Does the Constitution prevent the President from being indicted for a criminal act?

but the party convicted (of impeachment) shall nevertheless be liable and subject to indictment, trial, judgment and punishment, according to law."

That means the party unconvicted is NOT.
No it doesn't. That's absurd.

No, it's not. Why should a president have to worry about the running of the country and showing up in court the next day at the same time? :cuckoo:

That definitely would hurt the interests of everyone.
Don't try to change the subject. You said something stupid and wrong.

A. The Constitution does NOT say a President can't be indicted. It just doesn't.

It describes how to remove a President who has NOT been indicted. That's all.

It's a Dept of Justice POLICY only...that says a President can not be indicted.

B. If a President can not be indicted he is above the law.

Should a blatantly corrupt President be impeached by the House and then BRIBE 34 Senators...he could not be indicted even for THAT.

And he could then PARDON those very Senators and possibly even himself

Is that where you folks are going?

A President above the law completely?

We should try not to elect criminal presidents, or traitor ones. I have pretty good faith that most Americans haven't, and wouldn't. If Congress can't get arrested, the president damn sure can't either.

I bet you missed the part where Congress can't get arrested. These people have a lot of power.

Last edited:
A. The Constitution does NOT say a President can't be indicted. It just doesn't.

Should a blatantly corrupt President be impeached by the House and then BRIBE 34 Senators...he could not be indicted even for THAT.

We should try not to elect criminal presidents, or traitor ones. I have pretty good faith that most Americans haven't, and wouldn't. If Congress can't get arrested, the president damn sure can't either.

I bet you missed the part where Congress can't get arrested. These people have a lot of power.
FYI- But that's only under these circumstances:

The Speech or Debate Clause is a clause in the United States Constitution (Article I, Section 6, Clause 1). The clause states that members of both Houses of Congress

...shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their attendance at the Session of their Respective Houses, and in going to and from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

The intended purpose is to prevent a President or other officials of the executive branch from having members arrested on a pretext to prevent them from voting a certain way or otherwise taking actions with which the President might disagree.

Just a word of caution to those who would want to see a sitting President indicted just because it’s Trump that precedent would not end with Trump so think carefully before going down that road.

Speaking for myself, it matters not if the criminal act is committed by a Republican or a Democrat - no man or woman is above the law.
then why isn't hitlery in jail? speaking out both sides again?

Because that slippery bitch is the greatest criminal mastermind ever!
My response is, no man is above the law. And no where in the Constitution is there any clause excusing criminal conduct being investigated and indictable.

You clowns are funny. The president can be impeached and removed from office at any time so DO IT. Grow a pair of balls you gutless cowardly hacks.

There has to be good cause to. Also a 2/3 Senate majority.

Nah, just lying about a blowjob is enough.

Of course you're right about the Senate. Which is why I can wait 20 months.

Speaking of lying, that tired canard about "just about a blowjob" becomes particularly laughable considering how much time and energy has been spent and continues to be spent on Stormy Daniels.

You must not have read what I wrote. I clearly said "just lying about a blowjob is enough." That's what we hear all the time. He committed perjury (because he lied about a hummer.).

Why bother with impeachment. when the Senate wouldn't convict Clinton then and I doubt the current Senate would ever convict Trump now.

Many of us remember how Ford lost the election in 1976, when many considered was the result of his pardon for Richard Nixon.

Members of the Senate ought to keep that in mind if and when the vote comes up if he is impeached by the H. or Rep.

Many of us remember how Ford lost the election in 1976, when many considered was the result of his pardon for Richard Nixon. Members of the Senate ought to keep that in mind if and when the vote comes up if he is impeached by the H. or Rep.

LOL you idiots on the left are in no position to threaten the President :auiqs.jpg: you can't even carry your own blue states :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

Speaking for myself, it matters not if the criminal act is committed by a Republican or a Democrat - no man or woman is above the law.

Because that slippery bitch is the greatest criminal mastermind ever!
You clowns are funny. The president can be impeached and removed from office at any time so DO IT. Grow a pair of balls you gutless cowardly hacks.

