Dog puzzles

Has anyone bought a dog puzzle for your pet? Did your dog actually like it? How long did it take your dog to solve the puzzle?
Thanks Michelle.
I never bought Lexie a puzzle, reasonably smart dog (90 lb German Shepherd) and obeys commands, but I don't think she is a puzzle solver, other than come and getting one of us to let her out in the middle of the night, on occasion.

Thanks Michelle.
I never bought Lexie a puzzle, reasonably smart dog (90 lb German Shepherd) and obeys commands, but I don't think she is a puzzle solver, other than come and getting one of us to let her out in the middle of the night, on occasion.
The dog we are fostering is a cattle dog blue heeler. He is younger and seems to have endless energy. I thought it might occupy him but maybe it's just a gimmick.

The dog we are fostering is a cattle dog blue heeler. He is younger and seems to have endless energy. I thought it might occupy him but maybe it's just a gimmick.
I have heard they are like super smart. My son says his is.

My dog (German Sheppard) was trained as a perimeter guard dog with the Dept. of the navy but he was never put into duty due to a broken leg... I adopted him... I have purchased several puzzles from Chewy for him... he just kind of eats them... he has lost his guard dog training and now he is ruled over by my blind cat Charley.... lol

My dog (German Sheppard) was trained as a perimeter guard dog with the Dept. of the navy but he was never put into duty due to a broken leg... I adopted him... I have purchased several puzzles from Chewy for him... he just kind of eats them... he has lost his guard dog training and now he is ruled over by my blind cat Charley.... lol
That is sad. Great dogs for you to get and undoubtedly smart. He should at least remember and respond to the basics of his training. As for the cat thing, Our Siamese, which has ripped or bitten everybody in the family ( and we warn strangers not to approach the cat and if it speaks, back off) has reached truce with Lexie, as they have both put the hurt on the other, and Lexie has proven she can win, but knows better than to badly hurt the cat, though the cat has been stupid enough to hang on with all four while biting the crap out of the dog, causing Lex to beat the cat against a door frame until addled and the hold the cat down by the neck growling until we came. Good thing I was home. She would not take the release command from Pam for some reason, but did release on command from me. She didn't hurt the cat, but had no intention of letting go with her teeth wrapped around and squeezing the cat against the hardwood.

That's so cute about the cat. So he solves the puzzles? I can't leave this by alone for too long he chews things up. He was in a rough-looking pound. We looked at a few pounds and one was like a version of county jail for dogs and the other was like the state penitentiary. Anyway, we are going to adopt him but I have to leave town for a couple of weeks as my Uncle died and my Aunt needs help. So I want something he can entertain himself until my boyfriend is home from work.

That is sad. Great dogs for you to get and undoubtedly smart. He should at least remember and respond to the basics of his training. As for the cat thing, Our Siamese, which has ripped or bitten everybody in the family ( and we warn strangers not to approach the cat and if it speaks, back off) has reached truce with Lexie, as they have both put the hurt on the other, and Lexie has proven she can win, but knows better than to badly hurt the cat, though the cat has been stupid enough to hang on with all four while biting the crap out of the dog, causing Lex to beat the cat against a door frame until addled and the hold the cat down by the neck growling until we came. Good thing I was home. She would not take the release command from Pam for some reason, but did release on command from me. She didn't hurt the cat, but had no intention of letting go with her teeth wrapped around and squeezing the cat against the hardwood.
That's a tough situation.

That's a tough situation.
Not so tough. Lexie seems impervious to most pain. She came out of that squabble bleeding pretty good from both sides of her nose and had several holes in lip, having to get antibiotics and steroids, but she apparently got her message to the cat, so the cat will not walk near the dog and the dog walk around the cat, and it's been that way for years. The cat likes the front bedroom for sleeping, but if Lexies has already laid down for the night outside our bedroom across the hall from that bedroom, the cat bunks in the den. After we go to bed, nothing comes down that hall. Grand daughters use that front bedroom when they sleep over and go to bed early. When they go, Lex gets up, follows and lays in front that door. Really a sweet dog and both girls when babies would cuddle up and sleep on the carpet next to her, so they are imprinted on her. We had a "let sleeping babies lie" rule and sometimes Lexie would let out a low growl when we even one of us picked up one up. Inside, outside or walking down the street, she allows no strangers or other people's dog anywhere near them, especially the younger granddaughter, and gets out front about six feet, hackles come up, she lowers her stance ready to spring and bears teeth and growls her warning.

Not so tough. Lexie seems impervious to most pain. She came out of that squabble bleeding pretty good from both sides of her nose and had several holes in lip, having to get antibiotics and steroids, but she apparently got her message to the cat, so the cat will not walk near the dog and the dog walk around the cat, and it's been that way for years. The cat likes the front bedroom for sleeping, but if Lexies has already laid down for the night outside our bedroom across the hall from that bedroom, the cat bunks in the den. After we go to bed, nothing comes down that hall. Grand daughters use that front bedroom when they sleep over and go to bed early. When they go, Lex gets up, follows and lays in front that door. Really a sweet dog and both girls when babies would cuddle up and sleep on the carpet next to her, so they are imprinted on her. We had a "let sleeping babies lie" rule and sometimes Lexie would let out a low growl when we even one of us picked up one up. Inside, outside or walking down the street, she allows no strangers or other people's dog anywhere near them, especially the younger granddaughter, and gets out front about six feet, hackles come up, she lowers her stance ready to spring and bears teeth and growls her warning.
I like how protective she is of your grand kids. It's wonderful! It's good they worked it out and just agree to stay out of each other's way.

