Donald Trump’s threat to imprison Hillary Clinton is a threat to democracy

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016
There is no way to sugarcoat this: At Sunday night’s presidential debate, Donald Trump threatened to throw Hillary Clinton in jail if he wins the presidency. This — threatening to jail one’s political opponents — is how democratic norms die.

The exchange happened during a discussion of the controversy over Hillary Clinton’s private email server. Trump began by decrying Clinton’s conduct — which, according to the FBI, was quite bad but not illegal. He then proposed appointing a special prosecutor to investigate her, and warned Clinton that, if he were president now, “you’d be in jail”:

TRUMP: I'll tell you what. I didn't think I'd say this, and I'm going to say it, and hate to say it: If I win, I'm going to instruct the attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation because there's never been so many lies, so much deception … A very expensive process, so we're going to get a special prosecutor because people have been, their lives have been destroyed for doing one-fifth of what you've done. And it's a disgrace, and honestly, you ought to be ashamed.

-snip-

In democracies, we respect people’s rights to disagree with each other. When one candidate wins a presidential election, the loser returns to private life or another government position. In some cases, former rivals become close friends. George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton, who defeated Bush in the 1992 election, travel together and have spent decades jointly raising money to aid the victims of natural disasters.

They don’t get sent to jail, because we believe that political disagreement should be legal.

read more: Donald Trump’s threat to imprison Hillary Clinton is a threat to democracy

Trump is nothing more then thug.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016
There is no way to sugarcoat this: At Sunday night’s presidential debate, Donald Trump threatened to throw Hillary Clinton in jail if he wins the presidency. This — threatening to jail one’s political opponents — is how democratic norms die.

The exchange happened during a discussion of the controversy over Hillary Clinton’s private email server. Trump began by decrying Clinton’s conduct — which, according to the FBI, was quite bad but not illegal. He then proposed appointing a special prosecutor to investigate her, and warned Clinton that, if he were president now, “you’d be in jail”:

TRUMP: I'll tell you what. I didn't think I'd say this, and I'm going to say it, and hate to say it: If I win, I'm going to instruct the attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation because there's never been so many lies, so much deception … A very expensive process, so we're going to get a special prosecutor because people have been, their lives have been destroyed for doing one-fifth of what you've done. And it's a disgrace, and honestly, you ought to be ashamed.

-snip-

In democracies, we respect people’s rights to disagree with each other. When one candidate wins a presidential election, the loser returns to private life or another government position. In some cases, former rivals become close friends. George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton, who defeated Bush in the 1992 election, travel together and have spent decades jointly raising money to aid the victims of natural disasters.

They don’t get sent to jail, because we believe that political disagreement should be legal.

read more: Donald Trump’s threat to imprison Hillary Clinton is a threat to democracy

He thinks of himself as a dictator, repeatedly saying "I alone" can fix the problems in our country, so this fits right in, as dictators jail their opponents.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

No...it's just typical Right Wing blather....

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

Is that considered TREASON? If not - it should be. Trump sounds like a third world dictator.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

Is that considered TREASON? If not - it should be. Trump sounds like a third world dictator.
Exactly.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

I agree, he is a thug. His language and demeanor during the debate highlighted that. His threats. The menacing way he paced around the stage and stood staring at her. Him calling her evil and the devil. All the acts of a thug, not a potential president. Never seen anything like it. He is the truly deplorable one. He is a disgrace to this country.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

Exactly.
Agree. I've said it before. He is far, far more like the leader of a small 3rd world country than the US. He's another Papa Doc.

Trump suggested Hillary should be in jail for her crimes, not because of her political views.

Compare that to Hillary calling countless millions of Americans deplorable while at the same time championing unskilled scum from the third world flooding into the country. That alone should be grounds for her not being POTUS.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

He's a Mussolini wannabe. A small dictator. He views the presidency as his personal blank check to punish his political opponents. Just as they did in the Soviet Union.

The Republican party has abandoned him, no newspapers will endorse him, he attracts the KKK and White Supremacist movement. The rest of the world has real reason to wonder if this country will remain a democracy. Trump himself could not act on his dictatorial fanaticism, but if Republicans in Congress keep control of both houses they would, after a short time, view this as their one opportunity to change laws that would keep them in power indefinitely. They have shown they don't believe in American democracy anymore simply by their rampant attempts in various states to suppress the right to vote.

Trump suggested Hillary should be in jail for her crimes, not because of her political views.

Compare that to Hillary calling countless millions of Americans deplorable while at the same time championing unskilled scum from the third world flooding into the country. That alone should be grounds for her not being POTUS.
There was no crime. She has been investigated up one side and down the other. His idea to set up a special prosecutor is just a way of spending millions of tax payer dollars and reaching the same conclusion.

Let us not forget this is the same guy who has said women who get abortions should be legally punished. He's disgusting.

No, letting her run around loose is a threat to America.

I don't think she meant to call 'countless millions' of Americans deplorable, but certainly people like you.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

He thinks of himself as a dictator, repeatedly saying "I alone" can fix the problems in our country, so this fits right in, as dictators jail their opponents.

He insists that he will run the government like he does his businesses. And insists that he runs his business as a dictator.

Now he's insisting that he'll imprison his political opponents.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

57% of Americans disagree.

The way I look at it, she would look hot to cons in an orange jumpsuit. Keep it buttoned up, Hillary.

Clinton made a grave error in Benghazi that cost US Ambassador Stevens' life. She thought it was over a youtube video insulting the Prophet Muhammad. Should she go to prison for it? Probably not, but she should have lost her job. The only reason she didn't was Obumba thought so, too.

Her biggest crime was she schemed, lied repeatedly, and jeopardized national security in favor of her own selfish interests while secretary of state. This was having her own private server with classified information and having it professionally wiped clean before handing it over to FBI. That is indefensible and she should be held accountable.

The question in my mind is can the emails she deleted be recovered or were copies stored elsewhere? These were emails that would halt her presidential campaign immediately and have her brought to trial.

Forum List

Back