English Language Requirement for Store Front Signs in Predominately Asian Community

Speaking of authoritarians.
Ever occur to you these businesses don't care about people who can't read their language?

You see this as authoritarian? :cuckoo: I've never heard of a good business person who didn't welcome anyone who wants to buy from them regardless of language, culture, ethnicity, etc. The authoritian would be the one who would not welcome business from someone because of his background.

Without meaning to stereotype, Asians are known world wide as being extremely successful shop keepers and merchants; I've never been to an Asian run shop that wasn't welcoming of my business.

No, you dont get it. You dont get to decide how people run their own businesses. If you ever got off your ass and decided to open one, you could do it any way you wanted and I wouldn't say a word.

Wow - Having a sign in the vernacular of the local infrastructure is "deciding how people run their own business"?

Right, because how you run the business inside your own doors is entirely dependent on what the sign says outside. :cuckoo:

The same thing happened in an Asian enclave in New York. It isn't a service for non asians. Its so emergency workers, police, firefighters and ambulances can locate the emergency.

Since the change in signage is primarily for their benefit, why make them change ? If they don't want emergency workers to find them, so what. Screw 'em.

We have a system in New York that helps people locate places.

We give those places something called an "Address".

Ever heard of it?

It's a pretty simple method of numbering locations so they are easily found.

Can't help it --- this thread makes me think of this:

50485.jpg

Six Mistranslations that Changed the World

Generations of immigrants assimilated and did wonderfully in America.

Now suddenly it's too hard.

I have far more faith in people than you do.

What EXACTLY do you mean by assimilate? I know what the dictionary says it means, but what does it mean to you here in this instance...?

It means precisely what what it meant for those generations, look it up. And even better for them, the hard work, standards, expecations and discipline it took to assimilate quickly prepared them beautifully to be successful and happy Americans and to contribute so well to a dynamic and growing economy.

So much for that idea.

New (legal) immigrants are still assimilating. Don't panic. They are still doing so despite the efforts of liberals and far too many in academia to discourage it.

You see this as authoritarian? :cuckoo: I've never heard of a good business person who didn't welcome anyone who wants to buy from them regardless of language, culture, ethnicity, etc. The authoritian would be the one who would not welcome business from someone because of his background.

Without meaning to stereotype, Asians are known world wide as being extremely successful shop keepers and merchants; I've never been to an Asian run shop that wasn't welcoming of my business.

No, you dont get it. You dont get to decide how people run their own businesses. If you ever got off your ass and decided to open one, you could do it any way you wanted and I wouldn't say a word.

Wow - Having a sign in the vernacular of the local infrastructure is "deciding how people run their own business"?

Right, because how you run the business inside your own doors is entirely dependent on what the sign says outside. :cuckoo:

The sign outside doesn't belong to the owner of the establishment?

Forum List

Back