Does protectionism work?

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014
Why Protectionism Doesn’t Pay

"
Why Protectionism Doesn’t Pay"

"Protectionists usually couch their claims in terms of saving particular industries from imports, as with shoes, lumber, and steel pipe. The facts show, however, that tariffs and quotas seldom save jobs for long or preserve the competitiveness of the industry to be “saved.” Meanwhile, of course, the consumer suffers through higher prices."

I don't believe that pure protectionism is beneficial for America. I also don't believe that President Trump is an advocate for protectionism. He is putting a spotlight on gross trade imbalances that have existed for decades particularly with China. That is not protectionism, it is having the guts to confront the issue in order to improve America's trade position.

It doesn't solve the problems of making work conditions and economy
sustainable just by manipulating the pricing and costs externally.

To protect the true value of labor, goods and services
requires addressing and fixing the real causes of waste or losses.

Artificial changes are like cosmetic fixes.
That only helps if you've also taken care of what's going on underneath.
After that, sure you can add more on,
but can't expect that to replace repairing real problems
in the actual production and work process
as needed to make things as efficient and competitive as possible..

I don't believe that pure protectionism is beneficial for America. I also don't believe that President Trump is an advocate for protectionism. He is putting a spotlight on gross trade imbalances that have existed for decades particularly with China. That is not protectionism, it is having the guts to confront the issue in order to improve America's trade position.

From what I understand, we get much more of our steel from Canada than China. Actually, providing the expert I heard discussing the matter actually knew what he was talking about, then China is a whopping no. 10 on our list of steel imports. We're really sticking it to China now boys!

"It's different when we do it"

The problem for me is that the US has been screwing other countries over for a long time, like in Latin America, then complain when other countries compete and do better than America.

Germany does better in things because it has the education system to produce workers who can make these things. The US doesn't. Then the US complains that it's unfair and then wants protectionism.

Surely actually trying to fix the problems that cause the imbalance in the first place might help.

But the US is still the richest country in the world, even with the trade imbalance. So....

The problem for me is that the US has been screwing other countries over for a long time, like in Latin America, then complain when other countries compete and do better than America.

Germany does better in things because it has the education system to produce workers who can make these things. The US doesn't. Then the US complains that it's unfair and then wants protectionism.

Surely actually trying to fix the problems that cause the imbalance in the first place might help.

But the US is still the richest country in the world, even with the trade imbalance. So....

What, exactly, is your fucking point?

The tariff suggestion is as bad as having Jeff Sessions as AT. Big fucking mistake. If anything, give incentives to hemp farmers to grow more stuff since the USA has some great farming areas. If the steel industry ever actually came back, only Mexican illegal aliens would be interested in working there. Remember the movie Rudy!

Last edited:
It doesn't solve the problems of making work conditions and economy
sustainable just by manipulating the pricing and costs externally.

To protect the true value of labor, goods and services
requires addressing and fixing the real causes of waste or losses.

Artificial changes are like cosmetic fixes.
That only helps if you've also taken care of what's going on underneath.
After that, sure you can add more on,
but can't expect that to replace repairing real problems
in the actual production and work process
as needed to make things as efficient and competitive as possible..

I am a firm believer in fair competition. The President seems likely to shut out manipulators. That is good.

Greg

Its always America's fault, is his point.

Never mind that if any other country in the world held the same amount of clout (alleged) that America does, they would not be having any kind of moral discussion on making sure that they came out on top.

Maybe if you read it, you'll figure it out.

We get it, dude; you don't like America and think whatever country you're from is better. That's fine. Maybe go to a message board with your country's name in the title and rant about it?

We get it, dude; you don't like America and think whatever country you're from is better. That's fine. Maybe go to a message board with your country's name in the title and rant about it?

I knew there was a reason you were on my ignore list.

I knew there was a reason you were on my ignore list.

Every single thread you do nothing but whine about how awful America is. I'm not exactly a frothing-at-the-mouth "patriot", as many would attest to, but it does get quite tiresome to listen to all the time.. Just ... quite tiresome, and unnecessary. I mean, why bother? You don't like the country. It's not going to magically change to your will. Might as well just mind your business and stay out of ours, no?

The bizarre world of the blind partisan right: free marketeers supporting Trump’s reckless, anti-free market protectionism for no other reason than their president is a Republican.

I'm not so sure how rich the US is with a debt rocketing toward 21 Trillion. I agree that the US has in some ways taken advantage of Latin American countries, but those countries still benefit economically in other ways. El Salvador for instance gets 1/5th of it's GDP from money shipped from the US by El Salvadorans living and working in the US.

I'm not so sure how rich the US is with a debt rocketing toward 21 Trillion. I agree that the US has in some ways taken advantage of Latin American countries, but those countries still benefit economically in other ways. El Salvador for instance gets 1/5th of it's GDP from money shipped from the US by El Salvadorans living and working in the US.

Haha, you think the debt actually matters. I mean, it will matter later, but no one in power cares about their descendants. Too busy taking advantage in the here and now!

Or, rather, they think they're rich enough to where, when shit hits the fan, THEIR descendants will be fine. Normal people will be fucked, but, meh ... who cares, amirite? They forget, of course, that poverty breeds hostility, chaos, and violence. Even for the rich. In some cases, especially for the rich ...

Like most labels we attach to things - and we all do it - "protectionism" exists on a continuum. So the question is not whether it's good or bad, it's when we've gone too far or not far enough. Unfortunately, we can only get limited clarity by looking to the past because the world economy has changed - both in terms of symbiosis and power structure.

Right now, I don't see how this new approach would work. Too many other countries have become more influential economically (for better or worse), and America can't throw its weight around like it used to without hurting itself. And it's just another band aid, and we just LOVE applying THOSE.

Bottom line, it depends on how this is applied in the end. But Trump really has stuck his (our) neck out here.

Forum List

Back