Email shows effort to shield bin Laden photos

All you need to know

All YOU need to know.

Tim McVeigh was executed....I never got to see the pictures
None of my business and I have no need to know

Same with Bin Laden

I wouldn't say its none of your business. There certainly is good reason to show the pictures. The question is does the benefit outweigh the risk. The people with a clear view of the situation on the ground have decided no. I choose to trust their judgment.

The US Federal government should release the bin Laden photos with an official apology to the entire world for Operation Cyclone and the training of bin Laden.

His handlers in witness protection should just get Binny to lie down and hold his breath for a "dead" photo. I'm sure they'd all get a good laugh out of it.

His handlers in witness protection should just get Binny to lie down and hold his breath for a "dead" photo. I'm sure they'd all get a good laugh out of it.

Actually, if you and the others had bothered to read some of the links I provided it is more likely OBL died way before the raid of Kidney failure. I think he may have died at Tora Bora but no way to tell.

So yeah, someone was killed that night and the guy who says he killed him didn't know if it was OBL, could have been anyone. Measuring the reaction in the ME my opinion is that it was not OBL he was already dead.

All YOU need to know.

Same with Bin Laden

I wouldn't say its none of your business. There certainly is good reason to show the pictures. The question is does the benefit outweigh the risk. The people with a clear view of the situation on the ground have decided no. I choose to trust their judgment.

You keep saying there is a risk, there is no risk they already have plenty of reason for violence.

Last edited:
I disagree with [MENTION=33456]Freewill[/MENTION] on pretty much everything... but not this!

Why won't they show the damn photos and lay the dead dog to rest?

At least give us a reason! Is it because his face is splattered all over the place? Because that's exactly what I'd want to see!

This has "conspiracy" written all over it

Think about what might happen in the middle east as a reaction to pictures of bin Laden's mangled corpse on the front page of every newspaper in the world.

Kinda like when the liberal media showed the pictures of the gitmo prisoners? Were you outraged then too?

I'm getting a whiff of someone who is so eaten up with government conspiracy theories, he/she can't burp without worrying that the government has sucked up a DNA sample.

I suggest:

1) decaf
2) a long walk outdoors
3) a hiatus from relaying your concerns to sane people.

Same with Bin Laden

You keep saying there is a risk, there is no risk they already have plenty of reason for violence.

That's you saying that, but you're not privy to enough information to make that judgment call. The government is telling us that they determined there is a significant enough risk that they release the photos. In this case I chose to believe them.

I disagree with [MENTION=33456]Freewill[/MENTION] on pretty much everything... but not this!

Why won't they show the damn photos and lay the dead dog to rest?

At least give us a reason! Is it because his face is splattered all over the place? Because that's exactly what I'd want to see!

This has "conspiracy" written all over it

Think about what might happen in the middle east as a reaction to pictures of bin Laden's mangled corpse on the front page of every newspaper in the world.

Kinda like when the liberal media showed the pictures of the gitmo prisoners? Were you outraged then too?

Not much of a chance that would cause riots.

How many watched bin Laden die?

According to the link I provided the man who shot him first didn't recognize him as OBL and he didn't say anyone else did.

In the link you edited out all the rest of the 60 minute interiew where he details how they knew it was bin Laden

Kind of deceptive on your part, don't ya think?

Actually that is all that was in the link provided. But here is the rest, note, none of the SEALS recognized him and the SEAL said he didn't look old enough. But they did get conformation for a very good source people who would have no reason to lie.

SEAL's first-hand account of bin Laden killing - Page 7 - CBS News

Mark Owen: Yup.

Scott Pelley: What did you do then?

Mark Owen: Inside the room, I could see a body laying on the ground. Over him was two females, real close to the door. They looked up and saw the point man. He steps into the room, literally rushes the two women, grabs one under each arm, and pushes them back against the far wall. So if they did have a suicide vest on, and they did blow themselves up, that they wouldn't-- that wouldn't affect the rest of the guys.

Scott Pelley: But it would have killed him?

Mark Owen: Yeah.

Scott Pelley: You stepped into the room and saw the man lying on the floor? What did you do?

Mark Owen: Myself and the next assaulter in, we both engaged him several more times and then rolled off and then continued clearing the room.

Scott Pelley: When you say you engaged him, what do you mean?

Mark Owen: Fired.

Scott Pelley: You shot him?

Mark Owen: Yeah.

