During GOP Debate, when RP asked about sick young man audience yells "Let him DIE!".

Line item tax forms?

There's lots of things I don't want to pay for..and things I do. If it's to save someone's life..I am in.

If it's to build a missile defense system which doesn't work..I am out.

That's um..like Direct Democracy. :lol:

My issue is with people that CAN have insurance but choose not to. Others that can't afford it should be responsible for it SOMEHOW. I can't afford to pay other people bills, so why should i be made to? There are alot of people out there that could afford some type of insurance but just don't do it because they KNOW they'll be treated anyway and they're not forced to pay. They'll just file bankruptcy later. I've been through bankruptcy and was very surprised at how easy it was!!!

That wasn't my point.

There are things I am made to pay for with my taxes I want no part of..

And that's what your saying.

So would you advocate for a line item tax form?

I have to admit, i really don't know a lot about taxes and i'm not sure what the line item tax form is! I've googled it, but still not really understanding it! Please fill me in and i'll let you know!!! :)

Considering the premise of the question was a 30yr old who could afford it, but chose not to, I'd say he was a very irresponsible individual to not look out for his family.
JMO, but then again, I don't believe you can hold folks hand to make them responsible.

I was 30, once. Big strong and extremely healthy.

Worked on a truck and moved furniture. I didn't need no stinking health insurance.

Now I am 50. About 10 years ago I had a severe heart problem that required something called an "ablation". Very long, expensive and painful operation. And I am glad I had health insurance.

I didn't either when I was single, but once the family came insurance was the responsible thing to do. I couldn't imagine being 30 with a family and chancing it without insurance, incredibly irresponsible.
Must be that conservative upbringing that taught me to look out for my own.

Once, family health insurance was somewhat affordable. Once, every employer offered health insurance. Now, young couples face difficult economic choices when it comes to insurance

Do you pay your college loans? The rent check? Utilities? How do you pay that $2000 repair bill on the car you need to get to work?

You have a $500 monthly bill on that family insurance policy. You feel healthy and think you can get by for a few years until you are in better financial shape.

Do you deserve to die for that decision?

st jude's hosp, shrin ers, lions club and that's jst off the top of my head
Is that enough to cover the care of every poor person in the country? :doubt:

And it's the responsibility of others to take care of everyone else in the country??

No... The point is that many do VOLUNTARILY help those in real need... I know... I furiously support things like Haydens Heart Heroes in my area in terms of medical charity....

While it is great to help... it is not great to be forced to help

I challenged that most bankruptcies are due to medical. Although it is an underlying contribution to 60% it is not the cause.

You're splitting hairs here. Analogy time:

You buy a nice new dining room table. I bring over my pet elephant, who I inform you will need to sit on your table. Understandably you object, but while we are arguing the Elephant sits on your table, which miraculously doesn't break. In amazement, you set down your keys on the table next to the elephant, at which point the table has a spectacular structural failure.

The elephant is not the cause of the crash, but it is a contributing cause.

That's the situation with the current cost of healthcare. A person without insurance might just be able to take the cost of a month long hospital stay if they're willing to live the rest of their life inside a fairly tight budget, but financially they're pretty much screwed. It won't take much of anything at all to push them over the line to bankruptcy.

Last edited:
I was 30, once. Big strong and extremely healthy.

Worked on a truck and moved furniture. I didn't need no stinking health insurance.

Now I am 50. About 10 years ago I had a severe heart problem that required something called an "ablation". Very long, expensive and painful operation. And I am glad I had health insurance.

I didn't either when I was single, but once the family came insurance was the responsible thing to do. I couldn't imagine being 30 with a family and chancing it without insurance, incredibly irresponsible.

Once, family health insurance was somewhat affordable. Once, every employer offered health insurance. Now, young couples face difficult economic choices when it comes to insurance

Do you pay your college loans? The rent check? Utilities? How do you pay that $2000 repair bill on the car you need to get to work?

You have a $500 monthly bill on that family insurance policy. You feel healthy and think you can get by for a few years until you are in better financial shape.

We all have choices.... we all have the freedom to work 2 and 3 jobs if you feel something is necessary... we all take risks at many levels... that still does not make it the responsibility of anyone else but you, to take care of your own needs

Why is it a sacrifice and priority for some in the same "life" bills and cash flow situation ?

BTW: this is a ridiculous question, in that its moot. Doctor's take an oath, and if there's a chance to save your life they are morally obligated to do so, regardless of cost.

And for the record, the most stupid part of this whole healthcare debate is the idea that people are upset that Universal Health Care would lead to them paying for others illnesses. You're doing that already. Hospitals have to increase costs to cover the folks that can't pay, who they are legally and morally obligated to help. The only way to avoid paying for those poor folks is to just opt out entirely and treat yourself at home.

Good luck with that.

Point being, even though there are charity hospitals and clinics (yes, I was wrong about that), they are not enough to take care of all the charity cases out there.

If that were the case there would be no need to have this discussion. Ron Paul's utopia would exist.

We all have choices.... we all have the freedom to work 2 and 3 jobs if you feel something is necessary... we all take risks at many levels... that still does not make it the responsibility of anyone else but you, to take care of your own needs

How's somebody to catch The Office and Southpark if they are working two jobs? Shit, we have many people not willing to work one job.... hey, why should they?

Point being, even though there are charity hospitals and clinics (yes, I was wrong about that), they are not enough to take care of all the charity cases out there.

If that were the case there would be no need to have this discussion. Ron Paul's utopia would exist.

Perhaps we need to stop creating so many charity cases?

Perhaps we need to stop creating so many charity cases?

now there's a thought.

Why is it the gubment's job to take care of the charity cases? This is how massive fraud gets its start.....

And the consequence of your decision should be death?

Forum List

Back