Does God Exist?

The Bible is not clear about the flood. If it is not literal event, intended as a theme, why not be clear?

I think that there is a lot in the Bible that is symbolic rather than literal, and it's not always easy to know which is which. In all cases, I think the point is not to give us a detailed, accurate accounting of what happened, but to let us know what God wants us to know, what he thinks we need to know and are ready to know.

I consider the creation at the beginning to be a prime example.

I do not believe that God merely waved his hands and spoke a few words, over the course of six 24-hour periods, and by so doing, caused the Earth to appear, and caused life to appear on it. I'm convinced that it was a very elaborate process, involving very real work, in which all of us who were eventually to populate the Earth almost certainly participated, and that the “days” do not represent literal 24-hour periods defined by the Earth's rotation relative to the Sun (which didn't even occur until a few “days” into the process), but phases of the project that may have extended for hundreds of millions of years.

The point was not to tell us in detail how God created the Earth, to give us the details of a project that even know is probably beyond our mortal limits to understand, but to let us know that he caused it to happen, and that under his direction, it happened in an orderly manner, and was not just a random, unorganized event.
The Bible is not clear about the flood. If it is not literal event, intended as a theme, why not be clear?

I think that there is a lot in the Bible that is symbolic rather than literal, and it's not always easy to know which is which. In all cases, I think the point is not to give us a detailed, accurate accounting of what happened, but to let us know what God wants us to know, what he thinks we need to know and are ready to know.

I consider the creation at the beginning to be a prime example.

I do not believe that God merely waved his hands and spoke a few words, over the course of six 24-hour periods, and by so doing, caused the Earth to appear, and caused life to appear on it. I'm convinced that it was a very elaborate process, involving very real work, in which all of us who were eventually to populate the Earth almost certainly participated, and that the “days” do not represent literal 24-hour periods defined by the Earth's rotation relative to the Sun (which didn't even occur until a few “days” into the process), but phases of the project that may have extended for hundreds of millions of years.

The point was not to tell us in detail how God created the Earth, to give us the details of a project that even know is probably beyond our mortal limits to understand, but to let us know that he caused it to happen, and that under his direction, it happened in an orderly manner, and was not just a random, unorganized event.
Thats fine. Within these forums, I’ve seen everything from Biblical literalists to those whose interpretation is that all is allegory and fable. My opinion is that the Bible is the latter. A collection of allegory and fable, written by many authors over many decades and reflects a period in time when life was harsh and the ebb and flow of life was dictated by events and forces little understood at the time so various gods and demons, most of which were passed down from earlier times, were the causes of existence.

I’m not much interested in gods. I’m more concerned with understanding the motivations of the religious and how their actions may affect me.
Try this on for size: No one is much interested in God(s). We are more concerned with understanding the motivations of our fellow man and how their actions may affect me.

I recommend reading the Bible from that perspective.

I’m not much interested in gods. I’m more concerned with understanding the motivations of the religious and how their actions may affect me.
Try this on for size: No one is much interested in God(s). We are more concerned with understanding the motivations of our fellow man and how their actions may affect me.

I recommend reading the Bible from that perspective.
The Bible is only one book used by one religion. Most of the world is not Christian so the Bible won't serve as a guide to most of our fellow man.

The Bible is only one book used by one religion. Most of the world is not Christian so the Bible won't serve as a guide to most of our fellow man.
Do you believe mankind to be all that unique and different, depending on his area of residence?

Do you believe mankind to be all that unique and different, depending on his area of residence?
Largely, yes. I don't expect a devout Moslem living in Yemen to have much use for Christian values.

Einstein was not a god and was fundamentally wrong about how the universe worked. God does play dice.
What do you have to back up your opinion? I trust Einstein much more because basically you are an atheist/agnostic.
It's not my opinion, it is accepted fact in the, dare I say it, scientific community:

Google "God does not play dice" if you want to know more.

It isn't accepted fact, nor science, but mathematics and something made up by mathematician Ian Stewart from your link. For example, we cannot have anything infinite in this world as by definition we cannot divide by zero. Thus, singularity cannot exist. Einstein is more correct in that God does not play dice. Normally, we do not want chaos or lawlessness as we have the police and military who will put it down. It means that this world was NOT put together due to chaos or randomness. There is design and intelligence behind the universe.

Here is an example, I think you will go to hell. However, God knows where you will go before you were born. It's predestination. This isn't chaos theory. Mine is better than 50/50 chance or random thinking..

Largely, yes. I don't expect a devout Moslem living in Yemen to have much use for Christian values.
Oh? Then which group do you feel more likely blaspheme, lie, cheat, steal, murder, disrespect their parents, and covet another's spouse?

So is grocery shopping. Yet see how I benefit from it.

Probably you are a true believer.

I understand churches mostly survive by contributions alone, however the sign in the front yard of this church really made me laugh. That pastor wants to be sure followers won't have a chance to give excuses of no carrying cash.

