DOJ Fines Denver Sheriff Dept For Only Hiring U.S. Citizens for Deputy Positions

Like I said further up the thread............the US Military has taken in foreign nationals as enlistees and allowed them to serve. Matter of fact, there was a PN2 who was stationed with me here in Amarillo who was a foreign citizen with a green card when he showed up and a year before I retired, he got his full citizenship. He was originally a teacher from Mexico City.

If they are here legally, then the sheriff's department shouldn't discriminate against them. They are here legally.

"The Justice Department reached a settlement this week with the Denver Sheriff Department, after they allegedly discriminated against work-authorized immigrants by only considering the applications of U.S. citizens.
“The Denver Sheriff Department discriminated based on citizenship status by requiring applicants for deputy sheriff positions to be U.S. citizens and publishing job postings with U.S. citizenship requirements, in violation of the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act),”
a statement from the DOJ reads. INA prohibits employers from limiting jobs to U.S. citizens (except where they are required to do so by law)."

Looks pretty straight forward to me.

Absolutely. This is a straight forward attempt by the Federal government to exceed it's authority which is what you get when you have a racist president and AG. A Sheriff is an elected local government official: not federal. His hiring practices are dictated by local government and his own discretion;;again not federal. The Civil Rights Act applies in matters of race. Non-citizens are not a race.
It is a crime to hire an illegal alien.
Illegal aliens are criminals by definition. Hiring one is a criminal act. Hiring a criminal to enforce the law is idiotic
Requiring their hiring is obviously unConstitutional.
This should get tied up in the courts until we get a sane federal administration.

OK, go tie it all up in the courts then. I mean it's not like we're really a nation of law and we all follow the law. It's just a game anyway, by all means, play the game.

Hey, it's a done deal now. He decided not to fight it. I imagine he decided not to fight it because it was easier to pay a settlement than the time, expense, trouble and expense needed for a drawn out court fight. His call and he made it. I just hate federal over reach and exceeding it's authority. What I hate the most is his having to agree to consider illegal aliens for deputy sheriff positions in the future. A requirement for illegal actions? Yep, way past time to drain the swamp.

Can't drain a swamp with a slogan and recycled swamp rats.

v What I hate the most is his having to agree to consider illegal aliens for deputy sheriff positions in the future. A requirement for illegal actions? Yep, way past time to drain the swamp.

For the love of Ted.

What part of - this case has nothing to do with hiring illegal aliens is not clear? It's already illegal to hire illegal aliens under federal law.

This case was about the Sheriffs office discriminating against legal aliens, those who are hear legally in the country. Legal immigrants and green card holders.

:rolleyes:

>>>>
Really?

Beyond just the fine, the sheriff’s department must also review applicants who were disqualified because they came here illegally. They are to be considered for future openings if they meet other criteria.

I think this is all about a push by the AG to hire illegal aliens.
The Sheriff as part of local government has a right to use whatever criteria he likes except as limited by the Civil Rights Act.

v What I hate the most is his having to agree to consider illegal aliens for deputy sheriff positions in the future. A requirement for illegal actions? Yep, way past time to drain the swamp.
For the love of Ted.

What part of - this case has nothing to do with hiring illegal aliens is not clear? It's already illegal to hire illegal aliens under federal law.

This case was about the Sheriffs office discriminating against legal aliens, those who are hear legally in the country. Legal immigrants and green card holders.

>>>>
Really?

Beyond just the fine, the sheriff’s department must also review applicants who were disqualified because they came here illegally. They are to be considered for future openings if they meet other criteria.

The Sheriff as part of local government has a right to use whatever criteria he likes except as limited by the Civil Rights Act.

If the bolded is from a quote, it's not from the settlement agreement.

As a matter of fact, no where in the agreement is the Sheriff required to review applicants where disqualified because they came here illegally. They have to review the applicants that were discriminated based on not being a citizen, but that does not mean the applicant was here illegally.

Also as a matter of fact the Sheriff's Department is required under the agreement ensure that all managers, Human Resource personnel, and anyone involved with the hiring chain understands Department of Homeland Security, USCIS, I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form and/or the usage of the USCIS E-Verify System to ensure that workers hired are eligible to work in the United States. Using such system are used to exclude the hiring of illegals.

>>>>

This is insane but just what you'd expect from america-hating obama.

DOJ Fines Denver Sheriff Dept For Only Hiring U.S. Citizens for Deputy Positions

nov 22 2016 The Justice Department reached a settlement this week with the Denver Sheriff Department, after they allegedly discriminated against work-authorized immigrants by only considering the applications of U.S. citizens.

“The Denver Sheriff Department discriminated based on citizenship status by requiring applicants for deputy sheriff positions to be U.S. citizens and publishing job postings with U.S. citizenship requirements, in violation of the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act),” a statement from the DOJ reads. INA prohibits employers from limiting jobs to U.S. citizens (except where they are required to do so by law).

