Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
The unions want Walmart, and it is just greed. The unions want to take food out of the mouths of millions of American families so that they can line their own pockets and stuff their greedy snouts.

That's about as simple as it can be stated - and it is 100% fact.

now we have food stamps at least, 100 years ago they were quite willing to starve others to death! Its hard to imagine that we made them legal.

If one chooses to leave their country of origin and immigrate to the USA, they are expected to live by the rules of our culture as it relates to those native to this country. In other words Americans. I will not throw the baby out with the bath water on cultural issues. This is America. We have a distinct American culture. Something liberals have been attempting to destroy for years. So if one comes here, they will have to get used to OUR holidays.

Culture is not a set of "rules."

Walmart recently opened a "neighborhood market" near me, and I love it! Great prices, and their meat is better than the "established" grocery stores, and cheaper! The employees are young folks and housewives, not the typical "lifer" union fare you see at the other grocery stores. Some cashiers at the local Albertsons and Vons have been there 30 years. IMO that kind of job should be a stepping stone, or just part time gig, not a career. Also just a nicer atmosphere at the Walmart grocery. And no fucking club cards or games!

They just put bike racks outside, and I often cruise by on the way home from the pier to grab a few bags of groceries.

8752363_600x338.jpg

Last edited:
We don't buy groceries from Wal-mart anymore. DeMoulas/Market Basket stores are cheaper, better quality, better selection. Twenty years ago, Wal-mart was one stop shopping. Now some items are missing, with bunches of items from the neighboring shelf to fill the empty space. I still get stuff at Wal-mart, after checking Wal-mart.com to see if that item is in the store.

And that is why Walmart is not the only retail outlet there is. Some prefer the selection and incentives Best Buy offers for electronics and Best Buy therefore thrives while Walmart sells enough electronics to maintain a comprehensive department featuring them. As DVD stores couldn't compete with Netflix and On Demand cable and started going out of business, Amazon thrives and Walmart now has one of the best selections of DVDs and Blueray for those who want to add to their home movie collections.

And Walmart is certainly not the only big box store to change the retail culture. Almost all of the mom and pop office supply stores have not survived as Office Max, Ofice Depot, and Staples came onto the scene. The mom and pop neighborhood hardware store couldn't compete with Lowes and Home Depot. Folks who want the better quality offered by higher end store such as Penneys and Sears still shop at Penneys, Sears, Macys, and Dillards but those higher end stores are struggling in an economy in which more and more of us do have to pick and choose how we are going to spend our money. Walmart, offering more lower end stuff, feels the pinch too but not as much.

But because Walmart is the biggest of the retail giants, that is the target of those who want to bring down large corporations for whatever motive.

Last edited:
Walmart recently opened a "neighborhood market" near me, and I love it! Great prices, and their meat is better than the "established" grocery stores, and cheaper! The employees are young folks and housewives, not the typical "lifer" union fare you see at the other grocery stores. Some cashiers at the local Albertsons and Vons have been there 30 years. IMO that kind of job should be a stepping stone, or just part time gig, not a career. Also just a nicer atmosphere at the Walmart grocery. And no fucking club cards or games!

They just put bike racks outside, and I often cruise by on the way home from the pier to grab a few bags of groceries.

I hope the Walmart for which plans to begin construction are scheduled for Jan '13 will be like this one. Several community groups still plan to have petitions signed to oppose construction but it sounds like that will not change the plans.

This particular strip mall was built in the 60's and has been declining for several decades. Yes, it would have been wonderful if 20/30 small business owners could have opened shops and restaurants stimulating the right amount of growth for that area. That is not how it goes around here.

I hope the Walmart for which plans to begin construction are scheduled for Jan '13 will be like this one. Several community groups still plan to have petitions signed to oppose construction but it sounds like that will not change the plans.

This particular strip mall was built in the 60's and has been declining for several decades. Yes, it would have been wonderful if 20/30 small business owners could have opened shops and restaurants stimulating the right amount of growth for that area. That is not how it goes around here.

