Electric cars

You are right, but technology is moving so fast...Although I disagree with the OP I have never seen a charge station run on gas..

I am not a Hi tech guy, but I see these solar panels all over, like google ... Little tiny cars on the freeway ( I would never drive one)

The Future of Solar And Electrical Vehicles

Students design a solar-powered car that can travel more than 600 miles fully charged

Despite the limitations of batteries, the tremendous efforts devoted to research have resulted in technological breakthroughs in the development of batteries and EV prototypes. The energy density of the batteries has been extended up to 200 Wh/kg in lithium-polymer and zinc bromine batteries, a level far greater than the typical value of 40 to 50 Wh/kg for lead-acid batteries, but still far below the energy density of gasoline (Oman and Gross). The typical limited driving range of 100 miles between recharging has been surpassed by the BMWE2, which traveled 267 miles on a sodium-sulfur battery, (O'Brien, 41) and German postal trucks, which have a maximum range of 186 miles and can obtain a top speed of 66 mph (Oman and Gross, 29). There have also been improvements in recharging times and lifetime of batteries. "Quick-charging" batteries can be recharged on the order of five to fifteen minutes, depending on the level that they have been drained, though these batteries are still highly experimental (ABCs, 36)

None of the "hopey" stuff you posted is really impressive. Samsung pushed "energy density" in battery packs to it's logical flame out. It's not the weight or size of the batteries that is the problem, it's the cost and LIFETIME.

Have you SEEN the car that those students designed? I did.. It's a bike frame with a fiber shell. NOT a car. Good for students. Kudos. BAD for an honest appraisal of how fast this technology is gonna grow anymore. It's pretty much matured. Otherwise some MAJOR auto factory would be PROJECTING higher ranges.

Better chance of saving gasoline is NOT to use the grid at all to replace it. Hydrogen fuel cell cars DO have a lot of room left for improvements. And several majors are prioritizing them HIGHER than battery cars. And you can make Hydrogen for virtually NOTHING off grid with wind and solar and store it. It's a better SYSTEM design..

Like I said, I am not a hi tech guy.. and from what I have been reading you are correct..

We are in the pioneer stage though , exciting too.

But...will you agree that they do not use gas like the OP suggests?

That's the point. We are NOT in a "pioneer stage". Not with PV solar panels and not with EVehicles. It's a fairly MATURE technology. Where there might be some "specialty" products that are not as cost or safety sensitive.

Solar panel tech. ITSELF has hit a plateau. It's the Manufacturing engineering and market scale that is driving costs down. That student car is largely a PR stunt. The "panels" on the vehicle aren't doing much. Especially not the way they slope back on the car. Only 1/2 of them are ever in the "prime angle" to capture sun during the day depending on which direction the car is driving. And they would almost DOUBLE the production cost of the vehicle, make it IMPOSSIBLE to Insure for collision, and probably BLIND other drivers in traffic with reflections off of the roof.

Any questions?

14364739_1940010566225960_1321892533538141307_n.jpg
A Prius is a hybrid. So, if it needed a charge, something else is wrong.

You are right, but technology is moving so fast...Although I disagree with the OP I have never seen a charge station run on gas..

I am not a Hi tech guy, but I see these solar panels all over, like google ... Little tiny cars on the freeway ( I would never drive one)

Students design a solar-powered car that can travel more than 600 miles fully charged

Despite the limitations of batteries, the tremendous efforts devoted to research have resulted in technological breakthroughs in the development of batteries and EV prototypes. The energy density of the batteries has been extended up to 200 Wh/kg in lithium-polymer and zinc bromine batteries, a level far greater than the typical value of 40 to 50 Wh/kg for lead-acid batteries, but still far below the energy density of gasoline (Oman and Gross). The typical limited driving range of 100 miles between recharging has been surpassed by the BMWE2, which traveled 267 miles on a sodium-sulfur battery, (O'Brien, 41) and German postal trucks, which have a maximum range of 186 miles and can obtain a top speed of 66 mph (Oman and Gross, 29). There have also been improvements in recharging times and lifetime of batteries. "Quick-charging" batteries can be recharged on the order of five to fifteen minutes, depending on the level that they have been drained, though these batteries are still highly experimental (ABCs, 36)

None of the "hopey" stuff you posted is really impressive. Samsung pushed "energy density" in battery packs to it's logical flame out. It's not the weight or size of the batteries that is the problem, it's the cost and LIFETIME.

