Does the GOP wish Obama left the country the way Bush left it.

You really think out of the goodness of their hearts they will give every one a raise?

Not at all. That's why MW needs to be more realistic with future increases indexed to inflation.
It's a shame that is the case. In the past employees were a valued partner in the enterprise. Now they're seen simply as a cost to be cut when they become too costly.

It's not a "shame" that companies don't pay their employees higher than market wages, Kenneth. It's why their employees have jobs

Again professor, what market remains nearly flat for three decades? What market forces act on wages?

The US from 1929 until the 1950s for one. Again, repeating your lie that it's been "three decades" doesn't make it so. It started in the late 90s when the dot com bubble burst. That isn't "nearly three decades" it's a little over 1 and a half

Kaz its has been flat for 3 decades pretty much ever since imports caught up with exports.

I always thought that was the culprit

I see the overall charts. I sure found the 90s to be a boom decade. I made about four times in 2000 than I made in 1990, then again, I'm in the highly compensated realm. There sure was a lot of money out there though.

The idea that free trade caused it is ridiculous. The more government regulates and controls business, the more we blame ... the businesses. It's ridiculous. It's fear of free trade that is killing us, not free trade

because companies are investing so little, and what they do invest is largely overseas away from the malignant Federal government here

So, the result of the above is....?????

Right wingers FULLY supporting even more tax breaks to these errant companies, correct???

(BTW, name the huge US companies that are actually paying the stated "high" tax rate)

Again I'm a Republican. You're just flaming too much for me right now. Maybe some psychiatric help?
27 giant profitable companies paid no taxes

20% of big companies pay zero corporate taxes

The rest of them don't pay the full amount. They pay somewhere near zero and the full amount. I suspect it's much closer to zero, don't you?

That's such a load of crap. They are talking about one tax, not all taxes. Businesses pay a plethora of taxes. And the corporate tax is a double tax, it should be eliminated

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! Actually economists are the ones saying that, but I did repeat them so I'll accept that answer

Would you name these economists?

Look man, if you want to argue with what is being reported constantly on the business news as to the labor participation rate being low and why and people dropping out for the last decade, then I can work with that. If you want me to tell you what is being reported in the news, I'm not interested

So it's one of those "everybody knows" thingies?

Calculated Risk: Decline in the Labor Force Participation Rate: Mostly Demographics and Long Term Trends

For several years, I've been arguing that "most of the recent decline in the participation rate" was due to demographics and other long term structural trends (like more education).

Most of the recent research supports my view. As an example, from Federal Reserve researchers Stephanie Aaronson, Tomaz Cajner, Bruce Fallick, Felix Galbis-Reig, Christopher L. Smith, and William Wascher: Labor Force Participation: Recent Developments and Future Prospects

There's lot's more where that came from.......

You gonna stick with "it's all over CNS, FOXBusiness, and Breitbart"?

Wait you denounce my fed link in an argument and now you use the feds to support yours? WTF?

Btw more then that.

Obamas America...

The Vanishing Male Worker: How America Fell Behind

Many men, in particular, have decided that low-wage work will not improve their lives, in part because deep changes in American society have made it easier for them to live without working. These changes include the availability of federal disability benefits; the decline of marriage, which means fewer men provide for children; and the rise of the Internet, which has reduced the isolation of unemployment.

At the same time, it has become harder for men to find higher-paying jobs. Foreign competition and technological advances have eliminated many of the jobs in which high school graduates like Mr. Walsh once could earn $40 an hour, or more. The poll found that 85 percent of prime-age men without jobs do not have bachelor’s degrees. And 34 percent said they had criminal records, making it hard to find any work.

I quantified the effect, or lack thereof, of ACA on temporary employment.....

You linked to comments made by Chairperson Yellen.....

You have now linked to evidence of "structural unemployment"......the blame for which cannot be laid at any president's door...

Though I would point out that the net reduction of private sector payrolls between 2001 and 2009 played a larger role in the travails of these workers than the net increase in same from 2009 to the present....

