Do You Know the Value of Stray Cats ?

???? Stop what ?

PS - shooting cats is a crime.

PS. No it's not. Thats like saying it's illegal to kill feral hogs.
As they say...Location,Location,Location.
I had around twenty five scrawny cats on my property the previous owners left.
They decimated the local wildlife. Killed all but three,the wildlife came back and the three remaining cats are well fed.
All perfectly legal.

I don't know where you live, but in every state in the USA, killing cats is animal cruelty > a crime. Here's an example (in Florida)

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Dont care about florida.
Try Texas law. And dont forget to look into feral animals that cause damage.

Cats create disease control. without them, you get the vermin that spread the disease. What do you think caused the bubonic plague of the 14th century that killed millions of people in Europe ? Rats. And it was cats that brought it to an end.

Nobody is saying cats are bad. We're saying to many cats are bad,just like any invasive species they have to be thinned when they become a threat to the ecosystem.

I dont understand liberals. They'll deny someone the right to property to save a salamander,but dont care if a bunch of stray cats wipe out native wildlife.

If you really think native wildlife are in jeopardy, you should notify your state or County wildlife agency and let them assess it. If they think it needs attention, they'll attend to it. If you do, you might wind up in jail. In Florida, what you said you do varies from a 1st degree misdemeanor (1 year in County jail) to a 3rd degree felony (5 years in a state prison).

:lol: They'd laugh in your face. And I dont need the government to tell me that feral cats kill wildlife,thats common knowledge.
And the results speak for themselves.

Nobody is saying cats are bad. We're saying to many cats are bad,just like any invasive species they have to be thinned when they become a threat to the ecosystem.

I dont understand liberals. They'll deny someone the right to property to save a salamander,but dont care if a bunch of stray cats wipe out native wildlife.

If you really think native wildlife are in jeopardy, you should notify your state or County wildlife agency and let them assess it. If they think it needs attention, they'll attend to it. If you do, you might wind up in jail. In Florida, what you said you do varies from a 1st degree misdemeanor (1 year in County jail) to a 3rd degree felony (5 years in a state prison).

:lol: They'd laugh in your face. And I dont need the government to tell me that feral cats kill wildlife,thats common knowledge.

Maybe it 's all a matter of WHERE we live. Where I live, cats killing "wildlife" is a GOOD thing. It keeps our homes free of palmetto bugs, mice, rats, lizards, and snakes, and the DOZENS of diseases those vermin carry. The cats are our (free of charge) 24/7 on the job, pest control workers. In return, we feed them, house them in little cat shelter boxes, bring them to the Humane Society to be fixed, bring them to veterinarians occasionally, and in the case of the abandoned, former housecats, we pet them and give them a little love. We also make cat abusers wish they were never born. :D

Last edited:

Maybe it 's all a matter of WHERE we live. Where I live, cats killing "wildlife" is a GOOD thing. It keeps our homes free of palmetto bugs, mice, rats, lizards, and snakes, and the DOZENS of diseases those vermin carry. The cats are our (free of charge) 24/7 on the job, pest control workers. In return, we feed them, house them in little cat shelter boxes, bring them to the Humane Society to be fixed, bring them to veterinarians occasionally, and in the case of the abandoned, former housecats, we pet them and give them a little love. We also make cat abusers wish they were never born. :D

Cats dont attack poisonous snakes. And snakes eat mice and rats,those being the only animals you listed that are a health issue.
I'd rather have the snakes than the cats. Snakes dont shit and piss everywhere and cat urine and droppings cause ringworm and other health problems.
And dont think I limit myself to cats. I dont care if it's dogs,hogs,cats or any other animal. If they are doing damage to my property or cause a health issue they're toast.
And you can stop with the internet tough guy routine,it's laughable.

Cats dont attack poisonous snakes. And snakes eat mice and rats,those being the only animals you listed that are a health issue.
I'd rather have the snakes than the cats. Snakes dont shit and piss everywhere and cat urine and droppings cause ringworm and other health problems.
And dont think I limit myself to cats. I dont care if it's dogs,hogs,cats or any other animal. If they are doing damage to my property or cause a health issue they're toast.

With cats around, you don't need snakes to kill mice and rats. Mice and rats can smell a cat from 100 yards away. When they do, they won't go there. That's why my apartment complex has no rats. Because we have stray cats around. So we'll take the stray cats to mitigate the rat problem, and you can have the poisonous snakes.

As for health issues, that's where the cats do you a service. They keep things clean by keeping away the rats, mice, large bugs, and other disease carrying vermin. Or in your case, at least they would be, if only you weren't out killing them off.

So if you've got all that disease-carrying vermin coming around, I hope you've got your medical insurance payments up to date. I don't have to pay for mine. I've got VA medical, with an Army-connected disability. THAT's my tough guy routine. I need none other.:trolls:

Last edited:

With cats around, you don't need snakes to kill mice and rats. Mice and rats can smell a cat from 100 yards away. When they do, they won't go there. That's why my apartment complex has no rats. Because we have stray cats around. So we'll take the stray cats to mitigate the rat problem, and you can have the poisonous snakes.