Have you SEEN the car that those students designed? I did.. It's a bike frame with a fiber shell. NOT a car. Good for students. Kudos. BAD for an honest appraisal of how fast this technology is gonna grow anymore. It's pretty much matured. Otherwise some MAJOR auto factory would be PROJECTING higher ranges.

Better chance of saving gasoline is NOT to use the grid at all to replace it. Hydrogen fuel cell cars DO have a lot of room left for improvements. And several majors are prioritizing them HIGHER than battery cars. And you can make Hydrogen for virtually NOTHING off grid with wind and solar and store it. It's a better SYSTEM design..

Like I said, I am not a hi tech guy.. and from what I have been reading you are correct..

That's the point. We are NOT in a "pioneer stage". Not with PV solar panels and not with EVehicles. It's a fairly MATURE technology. Where there might be some "specialty" products that are not as cost or safety sensitive.

Solar panel tech. ITSELF has hit a plateau. It's the Manufacturing engineering and market scale that is driving costs down. That student car is largely a PR stunt. The "panels" on the vehicle aren't doing much. Especially not the way they slope back on the car. Only 1/2 of them are ever in the "prime angle" to capture sun during the day depending on which direction the car is driving. And they would almost DOUBLE the production cost of the vehicle, make it IMPOSSIBLE to Insure for collision, and probably BLIND other drivers in traffic with reflections off of the roof.

What about windmills?

What about windmills?

Bird killers for one thing. For another, they're not economically feasible, which is why less than 5% of electricity is generated with them, despite the heavy subsidization.

For now, we need fossil fuels. Drill baby!

Does that pic in the op look like its in the woods? And what powers your charger?

I will wait for you to post a link for that specific charger.

Here I posted a link in my original post..

car charging centers - Google Search

They are advancing everyday, some cars can be charged with solar power..

Solar Powered Cars - Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

I asked for specific...

You gave me propaganda..

Again...

The U. S. Uses 91% fossil fuel, 9% green energy most of it hydro and bio fuel.

Well now, someone else that likes stinky facts, pulled straight from their ass.

Coal 33%
Natural gas 33%
Nuclear 20%
Hydropower 6%
Renewables 7%
Petroleum 1%
Other gases <1%

What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Tesla, America's finest coal powered car.
Since coal accounts for only 33% of the present grid, and that percentage is rapidly declining, that really qualifies as a lie.

Oh for christsake, are you really that humorless?

The vast majority of our electricity comes from fossil fuels, the same source that powers electric cars.

When you combine that with the toxins in all those batteries, which will someday be in landfills, electric cars are not the green machines they're made out to be. That's the point I was making.

Try to lighten up Francis.

main.png

Wind, natural gas, and solar made up almost all new electric generation capacity in 2015, accounting for 41%, 30%, and 26% of total additions, respectively, according to preliminary data. The data also show a record amount of distributed solar photovoltaic (PV) capacity was added on rooftops throughout the country in 2015. The trend of wind, natural gas, and solar additions making up most new capacity is likely to continue in 2016.

chart6.png

Wind adds the most electric generation capacity in 2015, followed by natural gas and solar - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Looks like coal is no longer a player. And wind and solar are both coming on strong.

Since coal accounts for only 33% of the present grid, and that percentage is rapidly declining, that really qualifies as a lie.

The vast majority of our electricity comes from fossil fuels, the same source that powers electric cars.

When you combine that with the toxins in all those batteries, which will someday be in landfills, electric cars are not the green machines they're made out to be. That's the point I was making.

