitor” feeling is to think this way: the joy that I had with my now-gone cat was so great…..to wonderful…..that I simply cannot live without a fur-ball in my life.

IOW, it’s not a betrayal to your lost love. It’s a testament to how much she showed you how wonderful it is to have a kitty (or doggy) in your life.

And you know what else speaks to the joy they bring? Because we get another one…..after. As painful as it is to lose them, the joy they bring exceeds that pain.

Couple of nice kitty quotes, not sure of the attribution:

“Gd has given us two things to soothe our troubled souls. Music….and cats.”

“A house without a cat is a missing its soul.”

I have gotten a new cat within weeks of losing the previous one, and the way I got beyond the “traitor” feeling is to think this way: the joy that I had with my now-gone cat was so great…..to wonderful…..that I simply cannot live without a fur-ball in my life.

IOW, it’s not a betrayal to your lost love. It’s a testament to how much she showed you how wonderful it is to have a kitty (or doggy) in your life.

And you know what else speaks to the joy they bring? Because we get another one…..after. As painful as it is to lose them, the joy they bring exceeds that pain.
You make a fair point. There are a lot of animals out there that need rescuing.

I'm still hurting over the loss of my dog, though.

I don't know. I'll think on it. Thank you.

You make a fair point. There are a lot of animals out there that need rescuing.

I'm still hurting over the loss of my dog, though.

I don't know. I'll think on it. Thank you.
You’re welcome.

When I was at the shelter, looking for a new kitty three weeks after the loss of my dear companion, I asked the shelter staff if it was too soon. She said, of course, that everyone is different, but she told me that she’s had people who had stopped at the shelter on the way home from the euthanasia appointment. She said they didn’t want to live even a night in a house without a cat.

It sure seems soon to me, but again….that is a testament to the love their previous kitty gave them.

One thing I’ve avoided, though, is getting one that looks similar to the passed one, There was one loving cat that jumped right into my lap, but she looked EXACTLY like my wonderful Coco. That, to me, would feel too much like a replacement, so I didn’t take her, but sometimes I wonder if I made the wrong decision.

Anyway, I took a different one - every bit in need of a home as the Coco lookalike. She’s been a very sweet cat, and very affectionate.

Get a new pup whenever you’re ready, but don’t think you’re betraying the dog you lost. It’s a COMPLIMENT to him.

Forum List

Back