As for health issues, that's where the cats do you a service. They keep things clean by keeping away the rats, mice, large bugs, and other disease carrying vermin. Or in your case, at least they would be, if only you weren't out killing them off.

So if you've got all that disease-carrying vermin coming around, I hope you've got your medical insurance payments up to date. I don't have to pay for mine. I've got VA medical, with an Army-connected disability. THAT's my tough guy routine. I need none other.:trolls:

Pffft....Thats the problem,I can smell cat shit and urine a hundred yards away myself.
And since you live in an apartment you aren't the one dealing with the cat shit and piss everywhere. Maybe if you owned your own home you would feel different about it.
And since you live in an apartment you dont have wildlife everywhere...other then feral cats that is.
Unlike you I prefer native wild life over a bunch of feral cats. And the law agrees with me.
So tell me...what do you have against endangered species?

Pffft....Thats the problem,I can smell cat shit and urine a hundred yards away myself.
And since you live in an apartment you aren't the one dealing with the cat shit and piss everywhere. Maybe if you owned your own home you would feel different about it.
And since you live in an apartment you dont have wildlife everywhere...other then feral cats that is.
Unlike you I prefer native wild life over a bunch of feral cats. And the law agrees with me.

Around my apartment complex is lots of wildlife. Raccoons, possum, ducks of various species, snakes, squirrels, various birds including sand cranes, egrets, herons, various insects.

We don't have cat shit around and where there might be some (in case you never knew) cats COVER up their crap with sand & dirt. You never step in it and you never smell it. Not so with dogs and unscrupulous dog owners who let their dogs go around crapping all over, dogs don't cover it, and the bad owners don't pick up after the dog.

As for owning an own home, I don't see what that has to do with it.

Around my apartment complex is lots of wildlife. Raccoons, possum, ducks of various species, snakes, squirrels, various birds including sand cranes, egrets, herons, various insects.

We don't have cat shit around and where there might be some (in case you never knew) cats COVER up their crap with sand & dirt. You never step in it and you never smell it. Not so with dogs and unscrupulous dog owners who let their dogs go around crapping all over, dogs don't cover it, and the bad owners don't pick up after the dog.

Are you some kind of imbecile? Cat piss doesn't stink? Thats why cat litter companies are constantly trying to come up with ways to neutralize it?
And what the fuck do dogs have to do with it? So many questions.....
And if you dont get the connection between pride of ownership Vs. renting?
Please keep renting,you'll just bring down property values for some poor slob if you purchase a home. The cat lady next door perchance?

Are you some kind of imbecile? Cat piss doesn't stink? Thats why cat litter companies are constantly trying to come up with ways to neutralize it?
Please keep renting,you'll just bring down property values for some poor slob if you purchase a home. The cat lady next door perchance?

Try waiting until you know what you're talking about before you mouth off. Cat piss only stinks in UNneutered males. That's because it's mixed with a chemical they use to mark their territories. When the males are neutered (as all our male cats are here), they have no odor to their urine at all. We never smell anything from cats.

What dogs have to do with it is THEY are the mess makers (ones with irresponsible owners who don't pick up)

As for renting vs owning, I wouldn't own a home if they PAID ME for it. I've owned 2 homes in the past, and they're nothing but headaches and repair bills. As a renter, I let THE HELP take case of the maintenance chores + I have 2 swimming pools, a tennis court, a jacuzzi, an exercise room, a clubhouse, a private car wash facility, and 12 acres of wooded walking trails. And you have what ? Property tax ?

I read a study that showed that except for island, cats do not impact wildlife populations.

You're an asshole who can't spell but the one thing you've been correct about is that numbers matter. If we allow cat populations to multiply out of control, we'll look like Australia. "Thinning" or culling does not work. More are born and/or more are dumped. Spay/neuter, the colony stabilizes and vermin is controlled.

Meanwhile, criminalize dumping animals and subsidize spay/neuter.

If you object to your taxes being spent to subsidize spay/neuter, keep in mind you already pay taxes for county animal control. Why not use that money to address the root cause of the problem?

Sorry..stopped reading when you brought up some imagined study saying cats dont kill wildlife.
What a dumbass.....

And if you thought I was driving over a hundred miles round trip to go and get 23 cats spayed and neutered you're fucken nuts. And forget the fact that if you tried to lay a hand on em they'd shred the shit out of you.
We wouldnt have this problem if you so called "cat people" would take care of your fucken cats in the first place.
You dont see my dogs out in the middle of the night shitting in the neighbors yard and screwing strays. If people would keep their damn cats inside and spay and neuter the dam things we wouldnt even be discussing this.

Ummm...he has a point here, folks. And I'm someone who has five stray cats I've taken in along with my own two cats. Well, actually four stray cats now, one of them died. I'd had him for nine years and he died of kidney failure.

But that's what I'm thinking when I'm rescuing strays...what's with these fucking people abandoning their cats or letting them run loose and not getting them spayed or neutered. THEY'RE the problem.

Try waiting until you know what you're talking about before you mouth off. Cat piss only stinks in UNneutered males. That's because it's mixed with a chemical they use to mark their territories. When the males are neutered (as all our male cats are here), they have no odor to their urine at all. We never smell anything from cats.

