The hard day at the end.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Today my son has the hardest job dog owners face. He has to help his old dog crossover. He and his wife also have the additional pain of explaining it to their 7 year old boy and 3 year old girl. Both of whom adored Cassie.

Some thoughts on losing a beloved pet:

We love our pets. And when we lose them it is one of the most heart breaking, gut wrenching experiences of our life. And yet, we go out and get another, knowing full well how it will end.

Losing a dog is one of the few times it is socially acceptable for a grown man to bawl like a baby.

For most of us, this is our first brush with death and the loss of a loved one.

It is some of the greatest pain we feel, and yet we do it all over again. I have had dogs all my life. And I have cherished each one. I can also remember the moment I lost them.

If you have a dog, give them an extra treat and hug them tight. They share and teach us so much.

Pets are part of the family.
Above that, they love you to death.

I found losing my dogs was a preferable death to when my father died. With my dogs, you hug them, kiss them and then say good bye
Humans are forced to linger till they finally pass

I found losing my dogs was a preferable death to when my father died. With my dogs, you hug them, kiss them and then say good bye

It is sad that we are able to help our pets when they are suffering at the end of their life. But we cannot do the same for our human family.

Today my son has the hardest job dog owners face. He has to help his old dog crossover. He and his wife also have the additional pain of explaining it to their 7 year old boy and 3 year old girl. Both of whom adored Cassie.

We love our pets. And when we lose them it is one of the most heart breaking, gut wrenching experiences of our life. And yet, we go out and get another, knowing full well how it will end.

Losing a dog is one of the few times it is socially acceptable for a grown man to bawl like a baby.

It is some of the greatest pain we feel, and yet we do it all over again. I have had dogs all my life. And I have cherished each one. I can also remember the moment I lost them.

If you have a dog, give them an extra treat and hug them tight. They share and teach us so much.

People should always be prepared for the passing of a pet animal. I never had the urge to replace a companion dog that went most everywhere with me. May as well adopt a brother, sister, mother, father when they pass on. Reality bites. Death is a given.

I stayed with the pup as he was injected with the stuff that would take him out. It's what I owed him.

The reason we do it all over again, and I have had to help three very-loved cats cross over when all that awaited them otherwise was a few days (at most) of suffering, is because….

THE JOY OF HAVING A PET IS STRONGER THAN THE PAIN OF LOSING HIM (or her).

I am sorry for your family’s loss.

I was well know for how close me and my pet pup were, but I never anthropomorphized his actions. I doubt what they express is love. We feed them. We do most everything for them. They were bred long ago to expect it. Great companions pups are. But love? I never bought that. My pup cuddled and played with a friend's pup. We had sleep overs (I'd take the other in when he'd show up at my place after escaping his property). I don't believe the pups loved each other. Not sure what to call it -- maybe another form of love. But not what most people believe.

I was well know for how close me and my pet pup were, but I never anthropomorphized his actions. I doubt what they express is love. We feed them. We do most everything for them. They were bred long ago to expect it. Great companions pups are. But love? I never bought that. My pup cuddled and played with a friend's pup. We had sleep overs (I'd take the other in when he'd show up at my place after escaping his property). I don't believe the pups loved each other. Not sure what to call it -- maybe another form of love. But not what most people believe.
I couldn’t disagree more

It is sad that we are able to help our pets when they are suffering at the end of their life. But we cannot do the same for our human family.
I lost a brother before I lost my pup. I so wanted to 'pull the plug' on him (the proverbial plug). I was there as a friend took her last breath. Her husband and his daughter were nearby. I saw her last a while with hospice care, and later palliative care that eased her suffering.

But make no mistake about it -- we give the dying drugs. Why? To ease the pain they are going through.

and It goes without saying, I identify with your feelings of the loss of a faithful, family companion.

I have seen dogs grieve themselves to death after the death of their owner.
I have seen dogs provide comfort to their human in ways the show their love.
Dogs have given their lives to protect their owners.

Yes, they express love.

I couldn’t disagree more
I believe you. I consider myself far too pragmatic and realistic to fantasize, and romanticize nature.

I used to play a agme with people who knew me and my pup. My pup was considered seriously smart. I'd modulate my voice and mention his name -- telling him I would put him down when the time came. He'd wag his tail, his body quivering, looking at me with those eyes' everyone adored. My friends would first be horrified, then knowing how I was, they'd get it.

Pets have no idea what people are saying to them.

It reminds me of a blind friend who claimed his hearing was exceptional because losing his sight made the other sense more powerful. I played a few games with mutual sighted friends in attendance. Letting him and a few other blind friends in on it later, we all laughed -- but not at first.

I was close to people, because they knew I was genuine.

When he was starting to fail, my own younger brother called me up and asked me about the prognosis of his cancer. He knew me. He knew I was recovering from a death sentence at the time. I was brutally honest with him? Why? Because knowing me, people know what to expect -- a genuine reply with brutal honesty

Yes, they express love.

We don't know what they -- pets, were thinking or feeling. I was comforted by my pup when I was on the brink of passing away. But I doubt very much he knew I was close to dying (fentanyl back in early 2000s - yes It was around ling before the recent hysteria). Dogs do what is instinctual. They have been bred for particular traits. Love?

People have no clue what live really is or isn't, so...

ex: parents who have loved their children have also murdered them. Some send their beloved children into harms way -- say in wars, praising the warrior culture if death.

"Don't you remember, Ma, when I went off to war
You thought it was the best thing I could do?
I was on the battleground, you were home acting proud
You wasn't there standing in my shoes"
"Well, and I thought when I was there, Lord, what am I doing here?
I'm tryin' to kill somebody or die tryin'
But the thing that scared me most was when my enemy came close
I could see that his face looked just like mine"
"And I couldn't help to think, through the thunder rolling and stink
That I was just a puppet in a play
And through the roar and smoke, this string it finally broke
And a cannonball blew my eyes away"
As he turned away to go, his Ma was acting slow
Seein' the metal brace that helped him stand
But as he turned to leave, he called his mother close
And he dropped his medals down into her hand

I share this every time someone mentions they've lost their beloved companion:

I have no idea if it has ever helped anyone in their grieving, save myself, but the truth of it cannot be denied...

I share this every time someone mentions they've lost their beloved companion:

I have no idea if it has ever helped anyone in their grieving, save myself, but the truth of it cannot be denied...

It helped.

It made me cry, again. But considering the day, that works too.

Yes, they express love.
Recently old Speck got cancer. After trying some treatment it was clear it was a fruitless waste of money. Speck was released from his suffering. The other cat, Michelle, grieved terribly. She spent hours with her arms wrapped around Speck's scratching post. Nothing helped. She quit eating and drinking. Her liver failed. Ten days after Speck, Michelle joined him.

Animals have deep feelings. Profound feelings.

Very sad indeed. I lost my 9yr old Jack Russell girl late last year. I have a 10 yr JR boy and two baby JR's, 10 months and 8 months.

Dogs are better than humans and I would rather live in the middle of nowhere taking my dogs for walks. I told my two sons, "Everyone will let you down", and they're witnessing this. The eldest bought a dog and the youngest wants one too when he gets his own place. They know a dog is a loyal friend and people are sadly assholes.

Forum List

Back