Education Expert Says College Freshmen Read at Seventh-grade Level

Daniel Donno was my English professor at Queens College in NYC back when it was free -- no tuition if you lived in NY. He was like Kingsfield from the "Paper Chase" he started class by saying, "every year NY City high schools send me people who can neither read nor write. Worse, because you don't pay, you won't appreciate the education I will give you. When I go home at night, do you know what I pray for? Tuition! I hope you will have to pay a big, fat tuition so you will appreciate this education."

Queens College got rid of free tuition the next year

If free college is a bad idea, why is free k-12 a good idea?

Most people should not even go to college. They get degrees in easy liberal arts crap that is of no use to anyone. Schools should only teach STEM and all applicants should be required to get 700+ on the math SAT.
Actually, it's the STEM students who cannot read or write coherent sentences.

BS - if you're good at math you're good at everything. OTOH the world is full of people with good verbal skills who can't even count.. THINK

Thank a union.

Insofar as Catholic school entrants into American colleges, why are their average SAT's in the 1650's? Because their schools tolerated sloth, laziness, and stupidity? I'd further guess that half of all blacks being ushered through academia's doors on their skin color don't know how to read at all...just like our president.

has all to do with political correctness, not unions

Daniel Donno was my English professor at Queens College in NYC back when it was free -- no tuition if you lived in NY. He was like Kingsfield from the "Paper Chase" he started class by saying, "every year NY City high schools send me people who can neither read nor write. Worse, because you don't pay, you won't appreciate the education I will give you. When I go home at night, do you know what I pray for? Tuition! I hope you will have to pay a big, fat tuition so you will appreciate this education."

Queens College got rid of free tuition the next year

If free college is a bad idea, why is free k-12 a good idea?

look, I had to work my ass off and save etc to get the $ to pay for my education.

Why should anyone else not be required to do that too?

reimburse me for my education and I have no problem, otherwise lol

i'm a masters plus 30

pay off my mortgage taxpayers

Most people should not even go to college. They get degrees in easy liberal arts crap that is of no use to anyone. Schools should only teach STEM and all applicants should be required to get 700+ on the math SAT.
Actually, it's the STEM students who cannot read or write coherent sentences.

BS - if you're good at math you're good at everything. OTOH the world is full of people with good verbal skills who can't even count.. THINK

If you're good at math you can be replaced by a computer, which is even better at math.

If you're fluent in language you can create content for a broad range of media. There have never been more opportunities for creators of content than there are today.

And also, if you study classic literature, and/or you have the ability to interpret the teaming layers of great art, you're absorbing time-tested lessons in ethics. There is often more truth in fiction, and deeper understanding to be gleaned from the distillations of art. Do we need more bean counters in the world, or do we need leaders ( like our founding fathers ) well versed and educated in the Classics.

"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it."- Tagore

Forum List

Back