Do You Smoke Pot/Weed?

Do you smoke Pot/Weed?

• Yes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • I used to

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I tried it once or twice. Got nothing out of it.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
So is gambling addictive?

Gambling is an action, not a substance. Actions are not "addictions". Substances are.

So there is no such thing as a gambling addiction?

Correct. You cannot describe a psychological behaviour, even if chronic, even if self-destructive or self-delusional, as an "addiction". Again that's playing loosely with a definition. It would be more accurate to describe the chain of cigarettes that gambler puffs on while gambling, as an "addiction".

The difference is --- if the cigarette supply is suddenly interrupted, the body experiences physiological changes in reaction. If the gambling opportunity is suddenly interrupted --- it does not.

Fairly simple really. It's either a one or a zero. With an action --- it's a zero.

Because again, as already stated by myself and others -- under a definition that loose, anything a person does more than once can be labeled an "addiction". And when you go down that road, you suck all the meaning out of the term.

I think you can be addicted to anything.
The difference being a PHYSICAL addition or a PSYCHOLOGICAL addiction.

When I smoked 12 years ago, I had a PSYCHOLOGOICAL addiction to them. When I quit I suffered no physical withdrawal. But my mind/selfishness wanted it.

There are not set rules on these things.

I would still classify tobacco as barely an "addiction". It's true the body does experience some changes upon withdrawal, although they're not changes that put one in danger if the fix isn't supplied. Smoking is primarily a head trip.

When I quit for the last time 33 years ago one of the best assists I got was from a friend who maintained --- "It's not an 'addiction' -- it's a habit".

Words can put us into cages, or let us out of them. An addiction is something that masters and controls you (and proffers physical penalties if you resist it); a habit is a pattern you can break through will power with no ill effects. Treating it as an "addiction" gives it power; treating it as a habit takes that power away and returns it to the hands of the user.

When we describe an "addiction" we condemn the subject to a state beyond his control; when we describe a "habit" we merely speak of a choice. The latter is voluntary. And that's crucial.

Definition of Addiction

FTA: Definition of Addiction

Public Policy Statement: Definition of Addiction

Short Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

This seems to me a more accurate definition of addiction. This could include many behaviors if you can't control them and they become a detriment.

Definition of Addiction

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

This seems to me a more accurate definition of addiction. This could include many behaviors if you can't control them and they become a detriment.

Does that include posting on an internet message board! :lol:

Smoked multiple times weekly in the seventies.Handful per month in the eighties.Same in the nineties.2-3-4 times a year in the early 2000's.Maybe 4-5 times from 2012-today.
B-Day party for a girl I know in March. Probably smoke a lil with her since she digs it. Hadn't seen her in a couple of years.
I enjoy the stuff but don't go out of my way. It's no big deal. Get a little goofy(er), jam some tunes,eat a crotch taco. Que Sara. Life goes on.

Definition of Addiction

It does. Under that stretch of definition it means anything you do as a habit, that is, more than once.

A perfect example of perverting the term with a broad brush. He's desperately trying to make it stick as a metaphor.

I have eggs for breakfast every morning. Does that make eggs for breakfast an "addiction"? Under that loose of a definition, it must.

If we insist that all our finite terms are all in fact metaphors, then we have no finite terms and our communication means nothing.

Definition of Addiction

It does. Under that stretch of definition it means anything you do as a habit, that is, more than once.

A perfect example of perverting the term with a broad brush. He's desperately trying to make it stick as a metaphor.

I have eggs for breakfast every morning. Does that make eggs for breakfast an "addiction"? Under that loose of a definition, it must.

If we insist that all our finite terms are all in fact metaphors, then we have no finite terms and our communication means nothing.

Does eating eggs in the morning disrupt relationships, put you into financial hardship. Can you abstain from eggs? I hardly think eating eggs in the morning is a dysfunctional behavior.

Definition of Addiction

Does eating eggs in the morning disrupt relationships, put you into financial hardship. Can you abstain from eggs? I hardly think eating eggs in the morning is a dysfunctional behavior.

Exactly.

Therefore it's not an "addiction". That's where you're left when you play that loosely with terms.
Terms have meaning; leave them alone.

Definition of Addiction

When I have cannabis, I smoke cannabis daily. If it goes dry for a few weeks because of the growing season? I wait patiently until it becomes available again.

And............there are no withdrawls, nor do I put myself in financial strains because of it.

Definition of Addiction

When I have cannabis, I smoke cannabis daily. If it goes dry for a few weeks because of the growing season? I wait patiently until it becomes available again.

And............there are no withdrawls, nor do I put myself in financial strains because of it.

I don't smoke cannabis, and I have no withdrawals nor do I put myself in financial strains because of it.

No but alcohol and betting on Sports can...

According to those on this board gambling is not an addiction. :dunno:

Depends. Some people (like myself) are capable of walking around Vegas and sticking to a maximum amount that they are willing to lose. Others are addicted to the rush that they get out of it and cannot control their impulses, because they are looking for the next big payoff and are addicted to the thrill.

But then again, ANYTHING can become addictive psychologically if you let it. People (it's called co-dependency), shopping, jogging, working out, food, etc. It's how that act makes you feel, and in many cases it is covering up some kind of bad feeling or inadequacy.

Depends. Some people (like myself) are capable of walking around Vegas and sticking to a maximum amount that they are willing to lose. Others are addicted to the rush that they get out of it and cannot control their impulses, because they are looking for the next big payoff and are addicted to the thrill.

But then again, ANYTHING can become addictive psychologically if you let it. People (it's called co-dependency), shopping, jogging, working out, food, etc. It's how that act makes you feel, and in many cases it is covering up some kind of bad feeling or inadequacy.

I agree, Pogo and Chris disagree, but if it disrupts your life at the risk of your relationships, your health or finances, then it it an addiction and you have a problem. Withdrawals are definitive when you have an addiction. I know people that run for the high they get from running.

Last edited:
I agree with you, however Pogo and Chris seem to disagree. I know people that run for the high they get from running.

I agree, Pogo and Chris disagree, but if it disrupts your life at the risk of your relationships, your health or finances, then it it an addiction and you have a problem. Withdrawals are definitive when you have an addiction.

Hey................at one time I was addicted to running for the endorphins and the "runner's high" that you could get. The more I ran, the lower the distance was to get it.

Stopped running after I ended up with stress fractures on my feet and switched to bicycling.

I agree, Pogo and Chris disagree, but if it disrupts your life at the risk of your relationships, your health or finances, then it it an addiction and you have a problem. Withdrawals are definitive when you have an addiction. I know people that run for the high they get from running.

I don't really consider that an addiction. I think calling it an "addiction" is a cop out. That is just something people like to do and don't want to stop doing it. IOW, weak people can "addicted" to just about anything I suppose. I don't think normally people become "addicted" to doing an activity though.

Definition of Addiction

I don't smoke cannabis, and I have no withdrawals nor do I put myself in financial strains because of it.
Do you know anything about electricity?

Forum List

Back