Does science trump philosophy?

Boss, call my radio show sunday night it starts at 6pm and we will see how smawwwt you are. We can talk your corny spirituality theory and i wont jump at your lack of self confidence in speaking.

Wow GT, ratings must be pretty sucky to have to be scrounging up "trolls" from the internet to be on your show. Howard Stern, you are not, I am guessing? In any event, a part of me is saying... Boss, you don't need to jump in the shark tank to prove you're smarter than GT, it has already been proven at USMB on a daily basis. But another part is saying... Yeah, this might be fun!

So I am torn. I don't have a problem with confidence in speaking, I've done radio work before, not a biggie to me. I also have no problem discussing Spiritual Nature and my beliefs. The problem is, I know how you are here... you get emotional and get your feelings hurt then you behave immaturely and want to shut down the conversation. I imagine you are the same when piloting a radio show.

Do you think you can win anything? Youre on auto loss for having a half naked man as an avatar and the user tag "boss."

Youre the epitome of an insecure and unconfident male. One espousing that he's "winning" something over internet conversations that noone could give a fuck about.

So instead of continuing to take L's on the internet all day, I assure you, go ahead and call and Ill give you the business.

Also you cant read emotions through text ya passive agressive doorknob. If you think youve ever made me emotional then youre even worse at conversation than staphanie, bud. So yea maybe better not call and embarrass yourself.

Did you say something about ratings? Are you daft.....or?

I dont work in the field of radio, its a hobby ya narc. I have an independent weekly show with 2 other hosts. Oye vey

Let me know Boss so that when I make the thread for my usmb listeners this weekend, I know to promote that you're calling or not.

Theres 3 other callers this week that Im aware of and we also have a lot of content to get through this week (prank calls, music, casual discussion, current events), but we have 2 hours live and then an hour long after show that isnt available live but becomes available when the episode comes up available on demand(immediately after).

Its essentially 3 hours. Listeners can call a line if they wish to keep hearing live after that second hour.

Last thing Ill say to the half naked gentleman...

Boss i dont take this website's conversations as seriously as you might think, or as you might.

Any disrespect youve given me anonymously on a corny messageboard doesnt carey over if we speak. I would never disrespect a gueat of my show. Thats uncouth.

Also I didnt spell carry wrong my phone did. Fuck you Samsung.

An answer at this website. What do you think?

Edward O. Wilson Science Not Philosophy Will Explain the Meaning of Existence Big Think

"Biologist Edward O. Wilson, a two-time Pulitzer Prize recipient and the author of the new book The Meaning of Human Existence, knew that it was vital that he define "meaning" early on in his book, lest he be attacked by a hornet's nest of philosophers. Thus, he identifies the meaning of meaning as:

What are we and why?

Where do we come from?

Where are we most likely to be headed?

Wilson believes those questions cannot be explained with religion for two reasons. First, because every religious faith has a different creation story that, almost categorically, is in competition with every other creation story. Second, because every religious faith is a product of human culture. To assume that human culture can explain meaning is to put a whole lot of trust in introspection, yet Wilson says we can't discover meaning just by thinking about it. The facts lie elsewhere."
ROFL what a load of hogwash.

Do you think you can win anything? Youre on auto loss for having a half naked man as an avatar and the user tag "boss."

Uhm.. yeah, I think I can win pretty much anything I think I can win.
Ah.. you noticed the 'half naked man' in my avi... that means it's working!
User tag is explained in my profile, Gran Turismo.
:rofl: ...auto loss... :rofl

Youre the epitome of an insecure and unconfident male. One espousing that he's "winning" something over internet conversations that noone could give a fuck about.

Ahh... so now that you've mentioned my 'half naked man' avi you're going to attack my confidence and security as a male? Sounds like the makings of a homophobic rant to me. As for my winning arguments with you on the Internet... I have mounted so many chunks of your ass on my wall that I no longer bother... they're worthless anyway... I had sillyboob call me the other day and wanted me to send him a mounted chunk of GT ass just so he'd have something to put on his wall... but otherwise, can't give 'em away.

So instead of continuing to take L's on the internet all day, I assure you, go ahead and call and Ill give you the business.

Also you cant read emotions through text ya passive agressive doorknob. If you think youve ever made me emotional then youre even worse at conversation than staphanie, bud. So yea maybe better not call and embarrass yourself.

Sure you can read emotions through text sometimes. Or at least, I can... but I have a psych degree.
I know that I make you emotional... you're getting emotional over me saying I make you get emotional. You're also a reactionary.

Did you say something about ratings? Are you daft.....or?

I dont work in the field of radio, its a hobby ya narc. I have an independent weekly show with 2 other hosts. Oye vey

Ohh... so this isn't an actual radio broadcast? What's it like a podcast or livestream thing?
Is there a link you can send me?

Yes. Thanks for the heads up.

