Zone1 Does the Human Soul have Consciousness?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
It is my understanding that consciousness (awareness of one's singularity) is a basic human trait which allows for the concept of an individual soul, something that transcends physical life. However, as a matter of brain function, consciousness ceases after death. The question I have is does some sort of consciousness remain with the human soul? If not, how would we be aware of any continuity after death, and whether that constituted a reward or punishment for our earthly behavior?

It seems to me that, without some continuing consciousness, we would never know if we had a soul, much less have any recognition of where our souls might ultimately reside. Has anyone else considered this potential dilemma? If so, what are your thoughts?

Everyone is born with one.

But a lifetime of demonic behavior will drive out any and all morality, consciousness, and humanity.

Kind of explains why Marxists types seem to have no consciousness or care in the world about harming people.

It is my understanding that consciousness (awareness of one's singularity) is a basic human trait which allows for the concept of an individual soul, something that transcends physical life. However, as a matter of brain function, consciousness ceases after death. The question I have is does some sort of consciousness remain with the human soul? If not, how would we be aware of any continuity after death, and whether that constituted a reward or punishment for our earthly behavior?

It seems to me that, without some continuing consciousness, we would never know if we had a soul, much less have any recognition of where our souls might ultimately reside. Has anyone else considered this potential dilemma? If so, what are your thoughts?
What human soul?

Can you show me one?

Can you measure it?

Can you even detect it?

No?

It's not real.

concept: individual soul
There is no evidence for anything people refer to as a soul. Myself, I believe it does not exist in reality, only as a concept.

Mythology and such deal with concepts like something that transcends physical life.

Let me look up:
verb
verb: transcend; 3rd person present: transcends; past tense: transcended; past participle: transcended; gerund or present participle: transcending
  1. be or go beyond the range or limits of (something abstract, typically a conceptual field or division).

Brain cells produce electrical impulses that keep the body functioning. When it dies the body dies.
Our consciousnesses is stored in the soul and steps right out of the clay exterior when it expires, and never misses a beat. You will be who you are for eternity. Your memory, your relationships, your beliefs, your very essence is contained in your soul.

We are made in God's image. He and we, his children, are eternal beings. This is part one, and is merely basic training for what is in store.

What human soul?

Can you show me one?

Can you measure it?

Can you even detect it?

No?

It's not real.

concept: individual soul
There is no evidence for anything people refer to as a soul. Myself, I believe it does not exist in reality, only as a concept.

Mythology and such deal with concepts like something that transcends physical life.

Let me look up:
verb
verb: transcend; 3rd person present: transcends; past tense: transcended; past participle: transcended; gerund or present participle: transcending
  1. be or go beyond the range or limits of (something abstract, typically a conceptual field or division).

The soul is your mind / will / emotions / personality. So obviously souls exist.

What you disbelieve in is a soul that continues after death.

But to say there is no soul sounds ridiculous.

Does the Human Soul have Consciousness?​

That would depend on how you define consciousness. In essence, your soul IS your consciousness.

It is my understanding that consciousness (awareness of one's singularity) is a basic human trait
Consciousness and self-awareness are two different things. A blade of grass has a certain level of awareness, but is it conscious? No.

which allows for the concept of an individual soul, something that transcends physical life.
The soul is real, with or without the concept. Concepts are mere fabrications of the rational mind.

However, as a matter of brain function, consciousness ceases after death.
Bodily consciousness ceases to function, but consciousness moves on leaving the body. The body dies, but consciousness goes on.

The question I have is does some sort of consciousness remain with the human soul?
Yes.

how would we be aware of any continuity after death,
You aren't, because there is no continuity--- the soul transitions to a non-physical plane after it leaves the body. You would not be aware of these transitions because the part you call YOU, the ego, that which you call jwoodie dies with the body. The ego is a false identity.

and whether that constituted a reward or punishment for our earthly behavior?
You speak of karma. When the soul transitions to another plane, what you call sin or reward, the soul records progress or regress based on one's actions, but there is no contiguous self identity or ego to be aware of these transitions.

It seems to me that, without some continuing consciousness, we would never know if we had a soul, much less have any recognition of where our souls might ultimately reside.
You are confusing consciousness with ego identity. You can know you have a soul right now, while others will never know depending on their inner progress. But recognition of where the soul is? Again, you are assuming the soul retains an ego identity that carries from life to life when that ego identity changes. The ego is the body. The soul is an infinitesimal spark of God. The soul always sees because God always sees.

What human soul?

Can you show me one?

Can you measure it?

Can you even detect it?

No?

It's not real.

Speak for yourself.

It's the great mystery isn't it? We are all going to find out one day...

Remember Pascals Wager though, which goes something like this: "I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live as if there isn't and to die to find out that there is"

Last edited:
Everyone is born with one.

But a lifetime of demonic behavior will drive out any and all morality, consciousness, and humanity.

Kind of explains why Marxists types seem to have no consciousness or care in the world about harming people.
Not everyone is born with a soul

1723587732583.png

Two hundred years ago and earlier the religious made the human brain the soul. It ceases to exist with the rest of the dead body.

Forum List

Back