Does Leviticus 18:22 actually forbid homosexual sex?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Browsing the Wycliffe verison of the BIble on biblegatway.com and the 14th century text is curious:

20 Thou shalt not do lechery with thy neighbour’s wife, neither thou shalt be defouled with mixing [together] of seed. (Thou shalt not do fleshly coupling with thy neighbour’s wife, and so be defiled with her.)

21 Thou shalt not give of thy seed, that it be offered to the idol Moloch, neither thou shalt defoul the name of thy God; I am the Lord. (Thou shalt not give any of thy children to be offered to the false god Moloch, and so defile the name of thy God; I am the Lord.)

22 Thou shalt not be meddled, [(or) mingled,] with a man, by lechery of a woman, for it is abomination. (Thou shalt not be mixed together with a man, like in fleshly coupling with a woman, for it is an abomination.)

23 Thou shalt not do lechery with any beast, neither thou shalt be defouled with it. A woman shall not lie under a beast, neither shall be meddled, [(or) mingled,] therewith, that is, defouled by fleshly knowing thereof, for it is great sin. (Thou shalt not do lechery with any beast, nor shalt thou be defiled with it. A woman shall not lie under a beast, nor shall be mixed together with it, that is, be defiled by fleshly knowing of it, for it is a great sin.)

In v20 and v23, 'sex' is called lechery. So why not in 22 as well? What's 'meddled?' And why is a woman involved?

Wycliffe's wording is odd if so. Coulda refered to it as it did before and after via 'lechery' but used 'meddled' instead.

Looking up the etymology of meddled and lechery, meddled does indeed appear as a term for sex in the 14th century, as does lechery.

22 Thou shalt not be meddled, [(or) mingled,] with a man, by lechery of a woman, for it is abomination.

This sounds to me like it's forbidding a second man from joining in sex with another couple, whether with the man or the woman. That's something the ancient Jews would have observed other cultures doing and been repulsed by. Orgies et al. Or seeing the man on top on a woman and entering the man. Whether it's forbidding all male-male sex or just sex with another couple is an open-question though with this strange wording.

Are many ancient paintings showing a man with a woman and another man entering the first man. I wonder if that's what being forbidden more so than an exclusive male-male coupling.

Don't worry Delta, just because you take rod up the poop chute doesn't mean you're going to hell. :D

Don't worry Delta, just because you take rod up the poop chute doesn't mean you're going to hell. :D

At Delta's age, he'd better be taking the dominant position sexually... as only women, young males and girls are fit for the submissive role during anal intercourse, whether these be heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual sexcapades...

Alas, that is but my own personal opinion, reflecting my own sexual... outlook.

And to address the topic...

I do not care what the Bible supposedly "forbids."

If I wish to worship a god, I will do so in a way that I feel that this god wishes, by communing directly with that god. I do this either through forging a telepathic link to that god via prayer and attempting to understand that god, or by creating a Thoughtform in my mind and giving it life based on how I perceive that god's Nature to be, until I have either created my own god or managed to forge a link to an actual deity.

I do not need a book written by man to dictate my thinking and my behavior... although I may find it an invaluable source of inspiration and learning nonetheless.​

At Delta's age, he'd better be taking the dominant position sexually... as only women, young males and girls are fit for the submissive role during anal intercourse, whether these be heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual sexcapades...

Alas, that is but my own personal opinion, reflecting my own sexual... outlook.
So you like it when someone goes balls deep in your starfish?

Forum List

Back