Donald Trump is finally realising that you cannot run the US government like a business

The best moment Donald Trump has had in his tumultuous first three weeks in the White House was the nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. The roll-out was pitch perfect.Trump for once was not over the top. And by common consent, Gorsuch is admirably qualified and a great guy. Now the President risks messing it all up.

Part of the problem is the almost vertical learning curve to which this most ignorant and least experienced president in history has inevitably been subjected. Mastery of Twitter is fine but it doesn’t cut the mustard. But the biggest problem, and the biggest lesson, is another. You can’t run the government like a business.

Trump is realising that you cannot run the US government like a business

For anyone paying attention, Trump is an organizer and knows how to get shit done. That includes selecting good options, and guess what, it's worked so far.

he ran his own businesses like garbage.

that's why he went bankrupt 8 times

And that's why he's a billionaire.

He started with loads of money, and he's been given at least $900 million from governments, he's also been given the chance to not pay tax in many areas. I mean, it'd take a real fuck job not to be a millionaire with that.

Very well, then take $10,000 and make it worth 20 times more. Then you can criticize.

900 millions from governments, I would assume you have a link to this claim.............

Well there's a difference between $10,000 and making it 20 times more and $900 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/nyregion/donald-trump-tax-breaks-real-estate.html

"But that book, and numerous interviews over the years, make little mention of a crucial factor in getting the hotel built: an extraordinary 40-year tax break that has cost New York City $360 million to date in forgiven, or uncollected, taxes, with four years still to run, on a property that cost only $120 million to build in 1980."

"He used his father’s, and, later, his own, extensive political connections, and relied on a huge amount of assistance from the government and taxpayers in the form of tax breaks, grants and incentives to benefit the 15 buildings at the core of his Manhattan real estate empire."

"Since then, Mr. Trump has reaped at least $885 million in tax breaks, grants and other subsidies for luxury apartments, hotels and office buildings in New York,"

"No possible subsidy was left untapped. After the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, Mr. Trump lined up a $150,000 grant for one of his buildings near ground zero, taking advantage of a program to help small businesses in the area recover, even though he had acknowledged on the day of the attacks that his building was undamaged."

Donald Trump Has Mastered the Art of the Tax Break

"Donald Trump received a $163.775 million tax break on Trump Tower, his upscale midtown Manhattan building."

Donald Trump’s multi-million dollar Chicago tax break

"Trump is not the only one to get a good deal. Last year the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Mesirow building in River North won a $1.7 million tax reduction."

That's not even included in the $900 million, it's in Chicago.

Trump Won Tax Breaks While Donating Tens Of Thousands To Corrupt Official | The Huffington Post

"Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump gave at least $45,000 to the campaign of Alan Hevesi, a New York state comptroller who later went to prison for his role in a pay-to-play bribery scandal, according to a Huffington Post review of campaign finance records."

There's massive amounts of evidence of Trump giving money to politicians and then getting tax breaks so that his businesses could compete far more easily in the market than other companies. Most people in a similar situation would be able to make money. $10,000 doesn't get you millions in tax breaks, it doesn't make your business exceedingly competitive.... $900 million does.

Yeah, just as

abc379a0-e010-11e3-b4ff-bb498b65b483_per-capita-consumption-of-beef-us_deaths-caused-by-lightning.png.cf.jpg

Holy shit, beef consumption CAUSES deaths by lightning.

f324f170-e010-11e3-b4ff-bb498b65b483_number-of-films-nicolas-cage-appeared-in_female-editors-on-harvard-law-review.png.cf.jpg

Nicolas Cage causes there to be more female editors of the Harvard Law Review.

1bbd1810-e011-11e3-ab49-4d155847e5b1_divorce-rate-in-maine_per-capita-consumption-of-margarine-us.png.cf.jpg

Margarine consumption in the US causes people in Maine to get divorced.

4de55d70-e011-11e3-b4ff-bb498b65b483_mozzarella-vs-civil-engineering.png.cf.jpg

Mozzarella cheese helps people get civil engineering doctorates.

Yep, because two things look similar, therefore it MUST BE THE CASE, huh?
My post caused you to be stupid, amazing I say.

No, it caused you to insult. Well done.
As if your post was not meant to be insulting, get over yourself.

No, my post was designed to highlight the fact that just because two things seem to go together, that doesn't prove any cause or effect.

Just because Obama is president, doesn't mean that the Democrats losing state legislatures and governors had anything to do with him.

