English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
what other nation on this earth goes as far as we do to communicate with people that don't speak the native language?

All of them do..in Japan it is a requirement of their schools to learn at least 5 languages and one of the is usually English. In China they learn several languages including English. In most European countries English is also a requirement. In fact, the US goes to much less effort than other countries do. Even in Latin America in public school English is at least a minimal requirement.

It is also the same in Europe, but traveling in Europe, if you addressed a person in their native language they would not for the most part, talk to you. However, we live in America, and in America we speak english and anyone entering this country should have atleast a working knowledge of english.

Coolbreeze, and the same can be said for a lot of Americans traveling abroad..for some wierd reason not only do they insist that everyone speak perfect American English they also want them to do the same when they visit other countries and get offended when there is no one who speaks perfect English. I have watched it in action right here in San Pedro Sula. The gentlemen said to the guy who was a taxi driver*remember taxi drivers aren't exactly educated folks* I need a taxi driver that speaks English...no no ingles señor and the guy was ticked that he couldn't find someone who could court to his need. He turned and looked at me and said they need to learn English...I looked back at him flatly in my southern accent and said, no, you need to learn Spanish. It was one of those times that I took advantage of this learn English crap...people don't learn English overnight just like you would not learn Spanish overnight and never in your lifetime will you likely learn perfect Spanish if you were to try.

If you live in America? Or if you live in the USA? America is a continent, the USA is the country in the Americas.

Nope.

There are two continents with "America" in their name, North America and South America.

The United States of America is commonly referred to as "America," it is the only nation on the planet to be termed "America." "Americans" are citizens of the United States, no other country has peoples termed "Americans."

Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While it will better your future it should not be a law...no one should be forced to speak anything they don't want to.

I realize that you're stupid, but official status doesn't force anyone to speak anything, it simply designates that all official business will be conducted in said language.

If you live in America? Or if you live in the USA? America is a continent, the USA is the country in the Americas.

Nope.

There are two continents with "America" in their name, North America and South America.

The United States of America is commonly referred to as "America," it is the only nation on the planet to be termed "America." "Americans" are citizens of the United States, no other country has peoples termed "Americans."

Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While it will better your future it should not be a law...no one should be forced to speak anything they don't want to.

I realize that you're stupid, but official status doesn't force anyone to speak anything, it simply designates that all official business will be conducted in said language.

Actually usually only folks inside the US refer to it as America and not everyone there either. Anyone with a miniscule amount of knowledge realizes the difference in USA and America... Don't site Wiki that is one of the worst citations you can pick on the net. It is also illegal to dictate what language business is conducted in official or not...that has already been decided by the US supreme court which is why Social security provides translated documents as well as voter ballots being printed in other languages.

And that's the way it is. Most immigrants do learn English

So you've never been to California or Arizona, huh?

and it is required for citizenship.

I'm sure 25 million illegals are real concerned with that provision.

What it ISN'T required for is AFDC, SSI, Food Stamps, WIC, voting, property ownership, court actions or getting a high school diploma.

However, many immigrants, like many Americans have difficulty in learning another language. Penalizing people and denying them access to Govt assistance that they pay taxes for is just plain vindictive.
We have gone over 200 years without making English the official language. There is no reason to do so now

For the vast majority of that period, adoption of English was axiomatic. It no longer is. You of the left revel at the balkaniztion of the nation, the weaker and more divisive the nation, the happier you are. Some of us have a different goal.

You are insanely incorrect.

There is only one 'form' of Japanese (leaving aside dialects). You need to speak to your friend again because you have been badly misinformed.

Furthermore, the attitude of the Japanese toward Cantonese and Mandarin is not what one would call "positive." (Language of the dogs is a common phrase.)

Making English the official language does not mean that everyone will have to speak english. The woman in line behind you in the supermarket can still yell at her kids in Spanish. The guy at the gas station can still speak Hindu to his worker. We are a multicultural society and like it or not, you will still be exposed to other languages

Then what is the problem?

All it means is that Government publications and websites cannot be presented in other languages.

Then what is the problem?

It means that the government cannot communicate with the people in a language they understand. It means that more people will not receive critical information.

Let me google that for you

Actually usually only folks inside the US refer to it as America and not everyone there either.

Utter bullshit, and idiotic.

All of Europe and Asia speak of Americans with the specific meaning of the USA.

Anyone with a miniscule amount of knowledge realizes the difference in USA and America... Don't site Wiki that is one of the worst citations you can pick on the net.

Besides, you'll hold your breath until you turn blue.

It is also illegal to dictate what language business is conducted in official or not...that has already been decided by the US supreme court which is why Social security

Two factors, an amendment nullifies any court dictates. Secondly, the SCOTUS currently has five constitutionalists on it. The radical left court of prior eras is over. Obama appointed an idiot and an open Marxist to the court, but they replaced leftists. Sotomayor lowered the aggregate IQ of the court by 40%, but she didn't alter the balance. Kagan might have Che posters in her office, but again, she didn't alter the balance.

provides translated documents as well as voter ballots being printed in other languages.

Time for that nonsense to stop.

How is my opinion irrelevant when I can vote in the US and pay taxes there as well? Sorry, but you could not be more wrong.

The opinions of those speaking of US Federal law are relevant only for those who are US citizens.

so are you saying there are no Us citizens living abroad? I am a Us citizen living in Honduras..that is why the discussion came up about someone who is in Honduras having an opinion...you say they are relevant for Us citizens only...well I guess you sort of stepped on your own foot there.

so are you saying there are no Us citizens living abroad?

US citizens living abroad are Americans. If you are Honduran, then you are a citizen of Honduras.

I am a Us citizen living in Honduras..that is why the discussion came up about someone who is in Honduras having an opinion...you say they are relevant for Us citizens only...well I guess you sort of stepped on your own foot there.

Do you think California and Arizona rightfully belong to Mexico?

yeah that pesky constitution never mattered anyway did it?

You've obviously never seen, much less read the US Constitution.

and you obviously do not know what you are talking about. I have most certainly read it and in fact MEMORIZED it when I was a teenager. English only ballots would violate equal protection rights and the voting rights of non English speaking US citizens...such as Puerto Ricans, Native Americans, and elderly naturalized citizens who had no English requirement to become a citizen. Sit down and take the time to read Section 203 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965

Last edited:
yeah that pesky constitution never mattered anyway did it?

You've obviously never seen, much less read the US Constitution.

and you obviously do not know what you are talking about. I have most certainly read it and in fact MEMORIZED it when I was a teenager. English only ballots would violate equal protection rights and the voting rights of non English speaking US citizens...such as Puerto Ricans, Native Americans, and elderly naturalized citizens who had no English requirement to become a citizen. Sit down and take the time to read Section 203 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965

I dont know many Puerto Ricans who dont speak English. Dont know many people from Guam who dont either.

Forum List

Back