So in your world of stupid logic, you think obama care didn't have any effect when they changed the work week from 40 hours to 30?

Is Less Than 30 Hours Part-Time Under ObamaCare? - Obamacare Facts

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
You could, COULD be correct on the above...and that is why (at least for me) republicans are usually better at fiscal oversight....
HOWEVER, how do you explain the absence of war costs and Medicare Advantage expenditures from GWB's budget.???

Have any evidence of that?

Did George W. Bush 'borrow' from Social Security to fund the war in Iraq and tax cuts?

That doesn't address the point......there is no dispute that Scrub failed to provide the means to pay for Medicare Part D and the War in Iraqnam...in fact, Iraqnam funding was outside the regular budget process which meant that the costs weren't reflected in the "reported deficit".....this changed in FY 2010....

Look man, if you want to argue with what is being reported constantly on the business news as to the labor participation rate being low and why and people dropping out for the last decade, then I can work with that. If you want me to tell you what is being reported in the news, I'm not interested

Calculated Risk: Decline in the Labor Force Participation Rate: Mostly Demographics and Long Term Trends

For several years, I've been arguing that "most of the recent decline in the participation rate" was due to demographics and other long term structural trends (like more education).

Most of the recent research supports my view. As an example, from Federal Reserve researchers Stephanie Aaronson, Tomaz Cajner, Bruce Fallick, Felix Galbis-Reig, Christopher L. Smith, and William Wascher: Labor Force Participation: Recent Developments and Future Prospects

Wait you denounce my fed link in an argument and now you use the feds to support yours? WTF?

Btw more then that.

Obamas America...

Many men, in particular, have decided that low-wage work will not improve their lives, in part because deep changes in American society have made it easier for them to live without working. These changes include the availability of federal disability benefits; the decline of marriage, which means fewer men provide for children; and the rise of the Internet, which has reduced the isolation of unemployment.

At the same time, it has become harder for men to find higher-paying jobs. Foreign competition and technological advances have eliminated many of the jobs in which high school graduates like Mr. Walsh once could earn $40 an hour, or more. The poll found that 85 percent of prime-age men without jobs do not have bachelor’s degrees. And 34 percent said they had criminal records, making it hard to find any work.

You have now linked to evidence of "structural unemployment"......the blame for which cannot be laid at any president's door...

Though I would point out that the net reduction of private sector payrolls between 2001 and 2009 played a larger role in the travails of these workers than the net increase in same from 2009 to the present....

So in your world of stupid logic, you think obama care didn't have any effect when they changed the work week from 40 hours to 30?

Who "changed the workweek"?

Not at all. That's why MW needs to be more realistic with future increases indexed to inflation.
It's a shame that is the case. In the past employees were a valued partner in the enterprise. Now they're seen simply as a cost to be cut when they become too costly.

It's not a "shame" that companies don't pay their employees higher than market wages, Kenneth. It's why their employees have jobs

Again professor, what market remains nearly flat for three decades? What market forces act on wages?

The US from 1929 until the 1950s for one. Again, repeating your lie that it's been "three decades" doesn't make it so. It started in the late 90s when the dot com bubble burst. That isn't "nearly three decades" it's a little over 1 and a half

Kaz its has been flat for 3 decades pretty much ever since imports caught up with exports.

I see the overall charts. I sure found the 90s to be a boom decade. I made about four times in 2000 than I made in 1990, then again, I'm in the highly compensated realm. There sure was a lot of money out there though.

The idea that free trade caused it is ridiculous. The more government regulates and controls business, the more we blame ... the businesses. It's ridiculous. It's fear of free trade that is killing us, not free trade

I was just talking the stagnant wages of the past 30 years and income inequality..

*Shrugs* the rest of the world finally caught up after WWII..the gravey train was over and now have to deal with reality..

Sure people made a lot of money with dot.com and in obamas time, with the feds..

But it wasn't main street.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! Actually economists are the ones saying that, but I did repeat them so I'll accept that answer

Btw more then that.

Obamas America...

