Dogs as emotional support animals?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I've seen documentaries where soldiers who come back from war are treated effectively for PTSD with an emotional dog. This is far superior in my opinion (if it works) rather than relying on pharmaceuticals.

Are there more people in general society who have pets for this reason, knowingly or not?

:tongue:

1724536697346.png

When my friend died my dog sensed something was amiss... he wouldn't leave my side all day... If I sat in a chair he would lean onto my legs... if I went to the deck he was right there beside me... if I was working on my truck there he was... that went on for at least 5 days... Then he went back to normal where I saw him when he was hungry.... lol

I've seen documentaries where soldiers who come back from war are treated effectively for PTSD with an emotional dog. This is far superior in my opinion (if it works) rather than relying on pharmaceuticals.

Are there more people in general society who have pets for this reason, knowingly or not?
pets, plus "pharmaceuticals" (i self medicated with cannabis. it helps) are both good. not everyone gets the unconditional love of family and friends required to reassimilate. that is not always the fault of said "family and friends,"

the very best combinations are reuniting a veteran with a retired k9, preferably former partners.

pets, plus "pharmaceuticals" (i self medicated with cannabis. it helps) are both good. not everyone gets the unconditional love of family and friends required to reassimilate. that is not always the fault of said "family and friends,"

the very best combinations are reuniting a veteran with a retired k9, preferably former partners.

It's taken a couple of months but I've come to the conclusion that yes, my dog was my close friend, I rescued him at 4 weeks old and he placed his life in my hands. He may also have been my emotional support without me knowing. He gave me purpose which is lost since my wife and I parted. He was definitely critical for me when our separation first occurred.

It goes beyond that though. Humans are deeply flawed. For someone like myself who deems courage and loyalty so high on the human hierarchy, ironically dogs are ideal to have around as they so closely represent these two core characteristics. If you're having a bad day or have to run errands, you feel so much better when you walk through the door and your dog is whining excitedly and wagging his tail, so happy that you are home.

It's taken a couple of months but I've come to the conclusion that yes, my dog was my close friend, I rescued him at 4 weeks old and he placed his life in my hands. He may also have been my emotional support without me knowing. He gave me purpose which is lost since my wife and I parted. He was definitely critical for me when our separation first occurred.

It goes beyond that though. Humans are deeply flawed. For someone like myself who deems courage and loyalty so high on the human hierarchy, ironically dogs are ideal to have around as they so closely represent these two core characteristics. If you're having a bad day or have to run errands, you feel so much better when you walk through the door and your dog is whining excitedly and wagging his tail, so happy that you are home.
i am currently, and sadly , dogless.

but yes. best friend. absolutely loyal.

Forum List

Back