Scott Pelley: He's still moving?

Mark Owen: A little bit. But you couldn't see his arms. Couldn't see his hands. So, he could've had something. Could've had a hand grenade or something underneath his chest.

Scott Pelley: So, after Osama bin Laden is wounded, he's still moving. You shot him twice?

Mark Owen: A handful of times.

Scott Pelley: A handful of times, and the SEAL in the stack behind you also shot Osama bin Laden. And at that point, his body was still?

Mark Owen: Yes.

Scott Pelley: Did you recognize him?

Mark Owen: Nope. You know, everybody thinks it was, like, you know it's him. No. To us, at that time, it could have been anybody. Maybe this was another brother. Maybe this is a bodyguard. Maybe, it doesn't matter. The point is to just continue clearing.

By now, 20 minutes had passed. Every single thing the woman with the CIA had told them on the plane had been right. But time was running out, throughout the raid, the remaining helicopter was in the air. It only had enough gas to stay for 30 minutes or so. Pakistani neighbors had discovered the SEALs posted outside the compound wall. And it couldn't be long before the Pakistani military would know they were there. One SEAL was charged with keeping an eye on his wristwatch and calling out the dwindling time on the radio, "20 minutes, 15, 10..." We'll be right back.

As time was slipping away, Mark Owen and a couple of other members of SEAL Team 6 kneeled around a mangled body on the third floor of the house in Abbottabad, Pakistan. Everything the CIA analyst told them about the raid on Osama bin Laden's house had checked out exactly as she said. But was this bin Laden?

Mark Owen: In my mind, he looked way younger than I thought he was going to be. His beard wasn't gray at all. You know, I'd studied lots of photos of him. And, you know, they were always gray. His beard was dark black. Identifiably, he was very tall. So, OK, you know, you can kind of chalk that up as something.

Scott Pelley: Bin Laden was about 6-foot-4.

Mark Owen: Right. His nose to me was something that I could kind of identify. So, you know, kind of looking at the profile shots and everything, I was like, "OK," I was pretty sure that was him. But, you know, I'm not willing to make that call. Certainly not at that point.

Not willing because Owen says they suspected the president was listening at the White House. And he was right. The helicopter crash had been reported up the chain of command. Owen says the SEALs wanted proof before anyone said anything on the radio about killing Osama bin Laden. They turned to one of the SEALs in the room who spoke Arabic.

Mark Owen: So he moved out to where the women and kids were, grabs one of the younger kids. Says, "Hey, who is that inside?" She says, "Osama." "Osama who?" "Osama bin Laden."

Scott Pelley: The child?

Mark Owen: The child.

Scott Pelley: Identified him?

Mark Owen: Yep. Grabbed one of the females, again asked her, "Hey, who is that?" She said, "Osama bin Laden."

Truthfully, does his account jive with what you thought actually happened? They apparently shot a man in the back lying on the floor, according to Owen.

Last edited:

Actually, if you and the others had bothered to read some of the links I provided it is more likely OBL died way before the raid of Kidney failure. I think he may have died at Tora Bora but no way to tell.

But, Osama bin Laden expert that you are, you will be able to tell from a government photograph if the dead guy with the hole in his face is Osama and that the photo is genuine and was taken on the night in question. Right?

And no birther whackjob type people will take that photograph and invent all kinds of wild and hysterical stories around it. Right? And if they did, you wouldn't buy into any of it. Right? :lol:

Last edited:

But, Osama bin Laden expert that you are, you will be able to tell from a government photograph if the dead guy with the hole in his face is Osama and that the photo is genuine and was taken on the night in question. Right?

And no birther whackjob type people will take that photograph and invent all kinds of wild and hysterical stories around it. Right? And if they did, you wouldn't buy into any of it. Right?

Good point. One would have to trust the government that the photo provided would be authentic as well.

The government is in better position to make the assessment of risk in this case. You either believe them or you don't. Freewill has chosen not to.

And no birther whackjob type people will take that photograph and invent all kinds of wild and hysterical stories around it. Right? And if they did, you wouldn't buy into any of it. Right?

Good point. One would have to trust the government that the photo provided would be authentic as well.

The government is in better position to make the assessment of risk in this case. You either believe them or you don't. Freewill has chosen not to.

"It's turtles all the way down."

"It's turtles all the way down."

That's why I like when you post. I learn something every time .

Forum List

Back