Drug Abuse's Victims

The addiction rate of marijuana is lower than the addiction rate of alcohol, and no one has ever died from an overdose of pot. Plenty of people have overdosed on alcohol.

Alcohol withdrawal is the only drug withdrawal from which you can die.

For these reasons, I believe marijuana should be legal.

As for harder drugs like cocaine or heroine or meth, these have a much, much higher rate of addiction. They also take a human being down farther and faster than alcohol.

For these reasons, I believe harder drugs should continue to be controlled substances.

I have come to these conclusions after doing volunteer work with addicts and alcoholics for nearly two decades in detox and treatment centers, as well as in jails and prisons, and from reading a lot of medical and scientific literature on the subject.

I used to be opposed to legalizing marijuana, but the literature and the facts on the ground have convinced me otherwise.
It is certainly arguable that a drugs like crystal meth and crack would not even exist were it not for the drug war.

How many people are cooking up batches of bathtub gin since the repeal of alcohol prohibition?

As with many of society's problems, education and prevention can do a great deal to mitigate the problem. But treatment and education do not entirely remove the need for punishment.

The addiction rate of marijuana is lower than the addiction rate of alcohol, and no one has ever died from an overdose of pot. Plenty of people have overdosed on alcohol.

As for harder drugs like cocaine or heroine or meth, these have a much, much higher rate of addiction. They also take a human being down farther and faster than alcohol.

For these reasons, I believe harder drugs should continue to be controlled substances.

I have come to these conclusions after doing volunteer work with addicts and alcoholics for nearly two decades in detox and treatment centers, as well as in jails and prisons, and from reading a lot of medical and scientific literature on the subject.

I used to be opposed to legalizing marijuana, but the literature and the facts on the ground have convinced me otherwise.

I agree with you on this point. Well stated.

As for other drugs no. Way too dangerous. Noone uses heroin except to get high, only reason it exists, medical professionals wont touch it, addiction rates and drug interaction are very bad.

As for a previous comparison between guns and drugs. Kinda the same, but not really.

Guns are tools and don't change behavior. no one grabs a gun and beats their wife and kids. They do with drugs

Second guns are made for a variety of things, murder is not one of the intended purposes of them.
Some drugs are made only for recreational use and are dangerous, they should be restricted. I just don't want people hopped up on PCP going around and killing folks, not cool.

As for other drugs no. Way too dangerous. Noone uses heroin except to get high, only reason it exists, medical professionals wont touch it, addiction rates and drug interaction are very bad.

As for a previous comparison between guns and drugs. Kinda the same, but not really.

Guns are tools and don't change behavior. no one grabs a gun and beats their wife and kids. They do with drugs

Second guns are made for a variety of things, murder is not one of the intended purposes of them.
What is the purpose of drinking alcohol?
Some drugs are made only for recreational use and are dangerous, they should be restricted. I just don't want people hopped up on PCP going around and killing folks, not cool.
PCP is not even made for recreational use. It is a veterinary tranquilizer.

Lest we mention the shot up ghettos and innocents caught in the crossfire of gangland drug turf wars.

Yes, Good point
but this one does not distinguish from the argument blaming the "drug wars" and criminalization for fueling the black market and turf war violence.
Gang warfare is central to the issue.

For the drug warriors, the suffering of innocents is acceptable collateral damage, to try and prevent stupid people from harming themselves.

i am more for decriminalizing it than making it legal....take off the schedule 1 list.....then go from there....that is going to happen sooner or later anyway.....

I am in favor of treating drugs like the threat they are. Let's get serious in the war on drugs. First offense: rehab. Second offense: firing squad. Dealer: firing squad. End of problem. Someone wants to argue about marijuana? Fine, we can argue some other time.

Guns are tools and don't change behavior.

there is an argument in there somewhere Buck....you have a little squirrely fuck holding a gun on a guy who can beat the holy fuck out of him.....look how brave the guy is now....so his behavior has changed....hasnt it?.....how many little piss ant gang bangers are big brave men with guns?....when they are alone and unarmed i bet they are not as big and bad....

there is an argument in there somewhere Buck....you have a little squirrely fuck holding a gun on a guy who can beat the holy fuck out of him.....look how brave the guy is now....so his behavior has changed....hasnt it?.....how many little piss ant gang bangers are big brave men with guns?....when they are alone and unarmed i bet they are not as big and bad....

That doesnt even qualify as a stretch. Flat out bizarre is more like it.

What is the purpose of drinking alcohol?
PCP is not even made for recreational use. It is a veterinary tranquilizer.

i dont drink alcohol, so i wouldnt care if it was banned, but alcobol andmpcp or heroin are two different stories

ok for pcp, i get almost nothing on the vet use. Almost everythi g comes up to its recreational use. So it is used i vets, but now its main purpose is recreational and its a dangerous drug.

That doesnt even qualify as a stretch. Flat out bizarre is more like it.

see told you there was an argument there.....did i call it?....

I am in favor of treating drugs like the threat they are. Let's get serious in the war on drugs. First offense: rehab. Second offense: firing squad. Dealer: firing squad. End of problem. Someone wants to argue about marijuana? Fine, we can argue some other time.

Absolutely psychotic. You belong in a padded cell.

Yeah Harry, you will get a few people thinking they're bad ass with a gun, but that's because they're crazy.
But the problem with hard drugs is they change your behavior from nice into wife beater, alcohol does that too. Again if they banned it, fine for me.
The main thing is though drugs are way more dangerous because they make you want to kill people, where as guns are just tools.

If people thought like you in the 1940s then marijuana would have remained illegal and the US wouldn't have been able to win World War II, and Israel wouldn't have as much funding as it does today. It's even possible that if the US had not entered the war and won with the help of legal "Marihuana" then the nation of Israel wouldn't have even been created after the war.

If you are indeed a rabbi then someone should remind you that God created marijuana and "saw that it was good".

Absolutely psychotic. You belong in a padded cell.

i hear ya....smoke a joint....go to rehab....

ROLF not only did weed win us WWII now your new claim is it help create Israel. LMAO

Seriously, you're really a dick!

The only country dealing sanely with drugs including pot is China. Except for one thing the Chinese are so addicted to the labor work - rehab produces that the government has a financial interest in the growth of drug use.

The only country dealing sanely with drugs including pot is China. Except for one thing the Chinese are so addicted to the labor work - rehab produces that the government has a financial interest in the growth of drug use.

one Country out of the whole world.....and the way they treat the people is pretty oppressive but to you its sane.....shows you were you are at Katz.....its called Education.....try it....you might move into the 21st Century with the rest of us....

Banning drugs doesn't help, people will still use drugs and it will be bought illegally and this causes whole cartels to come to the US. It is a better idea to legalize all drugs and set up legal stores, so people can even make a legal profit out of it. We can prevent people from becoming junkies by not giving them welfare if they stop working and not giving them government-subsidized healthcare. So that people can choose whether or not to use drugs, but also let them experience the consequences if their use gets out of control.

Forum List

Back