Some people think anything older than yesterday has no value. I guess that would mean Isaac Newton, Galileo, Kepler, Socrates, DaVinci all are outdated and can be discarded. LOL

Again, for those who don't think Galileo or Newton were old-timey dunces, read The Golden Bough to understand how beliefs, superstitions, religions, rituals, etc...came about in the human race.

Some people think anything older than yesterday has no value. I guess that would mean Isaac Newton, Galileo, Kepler, Socrates, DaVinci all are outdated and can be discarded. LOL

Again, for those who don't think Galileo or Newton were old-timey dunces, read The Golden Bough to understand how beliefs, superstitions, religions, rituals, etc...came about in the human race.
"Blow hard" is a cogent description. S'all good. Sometimes we turn the lights on and then come the gnats. Sometimes its fun to gnat the gnats but mostly, its tedious.

"Blow hard" is a cogent description. S'all good. Sometimes we turn the lights on and then come the gnats. Sometimes its fun to gnat the gnats but mostly, its tedious.

For me it is tedious. I don't mind taking to someone that has a different take on something but as soon as the 'I dismiss any relevant information you provide from known scholars and scientists because I do, nyah'. Ok, have a nice day then, buh bye.

For me it is tedious. I don't mind taking to someone that has a different take on something but as soon as the 'I dismiss any relevant information you provide from known scholars and scientists because I do, nyah'. Ok, have a nice day then, buh bye.
I agree.

Here is what I liken it to.

People who write walls of text, and 75% of it is refutabe psychobabble.......

Do you go line by line in an exhausting fashion picking apart every.....single....dripping with derp lunatic line or piece of information?

Especially since its also addled with "extra" commentary exibiting hubris and pompousity....

Or do you just call them what they are, admittedly an ad hom - and let them point and say "see! Aha! Internets victory for meeeee! You cant refute what i say and are emotional!!"

I typically let them have their la la land, but i do tend to continue on engaging them when Im bored.

At the end of the day, my topical conversations dont happen via text anonymously on a messageboard. Not typically, anyhow. There's no fruit.

Now you are trying to equate a 19th century atheist anthropologist's philosophical opinion with SCIENCE.

I never said The Golden Bough should be discarded... first published in 1922, it IS outdated. Again... it's "required reading" for Comparative Religious Studies. Some of it is accurate, most of it is demeaning toward religion. It makes wild presumptions about the attribute of human spirituality, which is the primordial basis for many of the atheist arguments today. There is no scientific basis for much of what it proclaims as fact. It is a philosophy book and not a science book.

As for the scientists you spewed forth in your emote... every single one of them have had some aspect of their ideas and theories challenged and corrected by the very scientists they inspired. Science is not empirical or absolute. What science "believes" is true today has no bearing on what science may discover is true tomorrow. In any event, we do not advance science by clinging to late 19th century atheist philosophy and calling it science.

I agree.

Here is what I liken it to.

People who write walls of text, and 75% of it is refutabe psychobabble.......

Do you go line by line in an exhausting fashion picking apart every.....single....dripping with derp lunatic line or piece of information?

Especially since its also addled with "extra" commentary exibiting hubris and pompousity....

Or do you just call them what they are, admittedly an ad hom - and let them point and say "see! Aha! Internets victory for meeeee! You cant refute what i say and are emotional!!"

I typically let them have their la la land, but i do tend to continue on engaging them when Im bored.

At the end of the day, my topical conversations dont happen via text anonymously on a messageboard. Not typically, anyhow. There's no fruit.

"There's no fruit." Yes that is it. If someone is taking the discussion seriously I'll see what they have to say. Otherwise it just isn't worth my time and I agree, let them have their fantasy 'internet' mental sauve and discontinue engagement.

There are a decent number of people that can string together more than one sentence and use coherent thought.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
I suggest a reading of The Golden Bough. You'll know where all the 'beliefs' and rituals in the human race came from, including the current major religions.

Its a long read, not for the squeamish or lazy.

I have read it and most of it is speculative clap trap. It does not explain "all the beliefs and rituals in the human race or where they came from" because it was written at the turn of the 20th century. Since then, we have discovered all kinds of ancient civilizations where spirituality thrived. And we've had many things discovered about more recent religious rituals. The Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered in 1946.

Nice try, you haven't read it. Amazing how the human mind can reject fact because reality is just too scary.

You need your mental crutch, knock yourself out. You believe in magic and an invisible father that will protect you like when you were a child. And if you don't believe in him he will torture you in horrible pain for all of time...but he loves you.

LOL wtf kind of nightmarish sadomasochistic master/slave relationship is that.

Now git off'n that 'puter and git on yer knees.

images

I didn't see him mention any invisible father who will protect him. He's even suggested the opposite. So this makes you somewhat of a troll who only wants to provoke others...

I'd like to hear more of his 'spiritual' beliefs.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Forum List

Back