English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jester, you need to verse yourself in immigration law and what is required before you start preaching to the choir. Sounds like you didn't realize all those things were required already that you suggested. however,English has never been an official language and it should not be. Why? quite simple....we have no need to make anything official as we aren't Iran or Cuba.
Xchel, you need to understand that this is the United States of America, and not some third world toilet in Central or South America. And that there are those in this country who will fight to ensure it never becomes one big shithole like those regions.

You want a perfect example of what those from south of the border do when they come to this country, look no further then what they've done to the San Fernando Valley in Southern California.......They turned what was a suburban oasis into a frigging hellhole, in record time.....And it's the same story in cities and towns all across the southwest.....Enough is enough.

Oh so you think that you are the only one with rights in the US right? Never mind that you don't get the exclusive authority to decide anything..our founders had no need to declare an official language and quite frankly it is stupid insecurity of anyone that thinks we need to do such a thing..English is not in danger of becoming extinct..and if Spanish became dominate what is the big deal really with what language it is that we speak?
English is the language of this country. Everything is based around English. It should be made the official language once and for all......And I guarantee, if it ever goes to vote, it will resoundingly become the official language, as it should.

If you want to speak that spanish jibberish, go ahead. It's my right to not listen or recognize the crap. Just as it was my right to require all my employees to speak English only, while on the job. But then, if they didn't speak perfectly fluent English, then they were never hired in the first place.

I speak Spanish, but it is hardly jibberish. I also speak English and Cherokee. No it is not your right to require English only of all of your employees..that is a good way to get yourself sued and no longer have a business if you keep it up..why? Several others had that attitude and found out they were wrong. You can require a person know English if it is a safety need, but you cannot require that they speak English only. You clearly don't own a business or you would know better.
No, I had every right to require English only during business hours...Restaurant Kitchens are very dangerous places. Mis-communications can cause serious injuries or cost lives.....And, I needed no reason whatsover to fire anybody. Either they toed the line, or they packed. As long as they were on the clock, it was my rules.... What they did on their breaks, or lunch hours was their business. As long as they were outside the bulding, they could speak whatever jibberish they chose.

English is the language of this country. Everything is based around English. It should be made the official language once and for all......And I guarantee, if it ever goes to vote, it will resoundingly become the official language, as it should.

If you want to speak that spanish jibberish, go ahead. It's my right to not listen or recognize the crap. Just as it was my right to require all my employees to speak English only, while on the job. But then, if they didn't speak perfectly fluent English, then they were never hired in the first place.

I speak Spanish, but it is hardly jibberish. I also speak English and Cherokee. No it is not your right to require English only of all of your employees..that is a good way to get yourself sued and no longer have a business if you keep it up..why? Several others had that attitude and found out they were wrong. You can require a person know English if it is a safety need, but you cannot require that they speak English only. You clearly don't own a business or you would know better.
No, I had every right to require English only during business hours...Restaurant Kitchens are very dangerous places. Mis-communications can cause serious injuries or cost lives.....And, I needed no reason whatsover to fire anybody. Either they toed the line, or they packed. As long as they were on the clock, it was my rules.... What they did on their breaks, or lunch hours was their business. As long as they were outside the bulding, they could speak whatever jibberish they chose.

and you would be wrong...I know plenty about restaurant kitchens, my grandparents owned a restaurant in Amarillo, Texas and there is no urgent English only need there.
Here are a few cases for you to think about...and while we are discussing it, my ex husband owns a trucking business and clearly there is a dangerous situation there that involves communication...if he doesn't require English only you are going to have a very hard time arguing that your dishwasher can't talk to another dishwasher in Spanish or Chinese because it is a safety issue..there is no need to speak English to one another there and there is no impending danger from it.

Two cases recently have involved "English-only" rules. In the first case, the EEOC has reached settlement of a case involving eight Hispanic workers of Watlow Batavia, Inc., who were either disciplined or fired for speaking Spanish in the workplace. Watlow Batavia, a manufacturer, in August 1998 barred communication in languages other than English during work hours, including breaks and lunch periods. One employee was fired for saying "good morning" in Spanish to a coworker. Under the settlement, the employer will pay a total of $192,500. EEOC v. Watlow Batavia Inc., N.D. Ill., No. 99C1435, consent decree (9/1/00).

In a second case, a class-action suit was filed by the EEOC on behalf of Hispanic workers against Premier Operator Services Inc. for national origin discrimination in violation of Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The employees were initially hired by Premier, a long-distance telephone-operator service, because of their bilingual ability.

In 1996, Premier instituted an English-only policy during employee lunch periods and breaks. Hispanic employees were fired, laid off, or replaced over the next few months following their objecting to the policy, filing of EEOC complaints, or refusing to sign a memo describing the policy. A federal magistrate judge ordered Premier to pay $710,000 in damages to 13 Hispanic employees because the company's English-only policy "constitutes disparate treatment ... based upon their national origin." EEOC v. Premier Operator Services Inc., N.D. Tex., No. 3:98-CV-198-BF (9/13/00).

The three types of Japanese are kanji, hiragana, and katakana...there are dozens of dialects of Japanese, not just three.

Those are not three "types" of Japanese, genius. Those are three parts of the syllabary of the ONE Japanese language.

You know what they say about a little knowledge...

You are highly misinformed.

Last edited:
Unkotare, yes, which makes the language DIFFERENT, Japanese is a bit different than English.

All languages are different. What you described is most certainly NOT "the three different kinds of Japanese," and Japanese students are NOT "required to learn five languages."

No, the only problem is you being a pretentious douche.

Sure thing there Skippy.
icon14.gif

:lmao:

Making English the official language does not mean that everyone will have to speak english. The woman in line behind you in the supermarket can still yell at her kids in Spanish. The guy at the gas station can still speak Hindu to his worker. We are a multicultural society and like it or not, you will still be exposed to other languages

All it means is that Government publications and websites cannot be presented in other languages. It means that the government cannot communicate with the people in a language they understand. It means that more people will not receive critical information.

Making English the official language does not mean that everyone will have to speak english. The woman in line behind you in the supermarket can still yell at her kids in Spanish. The guy at the gas station can still speak Hindu to his worker. We are a multicultural society and like it or not, you will still be exposed to other languages

All it means is that Government publications and websites cannot be presented in other languages. It means that the government cannot communicate with the people in a language they understand. It means that more people will not receive critical information.
English is the official language in Florida. The ballots are still printed in English, Spanish, and Creole. It is still possible to get information from the government in other languages besides English.

It was nothing but a feel-good amendment designed to pander to xenophobes.

English is the official language in Florida. The ballots are still printed in English, Spanish, and Creole. It is still possible to get information from the government in other languages besides English.

exactly which means it is senseless to waste time and money on it. Why debate it? It costs money that we don't have and should be spending on something else.

exactly which means it is senseless to waste time and money on it. Why debate it? It costs money that we don't have and should be spending on something else.

It's a political issue that is obviously important to more than a few so some politicians are gonna latch onto it to pander to that demographic. See, it's simple.

Forum List

Back