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

Oh? Then which group do you feel more likely blaspheme, lie, cheat, steal, murder, disrespect their parents, and covet another's spouse?
Yes, thank goodness christianity came along 2000 years ago to teach us those things are bad. Give me a break.

Maybe so. However, I've never met a Christian who didn't think others would be going to hell but not them.
Basically, we know via the Holy Spirit. That said, Blaise Pascal wasn't sure if he would be "annihilated or unhappy forever." I think he knew.
So what has the Holy Spirit told you? Is it revokeable?

We know that you do not have the Holy Spirit, so that means separation from God now and probably for all time.

What is interesting to me in what Pascal said was that it was annihilation. I suppose a fire would render one to ash. Except what the Bible has stated is that it will be one's perfect body, i.e. new flesh and bone body, that will be destroyed. It means you get your regular resurrected body. This is supposed to mean separation from God, so I think that's what he meant by unhappy forever. It's allegory, so we do not exactly know.

Einstein is more correct in that God does not play dice. Normally, we do not want chaos or lawlessness as we have the police and military who will put it down. It means that this world was NOT put together due to chaos or randomness. There is design and intelligence behind the universe.

You will be disappointed the day you understand what god loony Albert was talking about.

He was not talking in reference to the god of the bible, because he didn't believe in a person god, but he believed in a cosmic god without personality. Search online and after that, you might restrain yourself of using his words as valid to support your beliefs.

This is something like, you repeat a very profound phrase obtained by a follower of Manitou, the spiritual force of the Native American. Then, anyone in your church who listen to you won't give credibility to those words, no matter how close to the truth those can be.

Here is an example, I think you will go to hell. However, God knows where you will go before you were born. It's predestination. This isn't chaos theory. Mine is better than 50/50 chance or random thinking..

So, you are saying God has set a racing competence. The first 100 competitors crossing the finish line will receive a reward, and the rest will be sent to jail. But, that God knows already who the winners will be.

Then, why he is making all the show when he already knows who the winners are?

Such is called fraud, cheating, etc.

I think you have not understood the Scriptures very well.

I think the chance I will go to hell is 0.0000001% so I'm not worried about it. You on the other hand must be very worried since you have a 50% chance of burning in hell for all eternity. I certainly wouldn't want to trade places with you.

Maybe so. However, I've never met a Christian who didn't think others would be going to hell but not them.
Basically, we know via the Holy Spirit. That said, Blaise Pascal wasn't sure if he would be "annihilated or unhappy forever." I think he knew.
So what has the Holy Spirit told you? Is it revokeable?
We know that you do not have the Holy Spirit, so that means separation from God now and probably for all time.

What is interesting to me in what Pascal said was that it was annihilation. I suppose a fire would render one to ash. Except what the Bible has stated is that it will be one's perfect body, i.e. new flesh and bone body, that will be destroyed. It means you get your regular resurrected body. This is supposed to mean separation from God, so I think that's what he meant by unhappy forever. It's allegory, so we do not exactly know.
l have to admit this Holy Spirit thing is very interesting. Care to share what the HS has shared with you? He didn't tell you if you were bound for hell so did you get anything else? Does HS speak to you or do you just feel it on an unconscious level?

I think the chance I will go to hell is 0.0000001% so I'm not worried about it. You on the other hand must be very worried since you have a 50% chance of burning in hell for all eternity. I certainly wouldn't want to trade places with you.

I said it is you who do not have the Holy Spirit and are separated from God. That means my estimate is better than 50% for you to be separated from God forever. If you do not repent , that goes up to 100% after you are dead. I think that I am 99.9999999% right on this based on the chances you gave yourself.

l have to admit this Holy Spirit thing is very interesting. Care to share what the HS has shared with you? He didn't tell you if you were bound for hell so did you get anything else? Does HS speak to you or do you just feel it on an unconscious level?

I rather keep it private.

Now if I was a Christian, I'd be terrified
If you were Christian perhaps you would have a clearer understanding and be at peace.
Let me be your first. No one knows their fate or the fate of others.

So now you can’t say that anymore.
So you're what? Hopeful, scared, or resigned?
Awake.
Mr james bond knows my fate. You're awake but are you woke?

Thats fine. Within these forums, I’ve seen everything from Biblical literalists to those whose interpretation is that all is allegory and fable. My opinion is that the Bible is the latter. A collection of allegory and fable, written by many authors over many decades and reflects a period in time when life was harsh and the ebb and flow of life was dictated by events and forces little understood at the time so various gods and demons, most of which were passed down from earlier times, were the causes of existence.

If what you say is what have happened, then those narrations are not fables.

Because you misunderstood the sound from a crack on earth caused by air flowing and you thought those were voices of souls buried underground, such is not a fable because the phenomenon itself (the sound) indeed has happened.

Forum List

Back