Doctors Quitting - Wonderful

A rectal exam is part of an annual physical. Especially for someone your age. If your PCP isn't doing it, they are derelict. Politics has nothing to do with it.

Prostrate cancer doesn't really care how you vote.

You sound like a smart and compliant patient.....

Yes Grampa, I know it's part of an annual exam. Why not take a break from cheerleading Obama's failed health care plan (that President-Elect Romney will repeal) and put your mouth back on Obama's ass where it belongs.

Geaux, I've experienced something quite different down here in Houston. This bill and it's implications are being met with anything but apathy by the physicians at M.D. Anderson, Ben Taub and St. Lukes hospitals. We are the med center to the world and the outlook here is anything but good. I work with these folks too and I keep my ears open.

Geaux, I've experienced something quite different down here in Houston. This bill and it's implications are being met with anything but apathy by the physicians at M.D. Anderson, Ben Taub and St. Lukes hospitals. We are the med center to the world and the outlook here is anything but good. I work with these folks too and I keep my ears open.

The Canadians must be shit-scared. They left Canada's "marvelous" health care plan and fled to the U.S. years ago. Where they off to next?

The Canadians must be shit-scared. They left Canada's "marvelous" health care plan and fled to the U.S. years ago. Where they off to next?

We get more than our share of foreign patients here. Seems nobody wants to wait 50 days for a CAT scan. This is such a scandal I cannot believe the American people are even considering such lunacy. All this radical crap being passed in the midst of Obama fever is going to come back and bite all of us in the ass.

A rectal exam is part of an annual physical. Especially for someone your age. If your PCP isn't doing it, they are derelict. Politics has nothing to do with it.

Prostrate cancer doesn't really care how you vote.

You sound like a smart and compliant patient.....

Yes Grampa, I know it's part of an annual exam. Why not take a break from cheerleading Obama's failed health care plan (that President-Elect Romney will repeal) and put your mouth back on Obama's ass where it belongs.

So you know it's part of your physical, but you try and find a doctor that won't do it? So you intentionally choose bad care? Obamacare probably won't kill you. Prostate cancer might. Think about it.

Where have I cheerleaded the ACA? I have only pointed out that this statistic is screwed up due to a selection bias.

You were very quick to tout the statistic in the OP, but now you won't defend it?

I don't doubt that, but it's had to take anecdotes and convert them into any sort of meaningful statistic.

My only point is that this statistic is intellectually dishonest.

I don't doubt that, but it's had to take anecdotes and convert them into any sort of meaningful statistic.

Mark Twain said:
There are lies, there are DAMNED lies and then there are statistics.:lol:

Im hearing real people talking in real time about real concerns and it ain't good.

"The Daily Caller is a news and opinion website based in Washington, D.C., United States, with a focus on politics, original reporting and breaking news, founded by journalist and political pundit Tucker Carlson and politician Neil Patel, former adviser to former Vice President Dick Cheney. The Daily Caller launched on January 11, 2010."

Source: Wikipedia, see:

The Daily Caller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mark Twain said:

Im hearing real people talking in real time about real concerns and it ain't good.

Anecdotally, I am not hearing much of anything about it (I made another thread about it).

Maybe I am just in the wrong place/wrong time to get an earful (and I certainly don't ask about politics at work), but it's not a permanent "doom and gloom" environment.

I wouldn't take that to mean doctors are ambivalent, which is equally anecdotal. I think in general doctors are leery of any sort of government intrusion, though that hardly begins or ends with the ACA.

I certainly don't know what to make of it. It's not going to change a thing I do with regards to staying or leaving medicine (though I just started residency) so I have a "wait and see" mentality.

I respect that the system is a mess and something needed to happen. I don't know if this was the right answer, but I don't think "repeal!" and return to the status quo is the right answer either.

Eventually, if we are going to balance the budget, we have to tackle our health care crisis.

Mark Twain said:

Anecdotally, I am not hearing much of anything about it (I made another thread about it).

Maybe I am just in the wrong place/wrong time to get an earful (and I certainly don't ask about politics at work), but it's not a permanent "doom and gloom" environment.

I wouldn't take that to mean doctors are ambivalent, which is equally anecdotal. I think in general doctors are leery of any sort of government intrusion, though that hardly begins or ends with the ACA.

I certainly don't know what to make of it. It's not going to change a thing I do with regards to staying or leaving medicine (though I just started residency) so I have a "wait and see" mentality.

I respect that the system is a mess and something needed to happen. I don't know if this was the right answer, but I don't think "repeal!" and return to the status quo is the right answer either.

Eventually, if we are going to balance the budget, we have to tackle our health care crisis.

And that seems to be the general concensus down here. SOMETHING needed to be done but THIS?? If Obama was really serious he would have started with the fraud and over billing we see daily, the redundancies that make everybody's job harder, a thing that will NOT be made better by more Gov't intrusion.
I just see this as a power grab, pure and simple and I am not alone.

