"Educated"Blue State NY : 80% high school grads can't read!

Nearly 80 percent of New York City high school graduates need to relearn basic skills before they can enter the City University’s community college system. They had to re-learn basic skills — reading, writing and math — first before they could begin college courses.
In sheer numbers it means that nearly 11,000 kids who got diplomas from city high schools needed remedial courses to re-learn the basics.
Officials: 80 Percent Of Recent NYC High School Graduates Cannot Read « CBS New York

Best irony of week - you, of all people, trying to mock someone who lacks reading skills.

Based on the actual content of the linked article and the thread title the OP decided on, I can think of another person who is in need of some remedial reading courses.

OK I'll go REAL slow for you!!!
"Red State Voucher Schools: The Right To Be Ignorant "

NOW do you understand the concept of "compare and contrast"???? The concept of "balance"?

I will continue to "BALANCE" with FACTS the ignorance such as the above " Red State Voucher Schools: The Right To Be Ignorant "
thread proposed.. i.e. with "Blue STATE do you understand "New York" is a "blue state".. and how 80% of high school grads can't read!

NOW do you understand why my thread is "Educated" Blue State NY: 80% high school grads can't read!"

So please before you caste aspersive remarks check the log in your eye!

And just in case as I assume you are ignorant of that above aspersive remark about you..
New Living Translation (©2007)
"And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own?

Based on the actual content of the linked article and the thread title the OP decided on, I can think of another person who is in need of some remedial reading courses.

OK I'll go REAL slow for you!!!
"Red State Voucher Schools: The Right To Be Ignorant "

NOW do you understand the concept of "compare and contrast"???? The concept of "balance"?

I will continue to "BALANCE" with FACTS the ignorance such as the above " Red State Voucher Schools: The Right To Be Ignorant "
thread proposed.. i.e. with "Blue STATE do you understand "New York" is a "blue state".. and how 80% of high school grads can't read!

NOW do you understand why my thread is "Educated" Blue State NY: 80% high school grads can't read!"

So please before you caste aspersive remarks check the log in your eye!

And just in case as I assume you are ignorant of that above aspersive remark about you..
New Living Translation (©2007)
"And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own?

No, I don't understand because nowhere in the article you linked does it state that 80% of NYC high school grads can't read.

You need a remedial reading course.

Good points! I wrote this topic to "balance" the "Red State Voucher" thread!

But it truly isn't necessary for these grads to read as long as they can sign their entitlement checks!

NYC has a population just slightly over the state of Virginia and I'm sure they pay much more in taxes and get much less federal spending than Virginia does.

Well again... what f..k is problem being smart and use the Internet to keep from GUESSING????
FACTS:
New yorkers after deducting the $2,666 in federal aid per person paid $10,111 in federal taxes or 78%
Virginians.. after deducting the $1,095 in federal aid per person paid $6,042 in taxes or 86%!
Which group got a better deal???
New Yorkers who after deducting Federal aid paid 78% or Virginians who paid after aid 86%???
Hmmm.. Seems like YOUR GUESS was ALL WET!!!

Sources if you take the time to find out rather then do as most of you idiots do...GUESS!!!!
FACTS!
Federal Aid to State and Local Governments - The 2012 Statistical Abstract - U.S. Census Bureau
Table 433. Federal Aid to State and Local Governments by State: 2000 to 2009
"Table 1. Annual Estimates of the Population for the United States, Regions, States, and Puerto Rico:
April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012"
Population Estimates - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau
Federal tax revenue by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I get so tired of idiots like you spouting off stupid guesses when all you need to do is get your FACTS STRAIGHT!!!

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/ftsbs-timeseries-20071016-.pdf

This is from the conservative Tax Foundation:

New York state received $0.79 in federal spending for each tax dollar sent to the federal government in 2005. Virginia received $1.51 in federal spending for every tax dollar they sent. NYC has higher per capita wages and federal taxes than NY state and I'm sure they get less per capita federal spending than the state. If the federal spending in Virginia is cut to the NY or NYC rate, they aren't going to pay that much in taxes, because their income money to pay taxes is coming from the federal government.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

So, 11,000 represents 80% of New York City's annual total of kids graduating from high school?

So about 14,000 NYC kids per year graduate high school?

I think you could easily classify as mentally retarded if you believed that.

Last edited:
So, 11,000 represents 80% of New York City's annual total of kids graduating from high school?

So about 14,000 NYC kids per year graduate high school?

I think you could easily classify as mentally retarded if you believed that.

I guess you let that cat out of the bag and saying NYC had a population slightly larger than the state of Virginia wasn't enough.

NYC: 8,244,910, 2011 est.

VA: 8,185,867, 2012 est.

Only 0.17% of the people in NYC graduate each year, because people live to the age of Methuselah up there.

Nearly 80 percent of New York City high school graduates need to relearn basic skills before they can enter the City University’s community college system. They had to re-learn basic skills — reading, writing and math — first before they could begin college courses.
In sheer numbers it means that nearly 11,000 kids who got diplomas from city high schools needed remedial courses to re-learn the basics.
Officials: 80 Percent Of Recent NYC High School Graduates Cannot Read « CBS New York

Neither can Mississippi.

Neither can Mississippi.

They don't graduate and go to community college in Mississippi.

What makes these figures so depressing is that the graduation rate in NYC high schools is actually UP!

What makes these figures so depressing is that the graduation rate in NYC high schools is actually UP!

The figures have nothing to do with NYC high schools. The figures are a subset of graduates going to one of the 7 community colleges of the City University of New York. The City University of New York has 24 institutions, so the community colleges get the worst of the graduates going to college.

They know what's important. I would bet that every one of them knows how to masturbate. They know how to engage is anal sex as safely as possible.

Here is where it gets into foolishness. These students are sent to remedial education, then expected to enter college and perform college level course work with what is basically a 4th grade education. They learn how to read but have read few books.

But it truly isn't necessary for these grads to read as long as they can sign their entitlement checks!

NYC has a population just slightly over the state of Virginia and I'm sure they pay much more in taxes and get much less federal spending than Virginia does.

How much extra does it cost to teach a child how to read?

CC students will generally rate far worse than students accepted to the regular four year colleges and universities.

It isn't money. It's time. When you are allocating the hours in a school day, teaching students to read takes time away from teaching them the important things like the proper method of fisting or how America goes around the world killing innocent babies.

It isn't money. It's time. When you are allocating the hours in a school day, teaching students to read takes time away from teaching them the important things like the proper method of fisting or how America goes around the world killing innocent babies.

fuck off, katz, if you cannot be adult. Texas cc's have the same problem as NYC's.

How much does it cost for you right-wingers to read the OP and notice it's bullshit?

There is something viscerally abhorrent about a culture that does this to its young. These students will enter the world. Not New York, the world unable to compete with students from India, China, Japan, and expensive private schools in Europe. These students will expect that they will be supported by the efforts of others.

We have become Portugal.

Naw. Portugal's students are multilingual.
so are many of California's....yet they are still near the bottom....

fuck off, katz, if you cannot be adult. Texas cc's have the same problem as NYC's.

The last time I checked how schools were performing, those southern states were dead last in performance, but Texas has seen some recent improvement.

I doubt the average student in Texas is better than the average student in NYC.

All of the Portuguese live in a multi-lingual professional and social and daily culture.

Americans do not.

Forum List

Back