Electronics vs. Legacy Products

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Something occurred to me today as I was filling up my Mazda. I was in North Phoenix and the gas station sold cigarettes and also these new electronic cigarettes. I have never smoked tobacco before but I was curious about something....there are 3-4 different types of every cigarette behind the counter, Marlboro, Winston, etc... Yet these companies are not making these Electronic products....

Doesn't that seem strange to you? I mean, here is a direct threat to their customer base that could offer a more acceptable alternative (if nothing else, the odor is much less pungent) and cut into their market share of folks willing to put one of these things in their mouth (a group that is much smaller than it used to be anyway). You'd figure they'd be fighting tooth and nail to keep the smokers they have on the hook already....

Anyway, the Chevron I was at (as I pumped my gas), was pretty basic.I didn't notice if it had one or not but there were no re-charging stations for electric cars at this location either. I understand that it takes a lot longer to charge a car than to have a smoke but the same thing seems to be happening here. I have noticed charging stations around the country during my travels. None of these seem to have Chevron or BP or Exxon brands on them.

It sure does seem like these companies are missing out on their future markets.

Just an observation

Something occurred to me today as I was filling up my Mazda. I was in North Phoenix and the gas station sold cigarettes and also these new electronic cigarettes. I have never smoked tobacco before but I was curious about something....there are 3-4 different types of every cigarette behind the counter, Marlboro, Winston, etc... Yet these companies are not making these Electronic products....

Doesn't that seem strange to you? I mean, here is a direct threat to their customer base that could offer a more acceptable alternative (if nothing else, the odor is much less pungent) and cut into their market share of folks willing to put one of these things in their mouth (a group that is much smaller than it used to be anyway). You'd figure they'd be fighting tooth and nail to keep the smokers they have on the hook already....

Anyway, the Chevron I was at (as I pumped my gas), was pretty basic.I didn't notice if it had one or not but there were no re-charging stations for electric cars at this location either. I understand that it takes a lot longer to charge a car than to have a smoke but the same thing seems to be happening here. I have noticed charging stations around the country during my travels. None of these seem to have Chevron or BP or Exxon brands on them.

Just an observation
The future of tobacco is bleak. E-cigs don't cater to the same market.

Cigarette smokers are addicts, and E-cig smokers are recreational. An e-cig can never replace a real cigarette.

I'll take your word for that.

But it seems to me that a product like beer solved this long ago. Just one maker, Anheuser Busch makes these products:
AluminumBottleFamily.jpg

I'm not much of a beer drinker but there seems to be a beer for every mood. Not pictured are the more covert offerings such as the non-alcoholic beers, malt liquors, the "platinum" beers, the Busch products which are economy priced etc.... If what you say is the case (and I don't doubt it) wouldn't it make sense to have a presence in the "recreational" market?

Also, if the number of smokers is dwindling, wouldn't your future earnings be worth offering such products?

I'll take your word for that.

But it seems to me that a product like beer solved this long ago. Just one maker, Anheuser Busch makes these products:
AluminumBottleFamily.jpg

I'm not much of a beer drinker but there seems to be a beer for every mood. Not pictured are the more covert offerings such as the non-alcoholic beers, malt liquors, the "platinum" beers, the Busch products which are economy priced etc.... If what you say is the case (and I don't doubt it) wouldn't it make sense to have a presence in the "recreational" market?

Also, if the number of smokers is dwindling, wouldn't your future earnings be worth offering such products?
Well beer or any alcohol makes you feel increasingly great the more you drink. Cigarettes don't really do anything besides getting you addicted and being a social thing for people who are addicted.

Tobacco is obsolete. Now marijuana...

Just an observation
Go ask for a hot dog at Mickey D's.

I don't really think there's a future in charging stations. It's kind of wrongheaded.

Actually, the major cigarette companies have started making electronic cigarettes. They're just not selling them under the same brand names. RJ Reynolds makes one called "Vuse" and Philip Morris has the "MarkTen". I tried the MarkTen, which is very similar to smoking an actual cigarette, but it tastes awful, IMO.

Just an observation
Go ask for a hot dog at Mickey D's.

Thats what I mean: They tried it...

hot-dog.jpg

There seems to be no such overt effort on the fronts I mentioned.

Just an observation

Cigarette smokers are addicts, and E-cig smokers are recreational. An e-cig can never replace a real cigarette.
I was a heavy cigarette smoker
I picked up an ecig and never had a tobacco cigarette again. Never wanted one.

PSA to stoners. Do not use an ecig atomizer for marijuana oil. It will explode. There are marijuana atomizers. They are expensive. They are worth not losing a couple of fingers.

Smoking a Sharpie...that sounds like a 3 Stooges routine!

Then again, my grandmother (smoked Benson and Hedges) once likened the Capri Ultra Light she tried to "smoking toilet paper".

Just an observation

Damn dude you are never right about anything,

Vapors are not Recreational it has nicotine in them highly addictive just like smokes

The Ampersand Tide

TDK is a Japanese company that has distributed millions of compact audio cassettes in the consumerism-explosive 1980s.

America didn't drown during the 1980s when faced with Japanese competition (electronics, automobiles, etc.), since American pioneer Steve Jobs was developing the high-demand Apple Macintosh personal computer, and visionary American company Duracell was outselling almost all competitors in the consumer batteries industry.

In other words, it seems that you can argue that America's special brand of Robin Hood capitalism can ironically leave room for a lot of laissez-faire industriousness: "We at Marlboro were very satisfied with continued marketing of regular tobacco cigarettes and felt no capital sweat from electronic cigarette competitor companies."

Isn't it ironic that you can find the human factor just about anywhere in the consumerism era?

By the way, why did candy cigarettes stop being popular?

:afro:

Macintosh

mac.jpg

TDK is a Japanese company that has distributed millions of compact audio cassettes in the consumerism-explosive 1980s.

America didn't drown during the 1980s when faced with Japanese competition (electronics, automobiles, etc.), since American pioneer Steve Jobs was developing the high-demand Apple Macintosh personal computer, and visionary American company Duracell was outselling almost all competitors in the consumer batteries industry.

In other words, it seems that you can argue that America's special brand of Robin Hood capitalism can ironically leave room for a lot of laissez-faire industriousness: "We at Marlboro were very satisfied with continued marketing of regular tobacco cigarettes and felt no capital sweat from electronic cigarette competitor companies."

Isn't it ironic that you can find the human factor just about anywhere in the consumerism era?

By the way, why did candy cigarettes stop being popular?
That was ALMOST coherent.

Forum List

Back