Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill

Employers could impose hefty penalties on employees who decline to participate in genetic testing as part of workplace wellness programs if a bill approved by a U.S. House committee this week becomes law.

In general, employers don't have that power under existing federal laws, which protect genetic privacy and nondiscrimination. But a bill passed Wednesday by the House Committee on Education and the Workforce would allow employers to get around those obstacles if the information is collected as part of a workplace wellness program.

Such programs — which offer workers a variety of carrots and sticks to monitor and improve their health, such as lowering cholesterol — have become increasingly popular with companies. Some offer discounts on health insurance to employees who complete health-risk assessments. Others might charge people more for smoking. Under the Affordable Care Act, employers are allowed to discount health insurance premiums by up to 30 percent — and in some cases 50 percent — for employees who voluntarily participate in a wellness program where they're required to meet certain health targets.
Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill

You need to get rid of every nitwit in the House. Make that a priority to pay attention to these clowns.

Well how do they know if they want to terminate you life, if they can't get genetic testing done? It seems perfectly reason for a Nazi state to impose genetic testing, to me.

The federal government can never be trusted… Fact

It cost me around $280 a month and a $200 a year pr. member deductible for a family of six in 1994, great coverage .. then Americans got sue happy and government decided to help out...:uhh:
Your employer paid the other +/-75% of the cost...

In 2000 it was $32 a month for my health care insurance, 80% coverage with a $200 deductible, when I added Matt to it, it was $110 a month.... my employer paid the rest of the bill or the super majority of the bill.

by 2006 our health care insurance for the two of us $320 a month, with 70% coverage and a $2000 deductible/out of pocket each, with the employer paying the most.

Since 2000 our health care insurance costs have gone up with double digit percentage increases every single year....:(

It cost me around $280 a month and a $200 a year pr. member deductible for a family of six in 1994, great coverage .. then Americans got sue happy and government decided to help out...:uhh:

In 2000 it was $32 a month for my health care insurance, 80% coverage with a $200 deductible, when I added Matt to it, it was $110 a month.... my employer paid the rest of the bill or the super majority of the bill.

by 2006 our health care insurance for the two of us $320 a month, with 70% coverage and a $2000 deductible/out of pocket each, with the employer paying the most.

Since 2000 our health care insurance costs have gone up with double digit percentage increases every single year....:(

Thank you Care4all, no doubt there's a huge problem and neither party is working together to solve it. Neither party can be honest and admit that they screwed things up because politically the other side will take advantage.. ergo and sadly things will only get worse, your prefered party to blame will get blamed and the country will end up going over the economic cliff.

Personally I believe Trump could change things up but with so much hate and politics going on he'll recognize that he's wasting his time and move on, if that happens the canary died and the country goes back to standard gutless politicians and the elites that own them.. I'm just glad I lived during the best of times in America, sad for my kids though.

Thank you Care4all, no doubt there's a huge problem and neither party is working together to solve it. Neither party can be honest and admit that they screwed things up because politically the other side will take advantage.. ergo and sadly things will only get worse, your prefered party to blame will get blamed and the country will end up going over the economic cliff.

Personally I believe Trump could change things up but with so much hate and politics going on he'll recognize that he's wasting his time and move on, if that happens the canary died and the country goes back to standard gutless politicians and the elites that own them.. I'm just glad I lived during the best of times in America, sad for my kids though.
Many people laughed at President Trump when he said healthcare is a very complicated issue, but in fact it is such a complicated problem it is foolish to think Congress or the President can ever "solve" it. What can be done is to provide some improvements where the present system needs improving and remove some flaws, which is what the Congress is trying to do right now, but healthcare will always be a work in progress.

Forum List

Back