There they will join the hundreds of millions of lead acid batteries in the land fills, right? No, of course not, the lithium batteries will be recycled just as the lead acid batteries are. Amazing, here we have a new technology in which America is way ahead of everybody, and the car is almost 100% made in America, yet you 'Conservatives' are shitting all over yourselves to say bad things about it.

There they will join the hundreds of millions of lead acid batteries in the land fills, right? No, of course not, the lithium batteries will be recycled just as the lead acid batteries are. Amazing, here we have a new technology in which America is way ahead of everybody, and the car is almost 100% made in America, yet you 'Conservatives' are shitting all over yourselves to say bad things about it.

I'm not saying bad things about electric cars. I love the technology from a performance aspect. Full electric cars are however, not as green as many suggest. That's my only point.

Guess you really are the humorless???

Thank you Old Rocks...I was sinking with my lack of knowledge..I see those charge stations everywhere in silicon valley, even in Minnesota when I went for a visit.

The sheer numbers related to mere economizing in the U.S. surpasses the slightest need for nuclear.

You are not? Then why did you not note that by that graph, the very large increase in residential solar, the rapidly declining price of the units, and the advent of the home battery units like the Powerwall will soon make it possible for a homeowner to power both his home and transportation with solar. Do you not cheer any advance that makes the citizen more independent of the large corporations?

The sheer numbers related to mere economizing in the U.S. surpasses the slightest need for nuclear.
We have a vast power surplus when you combine the wind potential in central plains from Texas to the Canadian border. Add in solar from the southern states, and there is no need of nuclear or fossil fuels. All we need is a grid from the sources to where the people are.

Does that pic in the op look like its in the woods? And what powers your charger?

I asked for specific...

You gave me propaganda..

Again...

Coal 33%
Natural gas 33%
Nuclear 20%
Hydropower 6%
Renewables 7%
Petroleum 1%
Other gases <1%

What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

What a fibber

Renewable energy to hit 9 percent of U.S. total in 2017
by Stephen Edelstein, Contributing Writer
11/10/2016

Share This:

photovoltaic-solar-power-field-at-volkswagen-plant-in-chattanooga-tennessee_100417018_l.jpg

U.S. renewable-energy generating capacity is not only growing, but it is beginning to erode coal's share of the electricity-generating mix, according to new data from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).

The agency predicts renewable energy—particularly solar power—to continue growing.

At the same time, a combination of renewable energy and natural gas are expected to further decrease the amount of coal used to generate electricity.

DON'T MISS: Renewable energy growth accelerating, says International Energy Agency

In 2017, renewable energy should account for 9 percent of U.S. electricity-generation capacity, according to the DOE's most recent Short-Term Energy Outlook.

That's up from 8 percent this year, the agency says.

Solar power is expected to account for most of the anticipated growth.

I asked for specific...

You gave me propaganda..

Again...

Coal 33%
Natural gas 33%
Nuclear 20%
Hydropower 6%
Renewables 7%
Petroleum 1%
Other gases <1%

What a fibber

11/10/2016

Share This:

photovoltaic-solar-power-field-at-volkswagen-plant-in-chattanooga-tennessee_100417018_l.jpg

U.S. renewable-energy generating capacity is not only growing, but it is beginning to erode coal's share of the electricity-generating mix, according to new data from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).

The agency predicts renewable energy—particularly solar power—to continue growing.

At the same time, a combination of renewable energy and natural gas are expected to further decrease the amount of coal used to generate electricity.

DON'T MISS: Renewable energy growth accelerating, says International Energy Agency

In 2017, renewable energy should account for 9 percent of U.S. electricity-generation capacity, according to the DOE's most recent Short-Term Energy Outlook.

Renewable Energy - IER

According to the Energy Information Administration, “renewable energy refers to resources that are replenished in a relatively short period of time.” Renewable energy sources include hydropower, wood biomass (used to generate heat and electricity), alternative biomass fuels (such as ethanol and biodiesel), waste, geothermal, wind, and solar.

