Does character matter?

Does character matter

• Total voters
I don't expect my politicians to be perfect people. I do expect them to demonstrate some character. Most of us are a mixture of both good and bad traits. The difference, to me, is recognizing the bad and making an effort to be better.

For instance, if one is predisposed to cheating on one's spouse, then don't make the commitment that marriage entails. Tell your partner that's why you won't. Be open. Don't lie to someone and tell them you'll be faithful when you know you have no intention of being faithful. Not hard.

Most marriages fail. Are you the same person you were 20 years ago? I'm not.

People change. And sometimes they change in different directions. So a marriage failing is not a mark of dishonor.

Screwing average working families to make yourself obscene amounts of money when you were born rich... yeah, that's immoral to me.
Not a mark of dishonor, for sure. Being married three times does illustrate a tendency of someone making poor choices.

But worse, cheating on your wife for six years illustrates a lying, cheating, arrogant asswipe.

That seems quite rational to me.

I don't expect my politicians to be perfect people. I do expect them to demonstrate some character. Most of us are a mixture of both good and bad traits. The difference, to me, is recognizing the bad and making an effort to be better.

For instance, if one is predisposed to cheating on one's spouse, then don't make the commitment that marriage entails. Tell your partner that's why you won't. Be open. Don't lie to someone and tell them you'll be faithful when you know you have no intention of being faithful. Not hard.

People change. And sometimes they change in different directions. So a marriage failing is not a mark of dishonor.

Screwing average working families to make yourself obscene amounts of money when you were born rich... yeah, that's immoral to me.

Of course I'm not. I was 9 20 years ago. I would expect someone to change considerably between 9 and 29.

Most marriages fail... so? The point I made stands... if you are not capable of keeping the commitment you make to another - don't make the commitment. Not overly hard. One marriage failing is, to me, fairly understandable. The simple fact is that one does not cheat on one's spouse.... and the next spouse, and the next spouse. Logical individuals would say 'hey, I'm just not capable of remaining faithful so I should avoid making that commitment to someone else'. Again, not hard.

I'll ignore the last sentence... since it's meaningless.

Not a mark of dishonor, for sure. Being married three times does illustrate a tendency of someone making poor choices.

But worse, cheating on your wife for six years illustrates a lying, cheating, arrogant asswipe.

Or it took him six years to get out of a bad marriage. Anyway, the only one who should be whining about that is his wife.

I'm not worried Newt is going to cheat on me with another voter. I'm worried Romney will make it easier for employers to offshore my job. And I'm worried that Obama will get a second term and keep fiddling while Rome burns.

So, yeah, it's kind of along the lines enlightened best interest.

Of course I'm not. I was 9 20 years ago. I would expect someone to change considerably between 9 and 29.

Most marriages fail... so? The point I made stands... if you are not capable of keeping the commitment you make to another - don't make the commitment. Not overly hard. One marriage failing is, to me, fairly understandable. The simple fact is that one does not cheat on one's spouse.... and the next spouse, and the next spouse. Logical individuals would say 'hey, I'm just not capable of remaining faithful so I should avoid making that commitment to someone else'. Again, not hard.

I'll ignore the last sentence... since it's meaningless.

Sweet Evil Jesus, you're only 29? Why am I bothering to talk to you. Get back to me when you've lived a little, been out in the real world for a while.

Of course the last sentence is irrelevent to you. It's the the denial you live in. That people are not going to vote for "the guy who lays you off". Frankly, right after the Mormonism, the main reason why I won't vote for Romney is he reminds me of my last boss. The one who fired people if they got sick or pregnant. We've all encountered someone like him, at least those of us over thirty who have a clue, and frankly, we aren't going to vote for that if we don't have to.

Which is why Romney isn't getting above 30%.

Men of high moral character don't got into politics, ever.

So it's a waste of time and energy looking for the perfect person to run the country.

Pick the person you think will do what's right for the country and don't care what they do any other time.

As long as it's legal, of course.

Being a douche bag twards women doesn't mean you can't be tops in the WH.

but I am amused at all the liberals that are saying yes. I bet each and everyone of them gave Clinton a pass and another vote.

So it's a waste of time and energy looking for the perfect person to run the country.

Pick the person you think will do what's right for the country and don't care what they do any other time.

but I am amused at all the liberals that are saying yes. I bet each and everyone of them gave Clinton a pass and another vote.

Hi. You lose.

