Musk to Rescue Astronauts

I remember when the Air Force was looking for a new aerial tanker to replace the KC-135. Boeing kinda phoned in a new plane. Airbus partnered with Northrop Grumman and offered a superior product that got the Air Force's attention, and ultimately DoD was going to buy it. Boeing threw a hissy fit, and after years of back and forth and changing requests for proposal that did little but highlight how fucked up the procurement system is, Boeing got the contract.

Maybe NASA should have asked Airbus to build them a rocket.
I think the fact that Airbus is a French company probably had something to do with that. I can't see any other reason why they would partner with Northrup-Grumman. Airbus is capable of performing on their own. NG gave them the US producer.

In another round of requests for proposals, Airbus submitted a completely in-house plane.
Seems that would have made the possibility less tenable as, if I'm not mistaken, the US does not contract with foreign companies for military hardware. Many municipalities have similar policies in place. IDK, I haven't seen the contracts, but that is my understanding.

Yep, the 8 day mission that turned into 8 months

Could be worse … could have been a three-hour tour.

IMG_2642.jpeg

Seems that would have made the possibility less tenable as, if I'm not mistaken, the US does not contract with foreign companies for military hardware. Many municipalities have similar policies in place. IDK, I haven't seen the contracts, but that is my understanding.
That's my understanding as well, but like I said, the procurement system is such a colossal turd, filled with graft and corruption.

Space X built a proven system for half the amount that Boeing spent on a system that doesn't.

That IS impressive.
What isn't impressive is that since Boeing chose to embrace DEI policies, their company has gone from a world leader to a collection of moronic debacles. Doors that fall out of the fuselage mid flight because they weren't bolted in, 737 Max, LOL and now an 8 day tour. Thank God for Elon Musk.

Space X built a proven system for half the amount that Boeing spent on a system that doesn't.
That IS impressive.

Not only that but they did it on schedule, years ago, while Boeing still has nothing but a hunk or junk.

The SpaceX Dragon was planned to be a fallback for the Boeing Starliner. Now Boeing will be lucky to even manage to salvage themselves as a fallback to the Dragon.

But then, who can be surprised--- while Musk CUT his teeth on the private sector, all Boeing knows is the cushy position of guaranteed contracts as a government contractor where late deliveries and huge budget overruns are EXPECTED and customary.

What isn't impressive is that since Boeing chose to embrace DEI policies, their company has gone from a world leader to a collection of moronic debacles. Doors that fall out of the fuselage mid flight because they weren't bolted in, 737 Max, LOL and now an 8 day tour [snipped]
Regarding your DEI security blanket:
  • Boeing has 141,582 employees.
  • 27% of Boeing employees are women, while 73% are men.
  • The most common ethnicity at Boeing is White (61%).
  • 15% of Boeing employees are Hispanic or Latino.
  • 10% of Boeing employees are Asian.
  • The average employee at Boeing makes $72,617 per year.
  • Boeing employees are most likely to be members of the democratic party.
  • Employees at Boeing stay with the company for 8.4 years on average.

Boeing employee diversity statistics​

• 27% of Boeing employees are female.
  • 61% of Boeing employees are white.
Boeing Diversity Score
We calculate the diversity score of companies by measuring multiple factors, including the ethnic background, gender identity, and language skills of their workforce.
Boeing CEODavid L. Calhoun
IndustryCapital Goods
Company TypePublic
Boeing Employees Who Are Women27%
Boeing Executives Who Are Women32%
Boeing Employees Who Are Minorities39%
Boeing Executives Who Are Minorities36%
Most Common Minority At BoeingHispanic or Latino
Most Common Foreign LanguageSpanish

KEEP IN MIND a few things though:
  1. It takes highly trained and skilled engineers to design stuff like they make. The best ones tend to be white guys, so naturally, most of the 140,000 employees would tend to be white men.
  2. DEI has only taken effect the past few years (2-3?), so hasn't had time yet to wind throughout the company yet. But that could account for many of the minority figures.
  3. About the same time DEI got serious is about the time that Boeing has literally fallen apart with troubles.

Boeing employee diversity statistics​

• 27% of Boeing employees are female.
  • 61% of Boeing employees are white.
Boeing Diversity Score
We calculate the diversity score of companies by measuring multiple factors, including the ethnic background, gender identity, and language skills of their workforce.
Boeing CEODavid L. Calhoun
IndustryCapital Goods
Company TypePublic
Boeing Employees Who Are Women27%
Boeing Executives Who Are Women32%
Boeing Employees Who Are Minorities39%
Boeing Executives Who Are Minorities36%
Most Common Minority At BoeingHispanic or Latino
Most Common Foreign LanguageSpanish
Yawn.

Forum List

Back