On the other hand, for 14 years we lived in a unincorporated rural community in the mountains just east of Albuquerque. Most of us commuted into the city to work and for major essential shopping, but we also appreciated the convenience of our small but well stocked local little super market with the best meat department in the county, the auto repair shop that could quickly take care of the tire repair, oil change, or other minor issues without us having to go through the hassle of the big shops in town, the small flower and gift shop featuring handmade local crafts etc. where we could dash in for an emergency purchase, the local small hardware store that had the bolt or can of paint or propane refill for our outdoor grills. The couple of dozen small shops were a large part of the character and charm of our community and we knew a Super Center would change all that. So we worked pretty hard to petition the county not to rezone the area to accommodate one. We have moved into the city now and enjoy our local Walmart, but there still isn't one out there on the mountain.

There was a HUGE fight here when the first big Walmart had plans to open on a long-deserted school site in town. Took many years of local bickering and lies from the "progressive" opponents, but after it was finally all built, even most of the opposition admitted it was a very good thing. It turned a huge, weed-filled, unused and blighted parcel into a full shopping center, with Walmart as the anchor and numerous small businesses surrounding it. Also brings millions of dollars to the city coffers in taxes and fees, as well as to the school district, which still owns the land.

The shopping center that the new Walmart "Neighborhood Market" is in was also very run down and declining for decades, and has now been completely rebuilt with most of the old businesses staying, and now enjoying more customers (and a much nicer look), as well as many new small businesses and restaurants that have been added.

Last edited:

There was a HUGE fight here when the first big Walmart had plans to open on a long-deserted school site in town. Took many years of local bickering and lies from the "progressive" opponents, but after it was finally all built, even most of the opposition admitted it was a very good thing. It turned a huge, weed-filled, unused and blighted parcel into a full shopping center, with Walmart as the anchor and numerous small businesses surrounding it. Also brings millions of dollars to the city coffers in taxes and fees, as well as to the school district, which still owns the land.

The shopping center that the new Walmart "Neighborhood Market" is in was also very run down and declining for decades, and has now been completely rebuilt with most of the old businesses staying, and now enjoying more customers (and a much nicer look), as well as many new small businesses and restaurants that have been added.

And that is something to consider too. There aren't very many Walmarts around that also don't share space with numerous other businesses who benefit from using Walmart as an anchor store. Shopping malls have operated on just such a principle for decades now.

And yes, often a Walmart will decimate some small businesses in some small towns, but it just as often provides sufficient jobs and market base that people are encouraged to locate or stay there and other businesses benefit from it being there. And it encourages shoppers to stay in town to shop rather than drive to the nearest larger city.

Better cars, more affluence, and better highways encourage folks to go to the city to shop for big ticket items or orders and that has had as much drag on the mom and pop stores as anything Walmart or other big box stores have done. New Mexico, and I suspect all other states, is dotted with tiny communities that have no businesses left. And the decimation of their populations happened without any Walmart or other big box store of any kind in the area.

And yes, often a Walmart will decimate some small businesses in some small towns, but it just as often provides sufficient jobs and market base that people are encouraged to locate or stay there and other businesses benefit from it being there.

ah yes great point!!! and don't forget that people who shop at WalMart walk out the door with more in their pockets and so spend elsewhere in town to stimulate the economy. This is the very essence of economic progress. WalMart must represent a real stimulus (not Obama stimulus)of $1 trillion at least given what it has saved us in lower prices!!

Last edited:
If one chooses to leave their country of origin and immigrate to the USA, they are expected to live by the rules of our culture as it relates to those native to this country. In other words Americans. I will not throw the baby out with the bath water on cultural issues. This is America. We have a distinct American culture. Something liberals have been attempting to destroy for years. So if one comes here, they will have to get used to OUR holidays.

Yes it is. Move to France. You will be expected to learn the French language and obey their customs. Those are rules.

I went food shopping last night. I had very little money for it. I had to feed my family of four on under a 100 dollars for about 8 days. Got some things at save a lot but most of our meat and cheese and other goods like lunch meat for school had to come from Wal-Mart cause ALL the other stores are to expensive. So without Wal-Mart I would have found it impossible to feed my family this week. So I say to all you union supporters praying for Wal-Mart to fail. Fuck you go eat balls!

well, I have never said that I hoped WalMart would fail, so I assume I am exempt from your suggestion.

Still rather new here but this strikes me as inflammatory/offensive. Perhaps this is nothing compared to what others say/have said.

I have many financial challenges and understand the frustration of trying to provide for a family with next to nothing. I hope things improve for you, thanatos144.