What dogs have to do with it is THEY are the mess makers (ones with irresponsible owners who don't pick up)

As for renting vs owning, I wouldn't own a home if they PAID ME for it. I've owned 2 homes in the past, and they're nothing but headaches and repair bills. As a renter, I let THE HELP take case of the maintenance chores + I have 2 swimming pools, a tennis court, a jacuzzi, an exercise room, a clubhouse, a private car wash facility, and 12 acres of wooded walking trails. And you have what ? Property tax ?

You're so full of shit. Cat piss stinks...period!
And I dont have stray dog problems.
And what have I got? Everything you listed but a tennis court,and it's paid for.
The help? You make it sound like you have servants...:lol: You're pretty uppity for an apartment dweller.
And as far as maintenance chores go? I dont do shit around here that I dont want to do. I dont mow the grass,I don't rotate the flowers in the beds,I dont pull weeds....I pay people to do those things. Sounds to me like you cant afford a home.

I read a study that showed that except for island, cats do not impact wildlife populations.

You're an asshole who can't spell but the one thing you've been correct about is that numbers matter. If we allow cat populations to multiply out of control, we'll look like Australia. "Thinning" or culling does not work. More are born and/or more are dumped. Spay/neuter, the colony stabilizes and vermin is controlled.

Meanwhile, criminalize dumping animals and subsidize spay/neuter.

If you object to your taxes being spent to subsidize spay/neuter, keep in mind you already pay taxes for county animal control. Why not use that money to address the root cause of the problem?

Sorry..stopped reading when you brought up some imagined study saying cats dont kill wildlife.
What a dumbass.....

And if you thought I was driving over a hundred miles round trip to go and get 23 cats spayed and neutered you're fucken nuts. And forget the fact that if you tried to lay a hand on em they'd shred the shit out of you.
We wouldnt have this problem if you so called "cat people" would take care of your fucken cats in the first place.
You dont see my dogs out in the middle of the night shitting in the neighbors yard and screwing strays. If people would keep their damn cats inside and spay and neuter the dam things we wouldnt even be discussing this.

Ummm...he has a point here, folks. And I'm someone who has five stray cats I've taken in along with my own two cats. Well, actually four stray cats now, one of them died. I'd had him for nine years and he died of kidney failure.

But that's what I'm thinking when I'm rescuing strays...what's with these fucking people abandoning their cats or letting them run loose and not getting them spayed or neutered. THEY'RE the problem.

Here We Go Again doesn't know his ass from his elbow about cats. This is obvious.
First, he says "you tried to lay a hand on em they'd shred the shit out of you."
Yeah, they would do just that. That's why people who take cats in to be fixed DON'T LAY A HAND ON THEM.

EARTH TO HWGA: When you take cats in to be fixed, you TRAP THEM. You bait the trap with cat food. You watch it. And within a few minutes, you have a cat in your trap. Then, you take it to the Humane Society, or wherever you may go to fix the cat. And with the feral cats, you couldn't lay a hand on them if your life depended on it. In case you never noticed, cats are FAST. A lot faster than us humans, they are nature's perfect athletes, super fast, extremely AGILE, and are also great jumpers. And they not real comfortable with humans grabbing them.

Secondly, here we go again, telling HWGA what everyone who knows about cats, knows. Their urine only smells bad in male cats that are not neutered yet. I explained this already. This is a well-known fact. Not open for debate. If you have a problem getting this to sink in HWGA, consult your local veterinarians. They'll set you straight on it, in an instant. Not my problem.

Last edited:

You're so full of shit. Cat piss stinks...period!
And I dont have stray dog problems.
And what have I got? Everything you listed but a tennis court,and it's paid for.
The help? You make it sound like you have servants...:lol: You're pretty uppity for an apartment dweller.
And as far as maintenance chores go? I dont do shit around here that I dont want to do. I dont mow the grass,I don't rotate the flowers in the beds,I dont pull weeds....I pay people to do those things. Sounds to me like you cant afford a home.

Sounds to me like you think owning a home is somehow a higher distinction than renting an apartment. You still don't get it. When I have plumbing, electrical, or some mechanical problem in ht apartment I just call the maintenance guys and they take care of it. Yeah. they are the HELP. They are just like servants (and I don't pay them ANYTHING), as opposed to you in your house, where YOU ARE the help. And like I said, it's not a question of affording. I wouldn't take a house if it was given to me, and they were paying me. Plus houses are security catastrophes. Loaded with windows and doors. A smorgasboard for burglars. Ask any home security expert.

You sound pretty uppity for a lowly homeowner. (been there, done that)

As for the cat piss smell, already addressed that twice. Ask your vet.

I think cats serve a purpose but I wouldn't want TOO many hanging around. Cat piss does stink but I would rather put up with that smell (if kept to a minimum) than to have rodents and pests overrunning my neighborhood.

I'm not personally a fan of keeping cats in the house. I don't like hair all over the place and they can create a bad odor if they're allowed too much free reign. I don't mind cats outside as long as there aren't too many of them. I see three or four cats running around my neighborhood and they don't pose a problem.

Forum List

Back