I always like how when say the price of steel goes up, liberals at least kinda/sorta graspthat means the price of products containing steel goes up. But when taxes, like the ACA, go up, you're like whoa, a price increase? WTF? Why? The company is supposed to pay that?

Companies have to pay a risk adjusted rate of return. Taxes mean the company has to earn more, which means they have to raise prices. If they can sustain that, they go on but customers pay more. If they can't, they go under and everyone loses their job.

You have this stupid fixed pie view of the world. You think there is the same amount of money, we're just carving it up. And you don't like the size of your slice, so you run to politicians to make them divide it more "fairly," meaning you want more. But you shrink the size of the pie.

Financial salesmen like you never grasp that. Or much else. You're trained like a seal to sell financial products. They aren't actually teaching you about capital markets, they're giving you the scripted points to convince people to buy them.

You don't know any more than capital markets than a care salesman actually knows about the engineering of automobiles. They're just trained to sell cars.

Now here's a ball, balance it on your nose ...

Btw more then that.

Obamas America...

So now you want to play ignorant?

Btw more then that.

Obamas America...

Damn your dearth of knowledge is vast.

Companies only have to pay for Obamacare for employees who average over 30 hours a week. Many employers are limiting hours for many of their employees to 30 hours for that reason. How did you possibly not get that?

I was just talking the stagnant wages of the past 30 years and income inequality..

*Shrugs* the rest of the world finally caught up after WWII..the gravey train was over and now have to deal with reality..

Sure people made a lot of money with dot.com and in obamas time, with the feds..

But it wasn't main street.

What's sad is how easy it would be to get it back. Get government out of the way. It's not an accident that the more gets involved, the worse it gets

Btw more then that.

Obamas America...

Larry's not playing ...

Obamacare is a cost attached to Labor.........employment growth since the passage of ACA has been stronger than it was during any time between 2001 and 2009....

They fail to acknowledge that our numbers didn't start to really improve until after the cost of our fuel went down thanks to fracking which the Democrats fought (and are still fighting).

This is nonsense........Gas prices started falling at the end of 2014....

Fallacy of the single cause

Bray that mantra to the idiot arguing such "single causes".....

It ain't me...

It is you, donkey, "Obamacare is a cost attached to Labor.........employment growth since the passage of ACA has been stronger than it was during any time between 2001 and 2009...."

Textbook single cause fallacy. Jesus, it was in your quote. I know you're not reading other people's quotes, but you aren't even reading your own?

It was in response to THIS

Businesses like to plan well in advance before making any financial moves. You can't do that with uncertainties like Obama Care.

I was REFUTING Ray's "single cause" assertion......

One of us isn't reading........I, on the other hand, sport a magnificent conk....

Ray said "with uncertainties like Obama Care"

On the other hand, you said "employment growth since the passage of ACA has been stronger than it was during any time between 2001 and 2009"

Ray made clear Obamacare was ONE of the uncertainties facing business, you on the other hand said the ACA was the ONLY factor affecting job growth.

You're a fail, Larry

No...you remain a moron......I demonstrated that businesses did not manifest any reluctance to hire following the passage of ACA.....this is entirely different from asserting that "ACA was the ONLY factor affecting job growth"....

In fact, given the strength of private sector hiring since the start of the labor market recovery, one would be challenged to come up with ANY policy contributing to "uncertainty"......

Conservatives have long played a game of semantics as the above links can attest........

First, it is true that Obama has not deported as many illegals who work and cause no trouble and reside in major cities....HOWEVER, the wording of how many indulge in "border crossing" and how many of those ACTUALLY make it into our cities is complete bullshit.

Attempts to cross the border AND actually making it across and remaining in the states are TWO DIFFERENT ISSUES.

Btw more then that.

Obamas America...

Companies only have to pay for Obamacare for employees who average over 30 hours a week. Many employers are limiting hours for many of their employees to 30 hours for that reason. How did you possibly not get that?

I wonder if he is a greenbeard sock, or greenbeard was a sock of his.

I hated greenbeard, I swear he was paid by obama care, that handle was on 8 forums I knew about 24/7 posting obama care propaganda

Btw more then that.

