English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It took my step dad about 12 years of living and working here to become a citizen. I dont know the whole process, but the powers that be made sure he had an understanding of basic English. He never had to have a ballot in any language other then English. I work with a guy who got amnesty in the 80's. He never needed a ballot in any language other then English. We speak English. If an individual wants to live here they should to. Its not unreasonable.

It depends on your goal.

If you seek a civil and cohesive society, what you say is true.

For those like RW, the goal is anything but a cohesive society. The revolution isn't going to occur with everyone rowing the boat in the same direction.

We desperately need to go back to our old immigration system. Our immigration system nowadays is seriously screwed up........
I agreed up to this point but....

.We must go back to immigrants being thoroughly checked out before being allowed to enter.
immigrants weren't thoroughly checked previously they were simply checked for diseases

They need to have a sponsor who is fully responsible for the immigrant, and held accountable along with the immigtant for their actions.
A person is biographically responisble for the person they sponser in immigration. Not everyone requires a sponser though it depends on how you immigrate. You can't hold a person responsible for someone else's actions, but financially you can and they are held financially responsible.

They must demonstrate that they have money in their pocket to survive, and will not be immediately applying to suck off the system. No money, no entrance. They need to be fully versed in English before becoming a citizen......

all of these things are already requirements. You don't know much about our current immigration requirements do you? They don't require you to be fully versed, but that would be ridiculous, most natural born citizens aren't fully versed in English.

And of course, CLOSE OFF THAT SOUTHERN BORDER, AND START CHECKING OUT EVERYBODY WHO COMES ACROSS IT...It is a major disaster that is just waiting to happen.

Why just the southern border?

Why, after more than 100 posts, can't you learn how to operate the QUOTE function?

:eusa_eh:

I have been posting for two days...any more unimportant crap to complain about?

Carrying on about your education and apparent superior intellect.

Just figured with all that ejoomikayshun you'd be able to make it more clear who the hell you're talking to, s'all

:eusa_whistle:

And 2 days?
120+ posts?

60+ per day????

CoonHog is that you???
:lol:

I don't know or really care who Coonhog is..but right now I have some extra time on my hands and came over from another board...like Is aid..the topic is what we should be discussing that is what is important..got something to complain about with my posts take it to the appropriate place and stop trying to derail the thread.

I don't know or really care who Coonhog is..but right now I have some extra time on my hands and came over from another board...like Is aid..the topic is what we should be discussing that is what is important..got something to complain about with my posts take it to the appropriate place and stop trying to derail the thread.

You never answered earlier, do you think that California and Arizona rightfully belong to Mexico, and should be returned?

You never answered earlier, do you think that California and Arizona rightfully belong to Mexico, and should be returned?

No, why would I think that? I think that too much time has passed. Do I think the Mexican American war is a shameful part of our past? Yes, but do I think that the Southwest belongs to or should be returned? No.

No, why would I think that?

It's the position of MEchA and La Raza, the Atzlan factions.

I just wondered how wacky you are.

I think that too much time has passed. Do I think the Mexican American war is a shameful part of our past? Yes, but do I think that the Southwest belongs to or should be returned? No.

Shameful in what way? Is the uprising in Libya also shameful? Do people have the right to cast of rulers they oppose?

I am not going to waste my time with those who don't believe in language - borders - culture as important for the United States to retain and protect. I just hope and pray they remain in a small minority.

The basics of current Immigration policy:

Eligibility Requirements

If you are a green card holder of at least 5 years, you must meet the following requirements in order to apply for naturalization:

Be 18 or older

Be a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application

Have continuous residence in the United States as a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of the filing the application

Be physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application

Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization up to the time of naturalization

Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).

Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law
USCIS - Path to U.S. Citizenship

The advantage of making English the official language of government and business is that immigrants will make the effort to master the language well enough to communicate and will see to it that their children are sufficiently fluent in English to attend public schools. This gives the immigrants a huge advantage in being able to realize the American dream.

It eliminates mega millions in costs to the federal and state government when they do not need to provide everything in more than one language. (It also ends discrimination against other ethnic groups when Spanish is favored as a second language but those who speak Japanese, Portuguese, Chinese etc. are not equally accommodated.)

It releases huge amounts of school funding to be focused on educating all the kids instead of accommodating kids who can't speak English.

In West Texas our church sponsored a Cuban family who was fleeing Fidel Castro's brutal regime. The father had been a political prisoner. He had only half of his left foot - when he had an injury and gangrene deveoped, his captors solved it by whacking off half the foot with an ax. No anesthetic was given prior to that procedure. The other stories the family brought were equally horrendous.

So with my Santa Fe street Spanish and our pastor's imperfect French, we were able to communicate sufficiently for the father to become the church janitor. It was a stop gap job until he could learn the language and satisfy requirement to apply for citizenship. We located a Mexican family who could work with all the new family in English instruction. And no, there were no government programs providing such instruction.

Within six months the family had learned enough English for the kids to enroll in school, for mom to be able to accept part time work, and the dad was hired in middle management in a small manufacturing plant until he could qualify to get his teaching certificate. (He had been a teacher in Cuba.)

A happy success story. Those people arrived with nothing and within a couple of years that family had worked themselves squarely into the middle class. With NO government help I might add. It did take the father about four years to get that teaching certificate. When I last saw him and the Mrs. about 20 years ago, they barely spoke with an accent. Remarkable people.

No, why would I think that?

It's the position of MEchA and La Raza, the Atzlan factions.

I just wondered how wacky you are.

I think that too much time has passed. Do I think the Mexican American war is a shameful part of our past? Yes, but do I think that the Southwest belongs to or should be returned? No.

Shameful in what way? Is the uprising in Libya also shameful? Do people have the right to cast of rulers they oppose?