The use of renewable fuels dates to Neolithic times, when cave dwellers made fire from wood and other biomass for cooking and heating. For thousands of years thereafter, renewable energy was all humans used. The small amounts of energy accessible to humans through traditional dispersed renewable energy sources meant that for millennia, human lives remained unchanged. Today, many are seeking to use technology made possible by modern, concentrated energy forms to capture and harness dispersed renewable energy potential into concentrated forms. Renewable energy relies upon the natural forces at work upon the earth, including the internal heat represented by geothermal, the pull of lunar gravity as it affects the potential for tidal power, and solar radiation such as that stored through photosynthesis in biomass.

Renewable Energy in the US

About 9.9 percent of all energy consumed in the United States in 2015 was from renewable sources, and they account for about 13.4 percent of the nation’s total electricity production[ii].

While a relatively small fraction of our overall energy supply in 2012 (the most recent data from the Energy Information Administration), the United States was the world’s largest consumer of renewable energy from geothermal, solar, wood, wind, and waste for electric power generation producing 22% of the world’s total. In 2015, the distribution of U.S. renewable consumption by source was [iii]:

• Hydropower 25%
    • Biomass Wood 21%
    • Biomass Waste 5%
    • Biomass Biofuels 22%
    • Wind 19%
    • Geothermal 2%
    • Solar 5%

I asked for specific...

You gave me propaganda..

Again...

Coal 33%
Natural gas 33%
Nuclear 20%
Hydropower 6%
Renewables 7%
Petroleum 1%
Other gases <1%

What a fibber

11/10/2016

Share This:

Renewable Energy - IER

According to the Energy Information Administration, “renewable energy refers to resources that are replenished in a relatively short period of time.” Renewable energy sources include hydropower, wood biomass (used to generate heat and electricity), alternative biomass fuels (such as ethanol and biodiesel), waste, geothermal, wind, and solar.

The use of renewable fuels dates to Neolithic times, when cave dwellers made fire from wood and other biomass for cooking and heating. For thousands of years thereafter, renewable energy was all humans used. The small amounts of energy accessible to humans through traditional dispersed renewable energy sources meant that for millennia, human lives remained unchanged. Today, many are seeking to use technology made possible by modern, concentrated energy forms to capture and harness dispersed renewable energy potential into concentrated forms. Renewable energy relies upon the natural forces at work upon the earth, including the internal heat represented by geothermal, the pull of lunar gravity as it affects the potential for tidal power, and solar radiation such as that stored through photosynthesis in biomass.

About 9.9 percent of all energy consumed in the United States in 2015 was from renewable sources, and they account for about 13.4 percent of the nation’s total electricity production[ii].

While a relatively small fraction of our overall energy supply in 2012 (the most recent data from the Energy Information Administration), the United States was the world’s largest consumer of renewable energy from geothermal, solar, wood, wind, and waste for electric power generation producing 22% of the world’s total. In 2015, the distribution of U.S. renewable consumption by source was [iii]:

• Hydropower 25%
    • Biomass Wood 21%
    • Biomass Waste 5%
    • Biomass Biofuels 22%
    • Wind 19%
    • Geothermal 2%
    • Solar 5%

yep.........renewables pretty damn pathetic. You read these astounding growth rates in the paper but it is miniscule compared to other forms of energy, especially solar. Most Americans have no clue how laughable solar energy is still.............

I asked for specific...

You gave me propaganda..

Again...

Coal 33%
Natural gas 33%
Nuclear 20%
Hydropower 6%
Renewables 7%
Petroleum 1%
Other gases <1%

What a fibber

11/10/2016

Share This:

Renewable Energy - IER

• Hydropower 25%
    • Biomass Wood 21%
    • Biomass Waste 5%
    • Biomass Biofuels 22%
    • Wind 19%
    • Geothermal 2%
    • Solar 5%

yep.........renewables pretty damn pathetic. You read these astounding growth rates in the paper but it is miniscule compared to other forms of energy, especially solar. Most Americans have no clue how laughable solar energy is still.............

Yup and they get extremely sensitive when you point out their little electric cars need fuel to produce the electricity... Not to mind you our idiot government classifys "electricity " as a fuel.

Forum List

Back