Did you know the Mafia is working Medicare now? And why not? There are more than enough dumb doctors that get themselves in deep with the bent nose crowd and there is no more penalty than a wrist slap and plenty of crooked accountants and Dr's waiting in the wings.

Last edited:
You were very quick to tout the statistic in the OP, but now you won't defend it?

I'm sticking to it.

Just like Drudge is.

So you have nothing to say about their huge selection bias?

What about the fact that almost 90% of respondents were in solo or small group practice (which has the latitude to no accept certain types of insurance or see patients with no insurance - in other words, those who have the most to lose under the ACA)?

What about the fact that only 4% of the respondents bothered to respond?

What about the fact that hospital based physicians are virtually unrepresented in the poll (11%)?

What about the fact the Emergency Medicine Physicians (who treat the bulk of the uninsured/noninsured thanks to Reagan passing EMTALA) are completely unrepresented in the poll?

Stick with it all you want. It's not going to fool anyone with a minute degree of statistical literacy.

Claiming that "83% of physicians" based on this poll is hysterical. That would be like conducting a survey in my small town and claiming it was representative of the entire state.

Claiming that "83% of physicians" based on this poll is hysterical. That would be like conducting a survey in my small town and claiming it was representative of the entire state.

83% of the physicians who responded to the poll.

Better now, numbnuts?

What can a person who spent years in Medical school and residency do and then some years as a doctor do that won't be affected by "Obamacare"? What about it makes them want to quit, a steady flow of clients and money?

Lower reimbursements, patient overLoads, and massive liability are a few minor Reasons....

Thanks for one of the few sane answers and reasons! In my opinion the above reason are projections that may or may not be realized.

True. They are projections. Perhaps the ACA will reduce the trend of doctors refusing Medicare patients due to....lower reimbursements, perhaps adding 40,000,000 new insureds will not have much of an effect on a pool of available professionals that is the same size (hello wait times), and perhaps the massive liability doctors already have will actually be lessened by the ACA. On the same page, perhaps the "affordable" part of the ACA will prove to be anything but, perhaps the cost projections will be, like damn near every other government cost projection, massively underestimated (purposefully), and the unicorns we all are waiting for wil not show up. And in the meantime, with all these projections that may or may not happen, we have endured a successful and massive new power grab from the Feds, a new and far-reaching power to tax individuals for purchases they do not even make, changes that impact every citizen, for the benefit of the roughly 10,000,000 that genuinely cannot afford insurance, and do not already qualify for assistance.

83% of the physicians who responded to the poll.

Better now, numbnuts?

Which is 4% of the people that they recruited. So, 700 physicians our of 16000 recruitments, of which 90% were in solo or small group practice, say they might leave medicine due to the ACA."

How is this statistically relevant?

Lower reimbursements, patient overLoads, and massive liability are a few minor Reasons....

Thanks for one of the few sane answers and reasons! In my opinion the above reason are projections that may or may not be realized.

True. They are projections. Perhaps the ACA will reduce the trend of doctors refusing Medicare patients due to....lower reimbursements, perhaps adding 40,000,000 new insureds will not have much of an effect on a pool of available professionals that is the same size (hello wait times), and perhaps the massive liability doctors already have will actually be lessened by the ACA. On the same page, perhaps the "affordable" part of the ACA will prove to be anything but, perhaps the cost projections will be, like damn near every other government cost projection, massively underestimated (purposefully), and the unicorns we all are waiting for wil not show up. And in the meantime, with all these projections that may or may not happen, we have endured a successful and massive new power grab from the Feds, a new and far-reaching power to tax individuals for purchases they do not even make, changes that impact every citizen, for the benefit of the roughly 10,000,000 that genuinely cannot afford insurance, and do not already qualify for assistance.

And maybe if you put a radio in a birds ass you'd have music in the air.:eusa_whistle:

I'm sticking to it.

Just like Drudge is.

So you have nothing to say about their huge selection bias?

What about the fact that almost 90% of respondents were in solo or small group practice (which has the latitude to no accept certain types of insurance or see patients with no insurance - in other words, those who have the most to lose under the ACA)?

What about the fact that only 4% of the respondents bothered to respond?

What about the fact that hospital based physicians are virtually unrepresented in the poll (11%)?

What about the fact the Emergency Medicine Physicians (who treat the bulk of the uninsured/noninsured thanks to Reagan passing EMTALA) are completely unrepresented in the poll?

Stick with it all you want. It's not going to fool anyone with a minute degree of statistical literacy.

Show me a credible source that say single digit participation rates are invalid... That argument is B.S. If it exceeds 10% -- I suspect the participation was coerced.

And EVEN IF the respondents ended up representing private practice -- I AM concerned about the future of those folks. I don't want them them to go away.. So maybe I don't CARE if LARGE institutional staffs were represented. It tells us something.....

A LOT more than some LEFTIST approved factoids in this forum that just won't die...
I'm thinking of one that THAT POLLED readers of a single magazine slanted towards academia and proclaimed something about ALL SCIENTISTS.. You know who I'm talking about..

Forum List

Back