It is shameful because we engaged in manifest destiny it was not about rising up against rulers it was about expanding beyond intended territories and taking land that did not belong to us...except we claimed it was our god given right...we didn't get as much as we wanted though..manifest destiny was supposed to include the entire continent.

I don't belong to Mecha or La Raza or any other group for that matter.

Coolbreeze, and the same can be said for a lot of Americans traveling abroad..for some wierd reason not only do they insist that everyone speak perfect American English they also want them to do the same when they visit other countries and get offended when there is no one who speaks perfect English. I have watched it in action right here in San Pedro Sula. The gentlemen said to the guy who was a taxi driver*remember taxi drivers aren't exactly educated folks* I need a taxi driver that speaks English...no no ingles señor and the guy was ticked that he couldn't find someone who could court to his need. He turned and looked at me and said they need to learn English...I looked back at him flatly in my southern accent and said, no, you need to learn Spanish. It was one of those times that I took advantage of this learn English crap...people don't learn English overnight just like you would not learn Spanish overnight and never in your lifetime will you likely learn perfect Spanish if you were to try.

Oh, bullshit.

actually no not bullshit...there is an entire community of folks here that live in what seems a small area..all Americans and very few of them actually speak Spanish...and this is a Spanish speaking country.

Yes, bullshit. That's not what you said, you said that even if a person were to try, they will likely never speak perfect Spanish, not even over the course of a lifetime.

It would take a special kind of stupid to not master Spanish over the course of a lifetime, attempting to learn.

Nice story Fox, but not all people are as fortunate to be able to pick up the language as well...and it takes a tremendous amount of time not just something that occurs which means there has to be translation for those who are still starting out. I know people who have learned English in 2 years and some who have been in the US and actually made effort and still do not speak English well enough to be understood in 15 years time. My STBX has been in the US for 19 years, his accent is horrible. He speaks and understands English, but he cannot write very well in English. He spent most of his time working from sunup to sundown and picked English up at work. Someone with access to school as much as the person in your example is invariably going to learn faster than someone who works 14 hours or more a day in a job where they are not exposed to people who can teach them English.

I have a point of contention with our immigration laws when it comes to Cubans...yes, they escaped Fidel Castro...we have Mexicans running like hell from the Zetas and Central Americans too...and they are far more brutal than Castro has been.

Oh, bullshit.

actually no not bullshit...there is an entire community of folks here that live in what seems a small area..all Americans and very few of them actually speak Spanish...and this is a Spanish speaking country.

Yes, bullshit. That's not what you said, you said that even if a person were to try, they will likely never speak perfect Spanish, not even over the course of a lifetime.

It would take a special kind of stupid to not master Spanish over the course of a lifetime, attempting to learn.

For an adult to learn perfect regional Spanish, in say Honduras, minus the accent is not going to happen. I use Honduras because the Spanish here is loaded with idioms and very difficult for non Spanish speakers to pick up and it is fairly difficult for people who speak Spanish to pick up as well if they are not from here...

We say things like

hasta las queques, que pijiada le dio, deja de paja, me debe pisto, vaya jodido, and so forth...o and words like guirro, cipote, chiuin, all words you won't find in your dictionary.

It is shameful because we engaged in manifest destiny it was not about rising up against rulers it was about expanding beyond intended territories and taking land that did not belong to us...

Manifest destiny had nothing to do with the Mexican American war. (Say, "American?" Damn...)

Manifest destiny was Polk's push Westward. the Mexican American war was sparked by the refusal of Mexico to recognize the independence of Texas, who had indeed risen up against their Mexican rulers. Mexico declared war on the USA, not vice versa. Because it was a stupid act by a nation in a defacto civil war, Mexico fared poorly. in addition, Mexico was already deeply in debt to the USA due to borrowing to fund the aforementioned civil war. Mexico sold California and New Mexico for the price of those debts.

Drop the leftist bullshit and learn some history.

except we claimed it was our god given right...we didn't get as much as we wanted though..manifest destiny was supposed to include the entire continent.

It is shameful because we engaged in manifest destiny it was not about rising up against rulers it was about expanding beyond intended territories and taking land that did not belong to us...

Manifest destiny had nothing to do with the Mexican American war. (Say, "American?" Damn...)

Manifest destiny was Polk's push Westward. the Mexican American war was sparked by the refusal of Mexico to recognize the independence of Texas, who had indeed risen up against their Mexican rulers. Mexico declared war on the USA, not vice versa. Because it was a stupid act by a nation in a defacto civil war, Mexico fared poorly. in addition, Mexico was already deeply in debt to the USA due to borrowing to fund the aforementioned civil war. Mexico sold California and New Mexico for the price of those debts.

Drop the leftist bullshit and learn some history.

except we claimed it was our god given right...we didn't get as much as we wanted though..manifest destiny was supposed to include the entire continent.

leftist bs? Oh whatever, I am hardly a leftist. Now that is out of the way...you perhaps are the one who should learn some history since the Mexican American war was the first conflict driven by the idea of Manifest Destiny....figured you would know that before saying something like you just did...but clearly you did not.
The History Guy: The U.S.-Mexican War (1846-1848)

In fact, Polk was the president when we became involved in the conflict..but nah he didn't have anything to do with it according to you....

For an adult to learn perfect regional Spanish, in say Honduras, minus the accent is not going to happen. I use Honduras because the Spanish here is loaded with idioms and very difficult for non Spanish speakers to pick up and it is fairly difficult for people who speak Spanish to pick up as well if they are not from here...

We say things like

hasta las queques, que pijiada le dio, deja de paja, me debe pisto, vaya jodido, and so forth...o and words like guirro, cipote, chiuin, all words you won't find in your dictionary.

Okay. You just keep moving those goal posts there, sunshine. I do believe we're done here.

Forum List

Back