You have two things. Obama being president and you have Democrats doing badly in certain places. Is there a correlation between the two? Well if you're going to make that argument you're going to have to do better than "well, they're both true, so the first must cause the second", because as you can see from such charts, the first doesn't cause the second.
no, you have many things, Obama being President and his policies causing Democrats to lose everywhere. In this case, politics, not mozzarella cheese is the topic, making your colored pictures a joke.

The best moment Donald Trump has had in his tumultuous first three weeks in the White House was the nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. The roll-out was pitch perfect.Trump for once was not over the top. And by common consent, Gorsuch is admirably qualified and a great guy. Now the President risks messing it all up.

Part of the problem is the almost vertical learning curve to which this most ignorant and least experienced president in history has inevitably been subjected. Mastery of Twitter is fine but it doesn’t cut the mustard. But the biggest problem, and the biggest lesson, is another. You can’t run the government like a business.

Trump is realising that you cannot run the US government like a business

For a tyro, President Trump is actually doing far, far better than any other president since WWII. In spite of severe intransigence by the Dimbocraps, he has both State and Homeland Security doing what they are supposed to do. And, unlike all the politicians, he is actually working and keeping his promises.

It's going to be a great 8 years.

Yeah, just as

abc379a0-e010-11e3-b4ff-bb498b65b483_per-capita-consumption-of-beef-us_deaths-caused-by-lightning.png.cf.jpg

Holy shit, beef consumption CAUSES deaths by lightning.

f324f170-e010-11e3-b4ff-bb498b65b483_number-of-films-nicolas-cage-appeared-in_female-editors-on-harvard-law-review.png.cf.jpg

Nicolas Cage causes there to be more female editors of the Harvard Law Review.

1bbd1810-e011-11e3-ab49-4d155847e5b1_divorce-rate-in-maine_per-capita-consumption-of-margarine-us.png.cf.jpg

Margarine consumption in the US causes people in Maine to get divorced.

4de55d70-e011-11e3-b4ff-bb498b65b483_mozzarella-vs-civil-engineering.png.cf.jpg

Mozzarella cheese helps people get civil engineering doctorates.

Yep, because two things look similar, therefore it MUST BE THE CASE, huh?
My post caused you to be stupid, amazing I say.

No, it caused you to insult. Well done.
As if your post was not meant to be insulting, get over yourself.

No, my post was designed to highlight the fact that just because two things seem to go together, that doesn't prove any cause or effect.

Just because Obama is president, doesn't mean that the Democrats losing state legislatures and governors had anything to do with him.

You have two things. Obama being president and you have Democrats doing badly in certain places. Is there a correlation between the two? Well if you're going to make that argument you're going to have to do better than "well, they're both true, so the first must cause the second", because as you can see from such charts, the first doesn't cause the second.
no, you have many things, Obama being President and his policies causing Democrats to lose everywhere. In this case, politics, not mozzarella cheese is the topic, making your colored pictures a joke.

Well, you're making the claim, but you're not making the argument. Make an argument.

If you think it's a joke then go away, I don't give a damn.

He started with loads of money, and he's been given at least $900 million from governments, he's also been given the chance to not pay tax in many areas. I mean, it'd take a real fuck job not to be a millionaire with that.

Very well, then take $10,000 and make it worth 20 times more. Then you can criticize.

900 millions from governments, I would assume you have a link to this claim.............

Well there's a difference between $10,000 and making it 20 times more and $900 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/nyregion/donald-trump-tax-breaks-real-estate.html

"But that book, and numerous interviews over the years, make little mention of a crucial factor in getting the hotel built: an extraordinary 40-year tax break that has cost New York City $360 million to date in forgiven, or uncollected, taxes, with four years still to run, on a property that cost only $120 million to build in 1980."

"He used his father’s, and, later, his own, extensive political connections, and relied on a huge amount of assistance from the government and taxpayers in the form of tax breaks, grants and incentives to benefit the 15 buildings at the core of his Manhattan real estate empire."

"Since then, Mr. Trump has reaped at least $885 million in tax breaks, grants and other subsidies for luxury apartments, hotels and office buildings in New York,"

"No possible subsidy was left untapped. After the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, Mr. Trump lined up a $150,000 grant for one of his buildings near ground zero, taking advantage of a program to help small businesses in the area recover, even though he had acknowledged on the day of the attacks that his building was undamaged."

"Donald Trump received a $163.775 million tax break on Trump Tower, his upscale midtown Manhattan building."

"Trump is not the only one to get a good deal. Last year the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Mesirow building in River North won a $1.7 million tax reduction."