Obamas America...

Larry's not playing ...

I can't help noticing the reluctance to lend "specificity" to reich wing imbecile mantras....

You're fucking deranged. That "pattern" of shrinking deficits began years before Republicans took control of the Congress and it ended when Clinton left office while Republicans still controlled Congress.

Try getting the right pair of reading glasses on this time and look at that chart again. The Republicans took over leadership of Congress in 1992.

Don't be a moron.....The GOP assumed leadership of Congress subsequent to the 1994 mid terms...they played NO role in the 1993 legislation which raised tax rates......

Fallacy of the single cause

It ain't me...

It is you, donkey, "Obamacare is a cost attached to Labor.........employment growth since the passage of ACA has been stronger than it was during any time between 2001 and 2009...."

Textbook single cause fallacy. Jesus, it was in your quote. I know you're not reading other people's quotes, but you aren't even reading your own?

Businesses like to plan well in advance before making any financial moves. You can't do that with uncertainties like Obama Care.

One of us isn't reading........I, on the other hand, sport a magnificent conk....

On the other hand, you said "employment growth since the passage of ACA has been stronger than it was during any time between 2001 and 2009"

Ray made clear Obamacare was ONE of the uncertainties facing business, you on the other hand said the ACA was the ONLY factor affecting job growth.

You're a fail, Larry

No...you remain a moron......I demonstrated that businesses did not manifest any reluctance to hire following the passage of ACA.....this is entirely different from asserting that "ACA was the ONLY factor affecting job growth"....

In fact, given the strength of private sector hiring since the start of the labor market recovery, one would be challenged to come up with ANY policy contributing to "uncertainty"......

No you moron the god Damn economy was going to come back...no matter what..fuck head..

Obama care slowed it down and made a fucking permanent problem with part time workers who want to work full time and get O.T.

God quit with the propaganda..

Republicans are the reason US employees become too costly. Repubtards keep adding payroll taxes to workers & cutting income & corp taxes for the wealthy. US workers are taxed out of a job. Tax cuts should only be given to workers & employers who hire US workers, not the ones who fire the tax burdened workers & ship jobs out.
So, you think that Businesses paying MORE taxes would help them afford employees, and you think that the influx of illegal but cheap labor across the boarder is the doing of Republicans? I never thought about it like that... because I don't typically abandon all logic in the pursuit of an irrational explanation. Last I checked, the recent taxes and increased expenses all came from our current president, who happens to be a Democrat.

There is currently no "influx" of "illegal but cheap labor across the boarder [sic]".....
Oh please, everyone is fully aware of the Mexicans boarder-hopping and being hired by businesses. The Obama Administration has been trying its hardest to allow illegals across and to allow them to stay.

Net immigration from Mexico has been negative since 2007.....
And that changes that it's still happening, how? It leveled off, but it's still happening. I guess Obama hasn't destroyed the economy enough to stop it~

Google "NET NEGATIVE".....get back to me...

Btw more then that.

Obamas America...

Please focus on your own idiocies......let bear handle his/hers...

That ACA defines full time as 30 hrs has nothing to do with how BLS defines it........this is something with which Breitbart nursing imbeciles have been struggling for years...

hence my question to Bear......

That doesn't address the point......there is no dispute that Scrub failed to provide the means to pay for Medicare Part D and the War in Iraqnam...in fact, Iraqnam funding was outside the regular budget process which meant that the costs weren't reflected in the "reported deficit".....this changed in FY 2010.

Thank you...You explained better than I did but, rest assured, that right wingers will STILL deny it.

It ain't me...

You're a fail, Larry

No you moron the god Damn economy was going to come back...no matter what..fuck head..

Obama care slowed it down and made a fucking permanent problem with part time workers who want to work full time and get O.T.

God quit with the propaganda..

let's forgo a discussion of the hypothetical and focus on what is measurable....

If the number of those who work part time for economic reasons HAS DECLINED since the passage of ACA, how can you blithely assert that ACA has created a "permanent problem with part time workers who want to work full time"?

Forum List

Back