There has to be good cause to. Also a 2/3 Senate majority.

Nah, just lying about a blowjob is enough.

Of course you're right about the Senate. Which is why I can wait 20 months.

Speaking of lying, that tired canard about "just about a blowjob" becomes particularly laughable considering how much time and energy has been spent and continues to be spent on Stormy Daniels.

You must not have read what I wrote. I clearly said "just lying about a blowjob is enough." That's what we hear all the time. He committed perjury (because he lied about a hummer.).

Why bother with impeachment. when the Senate wouldn't convict Clinton then and I doubt the current Senate would ever convict Trump now.

Many of us remember how Ford lost the election in 1976, when many considered was the result of his pardon for Richard Nixon.

Members of the Senate ought to keep that in mind if and when the vote comes up if he is impeached by the H. or Rep.

:blahblah:

Just a word of caution to those who would want to see a sitting President indicted just because it’s Trump that precedent would not end with Trump so think carefully before going down that road.

No (and I must write, you're an idiot) because HRC was never indicted even though she has been investigated a number of times.

Just because Trump and Company yell in unison, "lock her up" we have laws in the United States, laws which supersede mobs chanting along with demagogues.

Many of us remember how Ford lost the election in 1976, when many considered was the result of his pardon for Richard Nixon. Members of the Senate ought to keep that in mind if and when the vote comes up if he is impeached by the H. or Rep.

LOL you idiots on the left are in no position to threaten the President :auiqs.jpg: you can't even carry your own blue states :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

Trump issues threats; Trump's critics point out his wrong doings. In fact, Cohen presented letters he had written at Trump's direction to threaten institutions of learning from releasing his academic and deportment records.

I wonder why? Don't you?

Actually yes, yes it does.

"Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor,
Trust, or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law."

A president would have to be successfully impeached before being indicted.

You have an Op-Ed, I have the actual Constitution.

Nothing there says a President cannot be indicted. But you don't care about reality, so I probably shouldn't be botherin.

Trump issues threats; Trump's critics point out his wrong doings. In fact, Cohen presented letters he had written at Trump's direction to threaten institutions of learning from releasing his academic and deportment records.

I wonder why? Don't you?

What are you going to do about it? Nothing that's what. Trump owns you. :itsok:

I wonder why? Don't you?

There's another infamous one where Rump threatened The Onion. Seriously.

f3k8iltwcctyctqbaakm.jpg

Larry Craig musta missed that part too huh. You know, the airport in Minneapolis?

Or were you trying to say the entire Congress as a body can't get arrested?

Larry Craig musta missed that part too huh. You know, the airport in Minneapolis?

Read dat dere Constitution, maybe it'll come to you.

Ironical post is ironical, since what Larry Craig was supposed to have been doing at the time of his arrest is sometimes called a "constitutional".

Take it away, Wiki.

>> On June 11, 2007, Craig was arrested for indecent behavior in a men's restroom at Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport; he pleaded guilty to a charge of disorderly conduct in August 2007 and paid less than $600 in court fines. <<

In other breaking news, the sun set in the west today and Maid Marion is still full of bovine intestinal product.

Ironical post is ironical, since what Larry Craig was supposed to have been doing at the time of his arrest is sometimes called a "constitutional".

Take it away, Wiki.

>> On June 11, 2007, Craig was arrested for indecent behavior in a men's restroom at Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport; he pleaded guilty to a charge of disorderly conduct in August 2007 and paid less than $600 in court fines. <<

In other breaking news, the sun set in the west today and Maid Marion is still full of bovine intestinal product.

Duly noted that you think of shit and The US Constitution and me in the same paragraph.

Take it away, Wiki.

Duly noted that you think of shit and The US Constitution and me in the same paragraph.

Whelp ---- as the singer Meatloaf put it, "two out of three ain't bad".

The reply to that is

Well we're stuck with him because we chose him?

That's supposed to make sense?

That's about as lame as you can get

Clintonistas with high hopes but no facts. A President cannot be indicted while in office. That's why a President can be impeached...to be removed from office, and then indicted.

Forum List

Back