Granted I was 16 during the 1996 elections but I never gave Clinton a pass. I think he deserved to get pounded for the Lewinsky scandal.

Barack Obama was the first Dem vote I've ever cast for POTUS.

True story :thup:

How many righties were frothing at the mouth over Clinton back in the day are giving Newt a pass now?

That shit plays both ways, yo.

If you dearly miss sex scandals, if corruption means nothing to you, if more deceit from the leaders of government is something you really want~ nominate and elect Gingrich.

I sure as hell did and it was based on job performance, not character. And that's all that should matter.

One of the things Bush ran on was his character and I have no doubt his was above reproach. But he sure sucked at being POTUS. And I'll bet you fucking hypocrites "gave HIM another pass and another vote", didn't you?

If Bush would have turned out to be HALF the POTUS that Clinton was I would have ordered up a DOZEN BLOWJOBS for him. :suck:

Hi. You lose.

Granted I was 16 during the 1996 elections but I never gave Clinton a pass. I think he deserved to get pounded for the Lewinsky scandal.

How many righties were frothing at the mouth over Clinton back in the day are giving Newt a pass now?

pfft

Ok

Those OLD enough to have done so, did so.

splitten fucken hares here people.

but I learned from that time. That the moral character of a man is meaningless when it comes to politics.

utterly and completely meaningless.

No one has the moral high ground. No one can say "well your guys a bigger douche. How dare you vote for him!!"

I'm taking the Glenn Beck view of this election; If shoe gets the nomination, I'm voting for shoe. And if sock is his running mate.....

Hi. You lose.

pfft

Ok

but I learned from that time. That the moral character of a man is meaningless when it comes to politics.

No one has the moral high ground. No one can say "well your guys a bigger douche. How dare you vote for him!!"

I'm taking the Glenn Beck view of this election; If shoe gets the nomination, I'm voting for shoe. And if sock is his running mate.....

What a pantload.

I sure as hell did and it was based on job performance, not character. And that's all that should matter.

One of the things Bush ran on was his character and I have no doubt his was above reproach. But he sure sucked at being POTUS. And I'll bet you fucking hypocrites "gave HIM another pass and another vote", didn't you?

If Bush would have turned out to be HALF the POTUS that Clinton was I would have ordered up a DOZEN BLOWJOBS for him. :suck:

I couldn't vote for swiftboat Kerry or Bush.

so I stayed home that day and hoped for the best.

Besides, shit didn't go south until 2 years after the Dems took over the Senate.

The definition of character isn't one that has remained static either. We used to really look askance at people living together. Or, what about other sins? Gluttony is a sin as well, assuming that some of our moral code comes from religious teaching. Yet, no big deal. One could argue that as a lack of self discipline as well correct? As for Newt, if he can't keep the most solemn vow of marriage, not once but multiple times, then why would anyone assume he is going to swear to uphold the Constitution and all that? There are things i like about Newt. And, no matter who we elect, they come with baggage. But, i am also wondering if maybe Newt has blind ambition to the point of casting people aside as well. Who knows? In essence, Romney has led a very conservative life and conservative values while being more moderate in politics and vice versa. Kind of an interesting dichotomy.

Hi. You lose.

pfft

Ok

What a pantload.

Ok, let me assume you have a high moral standard in your elected officals.

You won't vote for newt, probably not Mittens and if I recall, you think Paul is insane.

based on that, you have no one to vote for.

Obama supported and signed a law that is probably unconstitutional.
Humiliated the country with his bs apology tour
executed a citizen w/o a trial
and stopped the XL pipeline which would have actually created jobs and not just the "saved jobs" lie he had to come up with to cover his ass.

Or are you just bullshitting me about those standards?

I don't get the "Mittens" thing. I guess that is supposed to be condescending or whatever. Sorry, but it makes the person saying it sound stupid.

pfft

Ok

What a pantload.

Ok, let me assume you have a high moral standard in your elected officals.

You won't vote for newt, probably not Mittens and if I recall, you think Paul is insane.

based on that, you have no one to vote for.

Obama supported and signed a law that is probably unconstitutional.
Humiliated the country with his bs apology tour
executed a citizen w/o a trial
and stopped the XL pipeline which would have actually created jobs and not just the "saved jobs" lie he had to come up with to cover his ass.

Or are you just bullshitting me about those standards?

I'm getting a kick out of someone who no doubt didn't give Clinton a pass back in the day who now saying character doesn't matter because of that whole ordeal.....cuz of what da libruls did.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back