Eco Coal!! Mining industry sees first profitable quarter in many years!!

One word........... :spinner::spinner: WINNING :spinner::spinner:

And to think.........for the last several years, every single AGW k00k in here said coal was "dead" in America. LOL.....and this weekend, Pennsylvania opened the first new coal mine in America in about 10 years......the people of the community overjoyed.:clap2:

U.S. Mining Industry Sees First Profitable Quarter in 2 Years

Ummm..........who's not winning?:popcorn:

Great. Another soulless multi million dollar company made a profit. Were more than just the bare minimum of jobs created?

And to think.........for the last several years, every single AGW k00k in here said coal was "dead" in America. LOL.....and this weekend, Pennsylvania opened the first new coal mine in America in about 10 years......the people of the community overjoyed.:clap2:

Great. Another soulless multi million dollar company made a profit. Were more than just the bare minimum of jobs created?
There's always a black cloud in the silver lining isn't there?

I thought jobs were the main reason for helping the coal industry since the free market has already decided it's a dying source of energy. Gas is, and will be a much lower cost and cleaner option..

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, when such companies in a once hurting industry see that they can see an increase in profits that they will justify hiring more American workers and expanding?

Something to consider.

I thought jobs were the main reason for helping the coal industry since the free market has already decided it's a dying source of energy. Gas is, and will be a much lower cost and cleaner option..
Jobs and energy. WA is still 10% coal powered so your facts are off. It will be replaced as technology moves along, as always. The libs want to always legislated before technology has the answer though.

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, when such companies in a once hurting industry see that they can see an increase in profits that they will justify hiring more American workers and expanding?

Something to consider.

Companies NEVER hire because they are making more money. They only hire when there is no other choice.

Something to consider.

Companies NEVER hire because they are making more money. They only hire when there is no other choice.
...which proves you are clueless about business.

Jobs and energy. WA is still 10% coal powered so your facts are off. It will be replaced as technology moves along, as always. The libs want to always legislated before technology has the answer though.
Which facts would those be? Gas technology isn't new.

Something to consider.

Really? When has tickle down worked before?

Something to consider.

Really? When has tickle down worked before?
When hasn't it?

Skook is so desperate, he's just declared that "mining" means "mining coal".

In the Skook-kook world, nothing else in the universe is mined except coal.

Skook is so desperate, he's just declared that "mining" means "mining coal".

In the Skook-kook world, nothing else in the universe is mined except coal.

In the world of Skooks, its all about winning!! All winning all the time.:up:

People with reasoned judgment get it......offuckingcourse it is awesome when this industry becomes profitable because it means people can make a living. But to progressives, its "FUCK YOU!!" to those people if it doesn't conform with the agenda. Well.......the AGW climate crusaders are taking bumpy cucumbers all the time in recent years but especially since Trump came in and is smashing the shit out of the Obama legacy on climate.

Something to consider.

Not likely you will see much of an increase in jobs. For one the main toll on those jobs has been automation and competition from cheaper and cleaner sources like natural gas and renewables. Energy has always been a boom/bust industry.

Something to consider.

Something to consider.

If a company is making more money with fewer people - why would they hire more unless they actually NEED more? (ie no choice) - it's always been about getting the maximum profit with the fewest possible workers.

That wasn't the free market and you know it...

Yes a lot of it was market pressures. The easily accessed coal is mostly been extracted. What remains is harder and more expensive to extract and a lot dirtier. When you have plentiful (cheaper) natural gas available that's the market. Regulation only plays a small part in it.

Yes a lot of it was market pressures. The easily accessed coal is mostly been extracted. What remains is harder and more expensive to extract and a lot dirtier. When you have plentiful (cheaper) natural gas available that's the market. Regulation only plays a small part in it.

Stop the propaganda coyote... I still remember my teacher in the early 1980s talk about how much coal Illinois has and all the regulations and tree huggers back then refusing to let us get at it.

Illinois coal’s last stand | Feature | Chicago Reader

Illinois coal is significantly cheaper to mine, per amount of energy content, compared to coal from West Virginia and the Powder River Basin in Wyoming, which were responsible for 11 percent and 40 percent of U.S. coal production, respectively, in 2014. Illinois had 6 percent of the nation's coal production that year.

"The one thing Illinois coal has going for it is our coal is easy to extract, and we have plenty of coal," says Gonet. "Appalachia has been aggressively mining coal for a long time, so the low-hanging fruit is gone. We have a lot of easy coal to extract, so our coal companies are going to be the low-cost producers. And in a shrinking market, the low-cost producer is going to win."

Illinois coal has become even cheaper and easier to extract with the advent of longwall mining, an underground mining technique in which huge machines essentially chew into coal seams, extracting the coal and letting the ground collapse behind them. This is much more efficient than the traditional "room and pillar" underground method, where miners left columns of earth and coal holding up the roof of the mine.

Once again the map

us_comparison2.gif

Stop the propaganda coyote... I still remember my teacher in the early 1980s talk about how much coal Illinois has and all the regulations and tree huggers back then refusing to let us get at it.

Illinois coal’s last stand | Feature | Chicago Reader

Illinois coal is significantly cheaper to mine, per amount of energy content, compared to coal from West Virginia and the Powder River Basin in Wyoming, which were responsible for 11 percent and 40 percent of U.S. coal production, respectively, in 2014. Illinois had 6 percent of the nation's coal production that year.

"The one thing Illinois coal has going for it is our coal is easy to extract, and we have plenty of coal," says Gonet. "Appalachia has been aggressively mining coal for a long time, so the low-hanging fruit is gone. We have a lot of easy coal to extract, so our coal companies are going to be the low-cost producers. And in a shrinking market, the low-cost producer is going to win."

Illinois coal has become even cheaper and easier to extract with the advent of longwall mining, an underground mining technique in which huge machines essentially chew into coal seams, extracting the coal and letting the ground collapse behind them. This is much more efficient than the traditional "room and pillar" underground method, where miners left columns of earth and coal holding up the roof of the mine.

Once again the map

View attachment 132517

I"m not spouting propoganda.

Your article even supports some of the points I made:

More than 200 coal-fired power plants nationwide have closed or have announced closures since 2010, including two shuttered in Chicago in 2012. And the nation's largest coal companies have declared bankruptcy, as low natural gas prices, environmental regulations, and increasing amounts of renewable energy have turned coal from the bedrock of our country's energy supply into an increasingly uneconomical power source.

Illinois coal production increased to 59 million tons in 2015 from 33 million tons in 2010, though prices slumped for coal from the Illinois Basin—a geologic formation covering much of Illinois and parts of Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee—as coal prices plummeted nationwide. Illinois coal-mine employment has dropped even when production has risen, since modern technology requires fewer workers to extract coal.

Only about a tenth of Illinois's coal is used by power plants in-state. Illinois coal plants mostly import coal from Wyoming, which has lower energy content but less sulfur, burning more cleanly and allowing plants to meet state and federal clean air regulations even with outdated equipment.

There is much opposition to longwall mining in downstate Illinois, even from the many citizens who support mining as a whole. Longwall requires significantly fewer employees than other types of mining. And it involves massive subsidence, causing the earth to drop many inches or even feet, with often devastating consequences for the homes and farmland on top of the mine.​

So, you can make a point that I'm wrong about some coal being hard to extract - but that is 6% that is Illinois, and it comes with some significant problems.

Forum List

Back