This is a difficult time of year for many of us. We would like to do 'everything' for those we love and cannot do that.

Much is said about the 'evils' of big box stores but they serve a purpose in the great economic melting pot. As do stores such as Goodwill. I have purchased some very nice things from Goodwill and paid much less than I would have paid at WalMart. Better quality --designer clothing and household items. If pennies must be pinched then I can pinch with the best.

I worked in retail for many years and became somewhat disillusioned with paying the prices required to support department stores in the more expensive mall locations. The actual products, I learned, included the cost of the rent, utilities, employee salaries and benefits and transportation of goods as well as every other cost involved.

If WalMart or others can buy in volume, select less desirable locations, run the stores without frills--that is OK with me. At times, I wish SAM's could offer a bag for my purchases --most shoppers buy in such quantities that they don't need bags. Supplying small businesses I have been told. Their prices on produce are competitive with WalMarts--I assume they are in fact affiliated with WalMart. Another alternative.

Walmart...Sam Walton...
Sam's Club...Sam Walton..Same company.

It is not about affording it in as much a choosing a few things in life that I can appreciate. To me a fine fedora is a work of art, a fragrance is as unique as finger prints and a fabric is like the skein of life; some delicate, some rough-hewn.

Oh no doubt. And I don't begrudge those who enjoy that kind of luxury. But when you have to choose between an expensive fragrance and a pot roast for Thursday night, the pot roast is probably going to win out. But then you are probably not the demographic most Walmarts shoot for either. :)

I can't wear commercial perfumes because the scent fixatives make my nose hurt. So I make my own body spray and customize the scent to my personal tastes. The things you can learn from library books!

So THAT was the unusual odor I detected!!!!!
Nyuk nyuk....JK

We don't buy groceries from Wal-mart anymore. DeMoulas/Market Basket stores are cheaper, better quality, better selection. Twenty years ago, Wal-mart was one stop shopping. Now some items are missing, with bunches of items from the neighboring shelf to fill the empty space. I still get stuff at Wal-mart, after checking Wal-mart.com to see if that item is in the store.

Wow, Market Basket. They had those here in California 40 years ago, but I don't see them anymore.

Never heard of that chain.

Yes it is.

No, it's not. Try to learn the meaning of terms before you use them.

On the other hand, for 14 years we lived in a unincorporated rural community in the mountains just east of Albuquerque. Most of us commuted into the city to work and for major essential shopping, but we also appreciated the convenience of our small but well stocked local little super market with the best meat department in the county, the auto repair shop that could quickly take care of the tire repair, oil change, or other minor issues without us having to go through the hassle of the big shops in town, the small flower and gift shop featuring handmade local crafts etc. where we could dash in for an emergency purchase, the local small hardware store that had the bolt or can of paint or propane refill for our outdoor grills. The couple of dozen small shops were a large part of the character and charm of our community and we knew a Super Center would change all that. So we worked pretty hard to petition the county not to rezone the area to accommodate one. We have moved into the city now and enjoy our local Walmart, but there still isn't one out there on the mountain.

Wanna hear about over inflated labor rates. The Shop Rite chain in the NY Metro area, was 100% union. In 1986 my friend's sister was a part time cashier at out town store. Sitting down?.....She was getting SEVENTEEN dollars per hour. That is absurd.
I don't know if the unions were run out but I do know that many of the chains up there that were union are union no more.

Yes it is.

You have an opinion. I deal with reality. And that reality is that when one immigrates to a nation, they obey the laws and customs of that nations. And the assimilate to the culture.
Case closed.

Case open.

Read it again: Culture is not a set of rules. One obeys laws because (when it comes right down to it) one has no choice but to do so or face punishment. One adopts customs as a matter of choice and degree. You don't even understand what culture is.

You have an opinion. I deal with reality. And that reality is that when one immigrates to a nation, they obey the laws and customs of that nations. And the assimilate to the culture.
Case closed.

Case open.

Read it again: Culture is not a set of rules. One obeys laws because (when it comes right down to it) one has no choice but to do so or face punishment. One adopts customs as a matter of choice and degree. You don't even understand what culture is.

You are arguing just to argue.
Case closed. Because I said so. Discussion terminated. Go argue with yourself.

Forum List

Back