Trump Won Tax Breaks While Donating Tens Of Thousands To Corrupt Official | The Huffington Post

"Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump gave at least $45,000 to the campaign of Alan Hevesi, a New York state comptroller who later went to prison for his role in a pay-to-play bribery scandal, according to a Huffington Post review of campaign finance records."

There's massive amounts of evidence of Trump giving money to politicians and then getting tax breaks so that his businesses could compete far more easily in the market than other companies. Most people in a similar situation would be able to make money. $10,000 doesn't get you millions in tax breaks, it doesn't make your business exceedingly competitive.... $900 million does.

I don't understand what that has to do with it. Tax breaks means he paid less in taxes. You don't become wealthy by paying less on something, you become wealthy by taking huge risks and investing your own money.

I get all kinds of tax breaks as well on my little investment. I invested my 10K in real estate. I write-off all my expenses for my rental units, so yes, you do get tax breaks on smaller investments.

I don't understand what that has to do with it. Tax breaks means he paid less in taxes. You don't become wealthy by paying less on something, you become wealthy by taking huge risks and investing your own money.

I get all kinds of tax breaks as well on my little investment. I invested my 10K in real estate. I write-off all my expenses for my rental units, so yes, you do get tax breaks on smaller investments.

It doesn't just say tax breaks, it also says grants. He was given money to do things. Yes, he risked so of his own money, however these risks were really risks because he was basically diddling the system. He knew he was going to do well out of it. The politicians were corrupt and he was paying them off. It's quite simple.

One thing is competition, the other is when you get such an advantage over the competition that you're laughing all the way to the bank. The fact is, New York either gave him, or didn't take from him, nearly $1 billion, and other states did the same thing, I'd guess New Jersey and Florida also did similar things and I know Chicago did this.

I didn't say you don't get tax breaks on smaller investments. I said you didn't get the kind of advantage that Trump got with smaller investments.

It doesn't just say tax breaks, it also says grants. He was given money to do things. Yes, he risked so of his own money, however these risks were really risks because he was basically diddling the system. He knew he was going to do well out of it. The politicians were corrupt and he was paying them off. It's quite simple.

One thing is competition, the other is when you get such an advantage over the competition that you're laughing all the way to the bank. The fact is, New York either gave him, or didn't take from him, nearly $1 billion, and other states did the same thing, I'd guess New Jersey and Florida also did similar things and I know Chicago did this.

I didn't say you don't get tax breaks on smaller investments. I said you didn't get the kind of advantage that Trump got with smaller investments.

Very often cities and states give tax abatements to draw businesses to their area. It's not like it's anything new or exclusive to Trump. Paying off politicians? Trump was very overt about that when he was running for the Republican nomination. He stated it's a shame that business people have to contribute to politicians in order to win at the game. He even contributed to Hillary's campaign a few times if I remember correctly.

Many business people did the exact same as Trump, but few have mimicked his success. How do you think big league CEO's get the pay they get? They made plenty of friends in politics and business. They have a lot of connections to help them in their endeavors. Again, nothing really new here, and many have failed at what Trump succeeded at.

Hating the rich is very common on the left unless the rich are involved in entertainment or an industry they approve of. But even the most envious of you can't discredit Trump's success.

Very often cities and states give tax abatements to draw businesses to their area. It's not like it's anything new or exclusive to Trump. Paying off politicians? Trump was very overt about that when he was running for the Republican nomination. He stated it's a shame that business people have to contribute to politicians in order to win at the game. He even contributed to Hillary's campaign a few times if I remember correctly.

Many business people did the exact same as Trump, but few have mimicked his success. How do you think big league CEO's get the pay they get? They made plenty of friends in politics and business. They have a lot of connections to help them in their endeavors. Again, nothing really new here, and many have failed at what Trump succeeded at.

Hating the rich is very common on the left unless the rich are involved in entertainment or an industry they approve of. But even the most envious of you can't discredit Trump's success.

I didn't ever suggest this was anything new.

States give incentives to big businesses and it benefits big businesses. The EU has gone the exact opposite way. It's preventing large corporations from playing one country off with another, but the US seems to like it. I wonder why, could it be that the rich run the country for the benefit of the rich?

Trump paid politicians and then straight after he'd win massive tax breaks or grants for an unfair advantage. If you think this is moral or right then I'd have to wonder what your moral standards.

I don't hate the rich. Don't fucking throw that shit at me. I'm not here to play silly beggers.

Forum List

Back