Driverless cars set to be on public roads in 5 years. Are we ready?

Yes it does appear that it may be a reality very soon

My guess is Uncle Sam will mandate ALL vehicles be fitted with the technology...of course, the reason will be to protect us from ourselves.

The days of 'driving' your automobile, may be numbered.

My guess is Uncle Sam will mandate ALL vehicles be fitted with the technology...of course, the reason will be to protect us from ourselves.

I'll still rebuild the old ones, just like I have done for 30 years...

I suspect old cars will be modified to become driverless. Just look at how mobile phones took off, when the technology came along. It will be the same with driverless cars.

I suspect old cars will be modified to become driverless. Just look at how mobile phones took off, when the technology came along. It will be the same with cars.
Not if I can help it....But by then, I will withdraw farther from society, or I can par-tay while driving again, just like old times....

As long as theyre able to allow human correction within a split second of when or if the computer makes a wrong decision - I am all for this.

As long as theyre able to allow human correction within a split second of when or if the computer makes a wrong decision - I am all for this.
That is the part that would make me leery, yet, it would probably have a better driving record than I do...

That is the part that would make me leery, yet, it would probably have a better driving record than I do...

I saw a driverless car hit a guy on TV the other day.

I've been driving since I was 14 and never hit anyone.

So tell me who is responsible when a driverless car hits someone?

They will be insured, just like any car. But there will be far fewer accidents, less human error.

I highly doubt that
Please explain.

For christ's sake I have to unplug my cable modem at least once a month because the buffers get jammed up

and you think a driverless car won't be plagued with technical glitches of a more severe variety?

The differeence is my cable modem isn't controlling a 2 ton vehicle

I have very little faith in the decision making ability of computer controlled machinery because it is humans who write the decision making algorithms.

They will be insured, just like any car. But there will be far fewer accidents, less human error.

I highly doubt that
Please explain.

For christ's sake I have to unplug my cable modem at least once a month because the buffers get jammed up

and you think a driverless car won't be plagued with technical glitches of a more severe variety?

I have very little faith in the decision making ability of computer controlled machinery because it is humans who write the decision making algorithms.
I see your point, but it is not likely to be applicable in this case.

For example, nearly all commercial aviation is controlled by computers and the result is accidents seldom occur. In fact, aviation accidents that do occur are often the result of pilot error, not the computer.

I think your objection is groundless.

Automated driving and driverless cars.

They were once just the stuff of science fiction, but as you're likely aware, a number of automotive and technology companies have been tinkering away on them.

What might surprise you is just how soon we might actually be sharing the road with them.

Driverless cars set to be on public roads in 5 years. Are we ready - Home The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti CBC Radio

Uh no. First accident and resulting lawsuit will end this flight of fantasy real quick.

I highly doubt that
Please explain.

For example, nearly all commercial aviation is controlled by computers and the result is accidents seldom occur. In fact, aviation accidents that do occur are often the result of pilot error, not the computer.

Airplanes controlled by computer are navigating in very tightly controlled flight paths. And it is people not computers who monitor and control those flight paths

other planes very rarely if at all will cross paths.

Auto traffic is much more chaotic and unpredictable

I highly doubt that
Please explain.

Airplanes controlled by computer are navigating in very tightly controlled flight paths. And it is people not computers who monitor and control those flight paths

other planes very rarely if at all will cross paths.

Auto traffic is much more chaotic and unpredictable
Good points, however I tend to think the technology must work before it is implemented and that should be easy to determine.

Forum List

Back