The Sheriff Department will pay $10,000 in civil penalties. They will also have to go through their old applications and identify those who may have been disqualified due to the citizenship requirement. In addition, they are required to train human resources on the anti-discrimination provision of the INA.
Democrats don't get it. This is the reason why they lose and lost this past election. Keep it up you dumb fucks.

"If the bolded is from a quote, it's not from the settlement agreement."

Cut & paste quote as in #53:

D.O.J Fines Sheriff Department For Refusal To Hire Non-Citizens (Video)

The actual agreement (which I posted) trumps Joe the Plumbers website. Bet you didn't even watch the video at your own link where even Fox reported that it applied to legal residents not illegal aliens.

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

>>>>

"If the bolded is from a quote, it's not from the settlement agreement."

Cut & paste quote as in #53:

D.O.J Fines Sheriff Department For Refusal To Hire Non-Citizens (Video)

The actual agreement (which I posted) trumps Joe the Plumbers website. Bet you didn't even watch the video at your own link where even Fox reported that it applied to legal residents not illegal aliens.

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

>>>>

If you posted the actual agreement I must have missed it; I have tried to follow all links. And yes I watched my own video.
And yes I am aware that the language doesn't specifically require that illegal aliens be hired and so does not break the law in that respect but this action itself is an unlawful harassment of a local official whose hiring criteria were entirely lawful. And why require:..."must also review applicants who were disqualified because they came here illegally. They are to be considered for future openings..." if there is no implication that further harassment will be forthcoming if they are not hired.
Hire people with a known criminal history for law enforcement?

If you posted the actual agreement I must have missed it;

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/912421/download

I have tried to follow all links. And yes I watched my own video.
And yes I am aware that the language doesn't specifically require that illegal aliens be hired and so does not break the law in that respect but this action itself is an unlawful harassment of a local official whose hiring criteria were entirely lawful. And why require:..."must also review applicants who were disqualified because they came here illegally. They are to be considered for future openings..." if there is no implication that further harassment will be forthcoming if they are not hired.

The Sheriff Department discriminating against legal non-citizens is not "entirely lawful".

If it is, please show us the Federal, State or Local law which provides such authority to the Sheriff. I provided links in Post #54 to Denver Municipal laws and to the Code of Colorado to ease your search. The Sheriff making an arbitrary decision in violation of Federal law is not "entirely lawful".

No one has said a word about hiring individuals with a known criminal history. This case was about discrimination against people that came here legally and are legal resident aliens.

Even if they are legal resident aliens and have a criminal history for some non-related offense they can be excluded from hiring since it isn't based purely on their legal resident status.

>>>>

For the love of Ted.

>>>>
Really?

They may have to review them but according to Colorado law, they can not hire them unless the applicants have official documentation (Form I-9) from the Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services showing that they have permission to live and work in the US. They must also pass background tests.

How to Become a Police Officer in Colorado

If you posted the actual agreement I must have missed it;

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/912421/download

I have tried to follow all links. And yes I watched my own video.

The Sheriff Department discriminating against legal non-citizens is not "entirely lawful".

If it is, please show us the Federal, State or Local law which provides such authority to the Sheriff. I provided links in Post #54 to Denver Municipal laws and to the Code of Colorado to ease your search. The Sheriff making an arbitrary decision in violation of Federal law is not "entirely lawful".

No one has said a word about hiring individuals with a known criminal history. This case was about discrimination against people that came here legally and are legal resident aliens.

Even if they are legal resident aliens and have a criminal history for some non-related offense they can be excluded from hiring since it isn't based purely on their legal resident status.

>>>>

I provided links in Post #54 to Denver Municipal laws and to the Code of Colorado to ease your search.

Yes you did
and yes I followed the links and no, I didn't find anything there that relates to the topic at hand.If you think there is something there point it out. A person who enters the country illegally is a criminal. Even if he becomes a citizen he has committed a crime and has a criminal history. So why is the Federal Government demanding that people with (at least ) a criminal history be considered for a position in law enforcement?

Colorado Sheriff Deputy Requirements
Colorado is divided into 64 counties, each with an elected sheriff. The process for becoming a sheriff duty is fairly similar to the requirements to become a Colorado police officer. In addition to meeting the general set age and nationality requirements, certain prerequisites like education and testing may differ from county to county.

Denver
The Denver Sheriff’s Department is the largest sheriff’s department agency in the state of Colorado and relies on 1,525 full-time sworn personnel to protect and serve the Denver area.2 The current Sheriff is Gary Wilson, a 22-year veteran of the Denver Sheriff Department.

For anyone who would like to work as a Denver sheriff or sheriff deputy, the department requires that all new candidates must:

• Be at least 21 years of age
  • Have a high school diploma or a GED certificate
  • Be a United States citizen
  • Possess a valid Colorado driver’s license
  • Pass written, physical and medical exam
  • Submit to a psychological exam and attend an integrity interview
  • Submit to an extensive background check and polygraph.
  • ___________________________________________________
And with this we've argued all the way around the bush and come back to where we started. Please note that the county Sheriff Depts. (local government) each has their own standards including, for Denver, citizenship. Local government regulations are clearly listed as an exception to the Federal government's mandate.

