English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
and you obviously do not know what you are talking about. I have most certainly read it and in fact MEMORIZED it when I was a teenager.

Sure you did....

{Section. 2.

Clause 1: The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

Clause 2: No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

Clause 3: Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. (See Note 2) The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.

Clause 4: When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.

Clause 5: The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment. }

Well damn, nothing there about printing in foreign languages...

English only ballots would violate equal protection rights and the voting rights of non English speaking US citizens...such as Puerto Ricans, Native Americans, and elderly naturalized citizens who had no English requirement to become a citizen. Sit down and take the time to read Section 203 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965

Bullshit.

{Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. }

Try again, sparky.

. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. }

what part of no law shall abridge the priviledges or immunities of citizens did you not understand?

Also, what you copied and pasted is not the entire constitution ...so look in the mirror next time when you call someone sparky.

. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. }

what part of no law shall abridge the priviledges or immunities of citizens did you not understand?

What privilege do you see abridged by not providing ballots in Tagalog or Swahili?

For well over a hundred years, the courts at all levels held that equal protection confers that the federal government may not overtly impugn the rights of citizens. Activists over the last 30 years have attempted to alter the concept to that of passive and incidental acts. Under the current climate, I don't see the radical change in jurisprudence occurring.

Try again, Sparky.

You are insanely incorrect.

There is only one 'form' of Japanese (leaving aside dialects). You need to speak to your friend again because you have been badly misinformed.

Furthermore, the attitude of the Japanese toward Cantonese and Mandarin is not what one would call "positive." (Language of the dogs is a common phrase.)

No, it is not a common phrase, and a great many Japanese people study Chinese. Don't try to project your own issues.

What privilege do you see abridged by not providing ballots in Tagalog or Swahili?

If that US citizen speaks Tagalog or Swahili and cannot read Engish, perhaps they speak it but cannot read it because they came to the US as a 50 year old then it abridges their right to vote.

Tagalog or Swahili ? Those are pretty obscure languages, with the first having different dialects. If either were ones native tongue, and they are here, chances are they speak English.

Tagalog or Swahili ? Those are pretty obscure languages, with the first having different dialects. If either were ones native tongue, and they are here, chances are they speak English.

yes, they are pretty obscure languages and chances are they do speak English, but speaking English and actually reading English are two different things.

Coolbreeze, and the same can be said for a lot of Americans traveling abroad..for some wierd reason not only do they insist that everyone speak perfect American English they also want them to do the same when they visit other countries and get offended when there is no one who speaks perfect English. I have watched it in action right here in San Pedro Sula. The gentlemen said to the guy who was a taxi driver*remember taxi drivers aren't exactly educated folks* I need a taxi driver that speaks English...no no ingles señor and the guy was ticked that he couldn't find someone who could court to his need. He turned and looked at me and said they need to learn English...I looked back at him flatly in my southern accent and said, no, you need to learn Spanish. It was one of those times that I took advantage of this learn English crap...people don't learn English overnight just like you would not learn Spanish overnight and never in your lifetime will you likely learn perfect Spanish if you were to try.

Oh, bullshit.

If that US citizen speaks Tagalog or Swahili and cannot read Engish, perhaps they speak it but cannot read it because they came to the US as a 50 year old then it abridges their right to vote.

No, it does not.

The federal government is restrained from passing laws with overtly impugn rights. Passive consequence is not and cannot by the purvey of statute.

If you get drunk and crash your car into a telephone poll on the day of an election, you will not be able to vote. This does not create an onus for the federal government to remove all telephone polls, though. It is your responsibility to comply with the parameters necessary for voting. It is not the responsibility of the government to remove all obstacles.

Coolbreeze, and the same can be said for a lot of Americans traveling abroad..for some wierd reason not only do they insist that everyone speak perfect American English they also want them to do the same when they visit other countries and get offended when there is no one who speaks perfect English. I have watched it in action right here in San Pedro Sula. The gentlemen said to the guy who was a taxi driver*remember taxi drivers aren't exactly educated folks* I need a taxi driver that speaks English...no no ingles señor and the guy was ticked that he couldn't find someone who could court to his need. He turned and looked at me and said they need to learn English...I looked back at him flatly in my southern accent and said, no, you need to learn Spanish. It was one of those times that I took advantage of this learn English crap...people don't learn English overnight just like you would not learn Spanish overnight and never in your lifetime will you likely learn perfect Spanish if you were to try.

Oh, bullshit.

actually no not bullshit...there is an entire community of folks here that live in what seems a small area..all Americans and very few of them actually speak Spanish...and this is a Spanish speaking country.

yes, they are pretty obscure languages and chances are they do speak English, but speaking English and actually reading English are two different things.

It took my step dad about 12 years of living and working here to become a citizen. I dont know the whole process, but the powers that be made sure he had an understanding of basic English. He never had to have a ballot in any language other then English. I work with a guy who got amnesty in the 80's. He never needed a ballot in any language other then English. We speak English. If an individual wants to live here they should to. Its not unreasonable.

Forum List

Back