I like how protective she is of your grand kids. It's wonderful! It's good they worked it out and just agree to stay out of each other's way.
Protective can be a pain in the butt, though. Lexie loves swimming in oceans, lakes or rivers if we are, and will come out as far as we go, but hates our pool. We've never known why, but when the girls were learning to swim, it worried Lexie to death, and she has jumped in and drug or push both granddaughters back to the edge, when they were in the deep end. We had to start making her go in the house. She doesn't do it anymore, but to this day, (doing it even today) she still follows them around the side, kind of whining and looking nervous as hell.

Protective can be a pain in the butt, though. Lexie loves swimming in oceans, lakes or rivers if we are, and will come out as far as we go, but hates our pool. We've never known why, but when the girls were learning to swim, it worried Lexie to death, and she has jumped in and drug or push both granddaughters back to the edge, when they were in the deep end. We had to start making her go in the house. She doesn't do it anymore, but to this day, (doing it even today) she still follows them around the side, kind of whining and looking nervous as hell.
She is totally part of the family :)

She is totally part of the family :)
Oh, yes. Lexie would do like Rambunctious's Shepherd. She would eat the puzzle. She destoys several Kong Toys a year. Heck, when she was between 6 and 9 months old, she ripped the downspout out of the brick wall and was very proud of herself. She used to sleep in her crate in the house and like it there at that age. We started letting her stay in the kitchen behind the metal bar swinging gate, but came home one day and found she had dug up about a 10 ft square of the kitchen floor, clean into the subfloor for no particular reason. That was a $1000 Plus lesson not to leave the crate door open when gone. :eek: She is now the refined version.
Be advised, my son made the same mistake with his Blue Healer. Woobie, had a blast, eating his $700 sofa.:auiqs.jpg:

Oh, yes. Lexie would do like Rambunctious's Shepherd. She would eat the puzzle. She destoys several Kong Toys a year. Heck, when she was between 6 and 9 months old, she ripped the downspout out of the brick wall and was very proud of herself. She used to sleep in her crate in the house and like it there at that age. We started letting her stay in the kitchen behind the metal bar swinging gate, but came home one day and found she had dug up about a 10 ft square of the kitchen floor, clean into the subfloor for no particular reason. That was a $1000 Plus lesson not to leave the crate door open when gone. :eek: She is now the refined version.
Be advised, my son made the same mistake with his Blue Healer. Woobie, had a blast, eating his $700 sofa.:auiqs.jpg:
We have an indoor crate and an outdoor pen in the backyard. I just want to give him toys as well. He is used to me throwing the ball every day for hours. But yes when I left him in the nook he shredded a lot of things. We have an indoor camera and could see what he did and when he did it. LOL

We have an indoor crate and an outdoor pen in the backyard. I just want to give him toys as well. He is used to me throwing the ball every day for hours. But yes when I left him in the nook he shredded a lot of things. We have an indoor camera and could see what he did and when he did it. LOL
Kevin's dog is 3 years old now, and has calmed down considerably, but he raised him from a pup. But if breaking in a shelter dog, be weary of what he might do for amusement.;)

The two breeds of dogs that are tops in intelligence is the Border Collie, the most intelligent breed there is and the Poodle. I did get my Diva Dog Poodle a puzzle. She complained "I thought you were getting me a puzzle toy." She solved it in less than a minute.

A client of mine trained dogs for the blind. They got a German Shepard puppy to train. She could not be trained. She would follow simple commands but had a compulsion to tidy up. She put things away. Nothing could be left lying around or she would put it someplace. Following necessary commands from someone disabled simply didn't work. She would be immediately distracted by something out of place. But she could be trained where to put things. While she was useless as a dog for the disabled she was sold to a preschool.

Since I became aware of this dog I have learned that tidying is a characteristic that affects German Shepherds.

The two breeds of dogs that are tops in intelligence is the Border Collie, the most intelligent breed there is and the Poodle. I did get my Diva Dog Poodle a puzzle. She complained "I thought you were getting me a puzzle toy." She solved it in less than a minute.

A client of mine trained dogs for the blind. They got a German Shepard puppy to train. She could not be trained. She would follow simple commands but had a compulsion to tidy up. She put things away. Nothing could be left lying around or she would put it someplace. Following necessary commands from someone disabled simply didn't work. She would be immediately distracted by something out of place. But she could be trained where to put things. While she was useless as a dog for the disabled she was sold to a preschool.

Since I became aware of this dog I have learned that tidying is a characteristic that affects German Shepherds.
Very interesting.

Forum List

Back