Yes you did and yes I followed the links and no, I didn't find anything there that relates to the topic at hand.If you think there is something there point it out. A person who enters the country illegally is a criminal. Even if he becomes a citizen he has committed a crime and has a criminal history. So why is the Federal Government demanding that people with (at least ) a criminal history be considered for a position in law enforcement?

The case was not about someone entering the country illegally, as has been explained before. The case was about legal residents that are eligible to work in the United States.
You keep trying to bring Illegal Aliens into this, persons not allowed to legally work under United States Code - that is not the case here.

And with this we've argued all the way around the bush and come back to where we started. Please note that the county Sheriff Depts. (local government) each has their own standards including, for Denver, citizenship. Local government regulations are clearly listed as an exception to the Federal government's mandate.

The exemptions listed in the USC that I provided and you read were for Federal, State, and Local laws a Sheriff making an unlawful policy within his department is not a law.

As you pointed out, there was nothing in the local laws which provided the exemption you claim.

>>>>

Yes you did and yes I followed the links and no, I didn't find anything there that relates to the topic at hand.If you think there is something there point it out. A person who enters the country illegally is a criminal. Even if he becomes a citizen he has committed a crime and has a criminal history. So why is the Federal Government demanding that people with (at least ) a criminal history be considered for a position in law enforcement?

The case was not about someone entering the country illegally, as has been explained before. The case was about legal residents that are eligible to work in the United States.
You keep trying to bring Illegal Aliens into this, persons not allowed to legally work under United States Code - that is not the case here.

The exemptions listed in the USC that I provided and you read were for Federal, State, and Local laws a Sheriff making an unlawful policy within his department is not a law.

As you pointed out, there was nothing in the local laws which provided the exemption you claim.

>>>>

Again. the exception is a part of the law the fed. gov. claims applies.

8 U.S. Code § 1324b - Unfair immigration-related employment practices

(2)ExceptionsParagraph (1) shall not apply to—

(C)
discrimination because of citizenship status which is otherwise required in order to comply with law, regulation,...of the Federal, State, or local government.

REGULATION! LOCAL GOVERNMENT! Get it now?

or anyone who would like to work as a Denver sheriff or sheriff deputy, the department requires that all new candidates must:

The law itself violates the law. It is STUPID to hire non citizens before citizens. No wonder you libtards are viewed as mental midgets.

Liberals hate america and that one thought determines everything they do.
It's a Reagan era law. Why did Saint Ronnie let that come to be? Why didn't the supposed great America firster Republicans change the law over the past 30 years? Too busy blocking Obama and panty sniffing to notice?

It took the Obama Administration to enforce it unless you have an example of any former Administration being that chickenshit.

(C)
discrimination because of citizenship status which is otherwise required in order to comply with law, regulation,...of the Federal, State, or local government.

No such regulation exists in the municipal code of Denver, you even said so. A department head's discriminatory policy does not rise to the level needed for such an exception.

or anyone who would like to work as a Denver sheriff or sheriff deputy, the department requires that all new candidates must:

Not any more, under the settlement the Sheriff will not longer be discriminating against legal residents.

>>>>

The law itself violates the law. It is STUPID to hire non citizens before citizens. No wonder you libtards are viewed as mental midgets.

Liberals hate america and that one thought determines everything they do.
It's a Reagan era law. Why did Saint Ronnie let that come to be? Why didn't the supposed great America firster Republicans change the law over the past 30 years? Too busy blocking Obama and panty sniffing to notice?

It took the Obama Administration to enforce it unless you have an example of any former Administration being that chickenshit.
You're complaining about the Obama admin enforcing a republican law?

(C)

No such regulation exists in the municipal code of Denver, you even said so. A department head's discriminatory policy does not rise to the level needed for such an exception.

Not any more, under the settlement the Sheriff will not longer be discriminating against legal residents.

>>>>

You are wrong and simply in denial. It's a shame this didn't go to court where the ruling would have proven you wrong. I doubt Trump's administration will be nearly so quick to abuse it's authority as Obama's has been. I imagine Denver considers itself a local government.

You are wrong and simply in denial. It's a shame this didn't go to court where the ruling would have proven you wrong. I doubt Trump's administration will be nearly so quick to abuse it's authority as Obama's has been.

I'm not the one in denial. The lawyers for Denver and the Sheriffs office examined what happened, the DOJ investigated what happened, notified the Sheriffs office and both parties agreed that the Sheriffs actions were illegal discrimination. There was no need to go to court because they Sheriff knew his was in the wrong.

THEY are the ones that agreed to change policy when the law was explained. Hence the only $10,000 fine and the requirement to ensure those that are involved with hiring decisions are properly trained.

I imagine Denver considers itself a local government.

Denver is a local government, the Sheriff - while an agent of the local government - does not have the authority to make such laws or regulations.

I provided the link to Denver's municipal code and you even admitted their was nothing in their providing the Sheriff with the required exception. The Sheriff's hiring discriminatory policy within his department was not a law or regulation under the exception clause of the United States Code linked to earlier.

>>>>

Forum List

Back