DOW is tanking: but....

If only it were true. Trump has repeatedly proven himself to be embarrassingly ignorant on trade issues.
And yet the Dow's up 2,000 points since Trump ramped up tariffs in the middle of 2018. There is an ignorant party in the conflict between Trump and the Left, but as is even slowly dawning on Harry Reid, it's not Trump!

HARRY REID TELLS DAVID AXELROD: “I used to think that Donald Trump was not too smart. I certainly don’t believe that anymore. No matter what the subject, any argument he involves himself in, it’s on his terms.”

I wonder if Reid understands what a mile marker his leadership of the Senate was on the road to Trump’s election.
I wish I had your faith but I've seen too many bubbles pop, too many recessions and too many Wall Street bankers walk away from the wreckage of the economy blameless. I remember back in 2009 when Obama did a few limited tariffs on Chinese goods and he was excoriated by the right for it. Excuse me if I feel a little puzzled by the right suddenly embracing a trade war with China decades after it would have made sense.
We bought the "Free Trade" bullshit for a lot of years. China stealing our technology, hacking our State Department and flooding our streets with deadly Fetanyl seems very disrespectful to one of their best customers. And they treat the environment and our oceans like it's their personal toilet. I'm a little puzzled by the Left's embrace of China.

2013 our trade deficit was $319B
2018 it was $420B

Why did tariffs "make more sense" in 2013 than 2018?

Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with China
A trade war made sense when we still had leverage, I'm talking back in the nineties. Back then all the republicans and half the democrats decided we would be better off without a meaningful manufacturing base. The only people who seemed to think it was a bad idea were the actual left. Now we have Trump trying to have a trade war on industries that no longer really exist in this country. We no longer have the means to win a trade war. Protectionist measures only work to protect market dominance. At best some manufacturing may leave China for other places like Vietnam but never will it come back to the US, that boat has sailed.
/----/ " We no longer have the means to win a trade war. "
And that defeatist attitude led to the election of Donald Trump.
We've been in a trade war for years, the only difference is that we finally have a President that is fighting back!

If only it were true. Trump has repeatedly proven himself to be embarrassingly ignorant on trade issues.
And yet the Dow's up 2,000 points since Trump ramped up tariffs in the middle of 2018. There is an ignorant party in the conflict between Trump and the Left, but as is even slowly dawning on Harry Reid, it's not Trump!

HARRY REID TELLS DAVID AXELROD: “I used to think that Donald Trump was not too smart. I certainly don’t believe that anymore. No matter what the subject, any argument he involves himself in, it’s on his terms.”

I wonder if Reid understands what a mile marker his leadership of the Senate was on the road to Trump’s election.
I wish I had your faith but I've seen too many bubbles pop, too many recessions and too many Wall Street bankers walk away from the wreckage of the economy blameless. I remember back in 2009 when Obama did a few limited tariffs on Chinese goods and he was excoriated by the right for it. Excuse me if I feel a little puzzled by the right suddenly embracing a trade war with China decades after it would have made sense.
We bought the "Free Trade" bullshit for a lot of years. China stealing our technology, hacking our State Department and flooding our streets with deadly Fetanyl seems very disrespectful to one of their best customers. And they treat the environment and our oceans like it's their personal toilet. I'm a little puzzled by the Left's embrace of China.

2018 it was $420B

/----/ The Left idolizes the ChiComs because of their total dictatorial powers and intolerance of Human Rights. And best of all, dissent is met with a firing squad. What's not for a lib to like?
The Chi-Coms have also bought off much of the Left, and using the their trade surplus with us to do it. That is why the Left is so upset about Trump putting the brakes on the Chinese plunder of the US economy, they are getting a cut of the action.

2018 it was $420B

A trade war made sense when we still had leverage, I'm talking back in the nineties. Back then all the republicans and half the democrats decided we would be better off without a meaningful manufacturing base. The only people who seemed to think it was a bad idea were the actual left. Now we have Trump trying to have a trade war on industries that no longer really exist in this country. We no longer have the means to win a trade war. Protectionist measures only work to protect market dominance. At best some manufacturing may leave China for other places like Vietnam but never will it come back to the US, that boat has sailed.
Vietnam isn't building carrier buster missiles, with our Carriers in mind, so even if you're right, it's still worth it.

But, I doubt you are right.

Here is the last two years of manufacturing output under Obama:

fredgraph.png

Here is the first two years under Trump:

fredgraph.png

A remarkable turnaround, they said couldn't be done!

Forum List

Back